Joelinton

Stifler

Actually probably his best game since joining, looked half decent in a few spells in the game, particularly first half.

Some decent link-up play in the first half. Still doesn't ever look like scoring though.

He battles against his markers but never seems to find any space.  Compare that to the space that Salah creates for himself.

I just can't see any outstanding attributes that Joelinton might have that makes him worth £40 mill

Actually probably his best game since joining, looked half decent in a few spells in the game, particularly first half.

Agree, but noteably that was because we were playing the ball on the deck for most of the game yesterday. Unfortunately we gave away two goals trying to play the ball out so I expect we'll go back to long ball on Saturday.

This guy has talent man, and the way things are going we are not going to get to enjoy it at all. Just such a massive shame.

Everyone feels we were too attacking yesterday, but IMO we should stick with that setup and really drill it into the players so it is more disciplined defensively.

It brought the best out of the big man. Set up Gayle beautifully early on and just a few moments later setup younger Longstaff for the goal.

He was getting to touch the ball more often early on with options around him and he was getting into it, but unfortunately the idiocy at the back ruined it all.

We have to find a way to keep people around him going forward. Really good things will come of it. The guy has some really interesting ability at his size.

This club is just so so frustrating.

Agree, but noteably that was because we were playing the ball on the deck for most of the game yesterday. Unfortunately we gave away two goals trying to play the ball out so I expect we'll go back to long ball on Saturday.

I think we can find a balance. Try to play it out, but not be quite so tied to it.

Even using some of the long balls we have used previously, wouldn't have looked quite as bad yesterday because there was someone alongside Joelinton this time that could work with him up there.

I really hope we try the same system with Hayden and Shelvey in there for the Longstaffs, but also then find a balance playing it out from the back,

Gayle must have lost his mind. Yes, that chance in the other game was on a plate!

I wish we could see Muto up there with Joelinton. I've always liked Muto in his cameos. He's quick and really sharp. Hasn't got near enough chances and it's weird.

Yes both he and Carroll have been way too isolated.

We have a decent number of strikers where we really should be using a pair up top, as we do not play well enough to just have one of them up there alone.

Even Saint-Maximin coming back and playing as a second striker would be very interesting as well.

I think we can find a balance. Try to play it out, but not be quite so tied to it.

Even using some of the long balls we have used previously, wouldn't have looked quite as bad yesterday because there was someone alongside Joelinton this time that could work with him up there.

I really hope we try the same system with Hayden and Shelvey in there for the Longstaffs, but also then find a balance playing it out from the back,

I think playing it out from the back is absolutely the way to go, and will definitely suit the type of players we have signed. We shouldn't let a bad day at the office change that. Schar and Longstaff aren't going to make mistakes like that every day of the week. By all means mix it up a bit, but in Maximin, Almiron, Muto and Joelinton, you have players who are going to look a lot better when you are passing the ball to feet rather than hoofing it in the air.

Like I said we have to mix it up.

Under Bruce we will never be able to play it out from the back as a staple with any consistency.

He won't be able to drill into the players the necessary positioning and movement required.

I could be wrong, but from what I have seen he seems more of a creative player rather someone that will score 10 to 15 goals per season under the correct coaching. I actually think him and Rondon up front would have been an interesting partnership up front.

He is a warning sign though from what is to come from the club next summer if its still a Premier League club. They signed a player that was given no consideration if he would fit into a managers plans, they only cared about how much profit could be made from him which is the same mistake we have made from the likes of Thauvin and Cabella. The club will protest that no club gives any manager full power to sign who they want which is true these days, but no club sign players without any consideration for how they fit into a team.

There will be more signings like this in the summer which will make the squad even more unbalanced.

It’s like they magically thought a raw, young Brazilian striker will hit the ground running under the expert tutelage of a proven manager and coach in Steve Bruce. A man who has a track record for developing strikers from outside of England. That the atmosphere post Rafa leaving,  Rondon and Perez going was going to not cause any issues for said young player. A player with documented homesickness.

;D

It’s like they magically thought a raw, young Brazilian striker will hit the ground running under the expert tutelage of a proven manager and coach in Steve Bruce.

It worked the other way round though. Big Phil Scolari signed Geoff Horsfield for £30m in the late nineties and he was Palmeiras' top goalscorer for years.