Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

9 minutes ago, Big River said:

most of the discussion has been based around what he offers on the pitch, which is fair enough of course, as that's all we really get to see.

but what if (like some people have suspected all along) he's a total nightmare behind the scenes? regularly kicks up a fuss, ignores coaches/staff advice, and is generally just a moody arsehole? would people be happier shifting him knowing that was the case?

because not to get all ITK, but I've heard first hand (from sources inside the club) that's he's all of those things above and more. he's really not well liked. so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're cutting our losses, despite what he can do on the pitch. and he's been told we're finding him a new club.

:lol: sorry to make one of those posts, but there you go. don't shot the messenga

jacob-murphy-nufc.gif

Juicy 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

CL value is worth more over the long term. It immediately raises our profile so we'll be worth more in sponsorships, more fans getting on board so more shirt sales etc. It's not just about the initial payoff. Obviously the more consistently we qualify the more it compounds, but even one season will have a massive impact.

Agreed but a one off is not so much cash where people should be saying “yeah we can buy - we’re in the CL now”

Admit I’m not his biggest fan but just checked his stats and he got 5 assists last season compared to murphys 2, joelingtons 1, longstaffs 2, miggys 1 etc.

that’s still quite impressive for his limited time.

11 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Only sell if we have a better replacement lined up. And even then it’s a risk. See Sancho/Antony. PL production isn’t easy to find 

Sancho would be AMAZING under Howe. Guarantee it.

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Admit I’m not his biggest fan but just checked his stats and he got 5 assists last season compared to murphys 2, joelingtons 1, longstaffs 2, miggys 1 etc.

that’s still quite impressive for his limited time.

Could've had 5 or 6 more if anyone could finish. 

13 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Only sell if we have a better replacement lined up. And even then it’s a risk. See Sancho/Antony. PL production isn’t easy to find 

Gordon is the replacement.

7 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

That won’t be enough. Gordon is useful on transitions but relying on him when teams sit deep, which they will next season, is a fools errand imo 

The issue when teams sit deep will be rectified in other areas of the pitch, which appears to be on the right wing and through the middle from the positions we are looking at.

I think Joelinton will start wide left and Willock on the left of midfield, the right is in for a makeover.

54 minutes ago, Big River said:

most of the discussion has been based around what he offers on the pitch, which is fair enough of course, as that's all we really get to see.

but what if (like some people have suspected all along) he's a total nightmare behind the scenes? regularly kicks up a fuss, ignores coaches/staff advice, and is generally just a moody arsehole? would people be happier shifting him knowing that was the case?

because not to get all ITK, but I've heard first hand (from sources inside the club) that's he's all of those things above and more. he's really not well liked. so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're cutting our losses, despite what he can do on the pitch. and he's been told we're finding him a new club.

:lol: sorry to make one of those posts, but there you go. don't shot the messenga

Can I shoot the messenger? I'm not sure why you would post this unless you can verifiably say it's the certain truth.  

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

Can I shoot the messenger? I'm not sure why you would post this unless you can verifiably say it's the certain truth.  

it is the certain truth. where did I allude to it being anything but?

59 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It does, because we haven't. Simple as that.

The transfer window isn’t even open yet ? Let’s judge at the end of the window but fairly confident it will be strong enough to include ASM. Especially when Manchester United carry the likes of Antony and Sancho.

Whatever happens we have too trust in Eddie Howe because he's earned it and then some.

I don't want Maxi to go just as most don't I would think and nothing suggests he is going anywhere except for whoever reads whatever into his post, which I've already stated my view that he's staying.

A few things we know for certain.

1. We are in the champions league.

2. We will be adding more top quality to the squad.

3 A certain amount of players will certainly be leaving the club.

We have a manager that's diligent and leaves no stone unturned in his quest to make this club a full on force along with the coaching staff and the obvious full on change of personnel in the scouting market and so on.

Very few players will want to leave this club unless they are forced to leave or in some cases a boyhood dream club comes in for the odd player, which generally accounts for players of most clubs in the world.

Which club can offer Maxi a better set up than Newcastle United, as it stands?

Very few in my honest opinion.

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No he wouldn't. He doesn't have that work rate or dog in him to succeed at the highest level.

Incredibly harsh to judge him on his time at Man United. He's had a number of personal issues, but saying he hasn't got the dog in him to succeed is a huge assumption.

We'd written a number of our own players off until Howe got hold of them.

Sancho will go back to Germany and sort himself out again anyway.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't totally buy that. The whole team dribbles - A LOT. Joe, Willock, Bruno. Murphy, Almiron, Gordon are also all ball carriers.

This thread irks me, so I'll try and stay out after this post.

Personally, I want our most talented players to succeed at this club, and I'd like ASM to stay and fight for his place. I will never understand the eagerness in some quarters to move on big talents if they're willing to stay, fight and improve.

Pictures below from last season. I remember a stat showing that he had the most amount of dribbles out of all players in Europes top 5 leagues. We had a 39% possession last season, third lowest in the league. Yet he made this crazy amount of dribbles. In 20/21 we had the second lowest, and in 19/20 we had the least amount of possession out of all teams. In both of those seasons he was top 3 in attempted dribbles in the entire league. So, clearly our tactics relied a lot more on counter attacks by having Maxi dribble his way through. His decision making issues became more apparent this season when we were playing a different style of football, moving the ball around quicker. I mean his dribbling stats are impressive, but you don't get these number by passing the ball away quickly.

a1b59d9a01283ca79af44a5bdbeac669.thumb.png.4a02a280e04a984344d11f5b64f07509.png

f638e2fbf59a26acc15d76775871c977.png

And I'm not really hoping that he leaves, that's not my point. I just think that the old playstyle played to his strengths more, while the new playstyle suits the players that you mentioned more. I think that's why he hasn't progressed as much as the others with the new playstyle.

Edited by Erikse

If he does go it is a shame that his best endeavours have come when the club was not at all likeable. He kept us up close to singlehandedly and at any other time would have been revered for this. He misses out on a lot of love because it was at the height of anti-Ashley malaise. He is a phenenomenal talent and I'd rather keep him. I should think if he does move, no small part will be down to him wanting to feature more regularly. 

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Incredibly harsh to judge him on his time at Man United. He's had a number of personal issues, but saying he hasn't got the dog in him to succeed is a huge assumption.

Maybe it is harsh.  

For all I doubt Antony’s talent. He has that tenacity in his game.  Garnacho has it.  Rashford has it when he’s in the groove.  Saka has always had it. Even when attacking ASM has it. Sancho plays almost half hearted. There’s ability there. But not the application or the determinant imo. 

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Maybe it is harsh.  

For all I doubt Antony’s talent. He has that tenacity in his game.  Garnacho has it.  Rashford has it when he’s in the groove.  Saka has always had it. Even when attacking ASM has it. Sancho plays almost half hearted. There’s ability there. But not the application or the determinant imo. 

Maybe a bit too much tenacity…

https://twitter.com/deadlinedaylive/status/1666096773797138437?s=61&t=kJE1AU_9T9TvzyV_ebeY8Q

3 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

The issue when teams sit deep will be rectified in other areas of the pitch, which appears to be on the right wing and through the middle from the positions we are looking at.

I think Joelinton will start wide left and Willock on the left of midfield, the right is in for a makeover.

I’m not sure i really understand your point. To get at teams that sit in rigid defensive shapes you need someone who is going to pull people out of position, particularly wide players. Starting Joe wide left won’t solve anything, and if our only attacking threat is right, then we are gonna be shut down pretty quickly. We can’t just give up one side of the pitch 

3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

He will likely put up big numbers there because of the paucity of defences in that league. The Bundesliga tax for attackers is very real.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Maybe it is harsh.  

The intangibles as they like to say in the NFL. Agree 100 percent