Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Gordon isn't currently anymore effective than ASM... with less talent

That’s true but missing the point no? I think what people are saying is basically who would you trust to follow a tactical instruction such as tracking back? ASM or Gordon? 

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

That’s true but missing the point no? I think what people are saying is basically who would you trust to follow a tactical instruction such as tracking back? ASM or Gordon? 

Neither. Gordon's off the ball positioning is one of his weaker attributes. They've both showed willing in second half of this past season but neither are particularly great at it.

Unless he's replaced with an upgrade getting rid is a nonsense.

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Not to have a go at him, but Gordon didn’t track back well at all since we signed him. Maybe that was down to fitness issues so we will see come next season 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Think that would be a huge mistake personally 

It’s important to note, this is just my hunch and not based upon anything. 

Whether it’s a mistake or not very much depends, I’m not convinced by Gordon yet but I am by Howe and he’s shown and proven his ability to transform a player. 

ASM is definitely one of the most talented players at the club and he’s definitely shown more effort since the Gaffa came in but is it enough?

Left

Maxi

Gordon

Anderson

Isak

Willock/Joelinton hybrid

Right

Almiron

Murphy

We're stacked with players on the left, the right side we have a glaring lack of ability, consistency and depth.

If we're needing to move one on this summer to help with FFP a bit, he's the one that is going to get the money in, we have no-one that's on the fringes of the team that would sell for that.

Use the £30m from Maxi plus whatever we were going to spend anyway on:

LB

CMx2 

RW

We're a helluva lot stronger across the starting XI.

24 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Neither are naturals at it and both are trying. Gordon has better work rate but doesn't know what to do with it and lacks stamina. ASM does a good job at it but lacks the natural workrate

So I would go with the more talented player if both are willing to try.

Guest reefatoon
52 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Neither are naturals at it and both are trying. Gordon has better work rate but doesn't know what to do with it and lacks stamina. ASM does a good job at it but lacks the natural workrate

So I would go with the more talented player if both are willing to try.

Or do what Eddie does and leave them both on the bench for options that currently work better in our system.

Edited by reefatoon

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Left

Maxi

Gordon

Anderson

Isak

Willock/Joelinton hybrid

Right

Almiron

Murphy

We're stacked with players on the left, the right side we have a glaring lack of ability, consistency and depth.

If we're needing to move one on this summer to help with FFP a bit, he's the one that is going to get the money in, we have no-one that's on the fringes of the team that would sell for that.

Use the £30m from Maxi plus whatever we were going to spend anyway on:

LB

CMx2 

RW

We're a helluva lot stronger across the starting XI.

When you look at the balance of the squad you’re right. We can afford to lose a LW and Maxi is currently our most saleable asset there. Sure he is talented but the group we have can arguably cover what he brings and offer more to the team defensively. I will miss him, but the money needs to be used elsewhere. He’s a brilliant talent, and I will look out for him, but he’s not really what we need.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There are big questions over Gordon/Anderson/Isak on the left though, none are perfect options at the moment. 

Signing a better left-back and midfielders would make us better overall though.

I don't know a single team in the league who can say they've went 4 years since selling a player for £20m plus, that's crazy.

FFP is a thing, we're going to have to at least pretend to stick to it at some point. Unless we're selling someone we've just bought like Bruno, Botman or Isak, I don't see anyone other than Maxi who will bring a fee in. 

1 hour ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Neither. Gordon's off the ball positioning is one of his weaker attributes. They've both showed willing in second half of this past season but neither are particularly great at it.

Unless he's replaced with an upgrade getting rid is a nonsense.

Tbf, watching Gordon catch up with and rob Sterling was surprising and heartening in equal measure. 

13 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Attention seeking vague shite that.

like a footballers equivalent of “im

foaming, can’t say why too many snakes on here. Inbox me hun xx” 😂

13 hours ago, Smal said:

"Thanks to everyone for the support, whatever happens, I will always give everything when I have the chance to step onto the pitch"

doesn't make it sound like he's off to me, like. It reads more like he's had a difficult season and wanted to say something. 

That's how I read it as well. Didn't see anything which would lead me to think he's leaving, at least not by choice.

Not sure why it's an absolute necessity for us to make a major sale this summer on FFP grounds. 

Don't think any of us know the full extent of what will be financially possible and what won't, or the finer details of FFP, but qualifying for the CL will afford us considerable leeway. Especially as we know the intention isn't to overhaul the squad, but bring in quality in a select number of positions. None of the targets I've seen credibly mentioned so far are really out of step in terms of budget or wages. 

Edited by Barnes23

I seem to remember there were some rumours at the start of the year that Maxi was upset with the club about something. Something they weren’t letting him do? 

Probably all bullshit but I def remember seeing some purported texts he had written 

https://twitter.com/milesstarforth/status/1665971288710561792

Starforth:

Asked Eddie Howe at Stamford Bridge about Allan Saint-Maximin’s importance at Newcastle next season. Howe spoke about the winger's ability, and stressed that his future role at the club would be ‘dictated by Maxi himself’. But will he still be here? 1/2 #nufc

Eddie Howe doesn’t have to sell this transfer window, but, we know, he’s quite prepared to move players out if it’s right for the club – and the player. It all depends on what offers are out there this summer – and what Allan Saint-Maximin wants to do. 2/2 #nufc

11 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Not sure why it's an absolute necessity for us to make a major sale this summer on FFP grounds. 

Don't think any of us know the full extent of what will be financially possible and what won't, or the finer details of FFP, but qualifying for the CL will afford us considerable leeway. Especially as we know the intention isn't to overhaul the squad, but bring in quality in a select number of positions. None of the targets I've seen credibly mentioned so far are really out of step in terms of budget or wages. 

Tend to agree, I think the FFP chat is mainly to downplay how much we can spend. 

We're not spending anything out of the ordinary for a PL club, and now we're about to have an increase in income and profile. 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There are big questions over Gordon/Anderson/Isak on the left though, none are perfect options at the moment. 

Yep sure, but neither is Maxi. Joe in there as well mind. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Signing a better left-back and midfielders would make us better overall though.

I don't know a single team in the league who can say they've went 4 years since selling a player for £20m plus, that's crazy.

FFP is a thing, we're going to have to at least pretend to stick to it at some point. Unless we're selling someone we've just bought like Bruno, Botman or Isak, I don't see anyone other than Maxi who will bring a fee in. 

Yep. 

Especially given how many games we actually got out of of Maxi on account of his fitness. I mean maybe those issues can be ironed out, but your first point is exactly why we should be considering letting him go.

5 hours ago, reefatoon said:

[emoji38] love it when Dan Burn is the blame for ASM’s lack of form this season. It’s so lazy.

You do realise he had either Dummet, Manquillo or Matt Ritchie playing behind him most of his time here [emoji38]

ASM’s form is not Dan Burns fault.

I havent blamed Burn for his form. I've simply stated the fact that Burn is a unique LB who really needs to be covered and also offers nothing going forward.