Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

24 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Why?

I've seen ASM unlock defences and produce moments of brilliance far above even the potential ceiling of Barnes. I also think he's really improved while he's been here too, is a better decision-maker and has not been in a strop when he's rotated for different situations. He's well liked internally, and he's feared by our opponents. Replacing his skillset is way more expensive than what I think Barnes would/should cost.

IMO.

I definitely think the "he doesn't look up" is a trope that has just been carried forward without reference to how he has improved over the past few years.

Maxi is great to watch, and gets me on the edge of my seat, but also he is as frustrating as hell in terms of decision making/end product. Ultimately Howe obviously sees him a dispensable. So I for one will back his judgement, I don't have any choice in the matter anyway, just need to make sure we get as much for him as possible. As for Barnes if we sign him, lets get behind the lad and hopefully he will be a roaring success.

I am disappointed, I love ASM's skill on the ball and unpredictability and think when he was fit he was generally much better than some thought, he also looked like he was trying to play howe ball when he returned from injury last season. I am always going to adore his style over that of Barnes, but Isak does bring similar skillful thrill to his play so it's not like it's totally gone from the team, as does Bruno in a different way. 

Viewing it as a straight swap is always going to feel odd as statistically of course Barnes is an upgrade, and yet the fun and joy of football is rarely if ever captured in the statistics. I am sad to see him go, but I am excited about Barnes too, not to the same degree I am about say Isak managing a full season, he is a known quantity, but his price reflects that, he is just another new attacker who will bring goals if not quite as much flair. I want the team to have bits of flair and joy, and I hope more players join who bring it, but I don't get why Barnes is measured by ASM who was always more promise than he actually delivered. It's sad, we will move on though. Anyone furious needs to calm down like.

Just now, Beren said:

I've seen ASM unlock defences and produce moments of brilliance far above even the potential ceiling of Barnes. I also think he's really improved while he's been here too, is a better decision-maker and has not been in a strop when he's rotated for different situations. He's well liked internally, and he's feared by our opponents. Replacing his skillset is way more expensive than what I think Barnes would/should cost.

IMO.

I definitely think the "he doesn't look up" is a trope that has just been carried forward without reference to how he has improved over the past few years.

I’d agree with what you say about him apart from the Barnes stuff. 

Watching him I don’t think he’s ever really fitted into what Howe wants although he’s tried. They obviously like and expect each other but I can’t see him fitting into what Howe wants, nothing to do with head up etc just he’s not a Howe type player.

As I've said before I'm an ASM fan and we'd have most likely dropped into the second tier without him when Bruce had the reigns. He's rightfully a cult hero here.

At the same time, we're talking about a player who has missed large spells of recent seasons through injury and who's end product has never quite matched his natural talent.

Barnes is almost the opposite, a no thrills player who uses his more limited skill set to consistently register double figures season after season.

I wish it didn't have to be one or the other, but in a team who suffered a mid-season finishing crisis the latter makes a lot of sense. ASM maybe the more exciting of the two but Barnes is the more effective. 

I don't see his lack of end product at all. There was a video knocking around a few months ago of the chances ASM had put on a plate this season that had been missed and it really was ridiculous. He's not clinical enough in front of goal but I think anyone arguing with his chance creation is being so disingenuous. I think he's part of our best XI personally.

His injury record is the only big thing that's a problem for me, he is prone and I don't think he's ever been keen on playing when he doesn't think he's 100%, he's not a fan of running an injury off.

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I don't see his lack of end product at all. There was a video knocking around a few months ago of the chances ASM had put on a plate this season that had been missed and it really was ridiculous. He's not clinical enough in front of goal but I think anyone arguing with his chance creation is being so disingenuous. I think he's part of our best XI personally.

His injury record is the only big thing that's a problem for me, he is prone and I don't think he's ever been keen on playing when he doesn't think he's 100%, he's not a fan of running an injury off.

It's ridiculous how often no end product is brought up and is then shown to be wrong like. It must happen at least once a fortnight on here.

Edited by Kid Icarus

20 minutes ago, LV said:

Once we know the actual fee I’d be interested to see a poll on who thinks selling him is a good idea or not 

It's a fucking terrible idea, even more so for next to bugger all, €25 I've read, I'd sooner keep him and take Barnes on loan with a fee agreed when the loan ends.

I've not seen much to indicate clubs are exactly queuing up to sign Barnes, seems we're the main suitors or West Ham, wouldn't hurt to take him on loan first, unless Leicester are only interested in selling, they'll be quids in with the sale of Maddison and Barnes. 

Edited by mighty__mag

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I’d agree with what you say about him apart from the Barnes stuff. 

Watching him I don’t think he’s ever really fitted into what Howe wants although he’s tried. They obviously like and expect each other but I can’t see him fitting into what Howe wants, nothing to do with head up etc just he’s not a Howe type player.

Fair enough. 

I'm not sure I agree on the "Howe player" part.

I think to be a team competing for silverware you need to have more than one string to your bow - and I am not seeing a lot of pace and creativity outside of ASM in the squad. Isak to an extent, but I don't personally want him out on the left wing. There will be more games where we need to be solid and counter in the CL especially. I also don't think he's useless against teams who sit back, as he occupies a lot of attention. 

I hope for the best, but I'd be disappointed to see him leave the club. Flair players at this club always seem to get a rough ride when they're playing, then are lionized in arrears.  It's as though they are penalised for showing excellence but not being able to unflinchingly excellent (not saying you btw, just a general observation)

Guest reefatoon
17 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Keep wondering how swapping 1 goal for 13 from the same position is a shit deal........

Because he doesn’t do this near the half way line [emoji38] 

image.gif.09eac299f4e2e0cc1405f64b54186e38.gif

We have all watched his fancy step overs. And also witnessed his sudden mood change, limping around the pitch, Then blowing out his arse before half time, wanting to come off. Sorry but Howe has realized he just doesn't fit how he wants the team to play.

We are doing the right thing now by cashing in on him. 

Edited by prefabtoon

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd argue for a player with such immense natural talent, he doesn't have enough direct goal threat.

I appreciate what he brings to the table, but he's not going to be notching ten goals a season.

Lucky to play 10 games [emoji38]

I don't know why people say that the only big problem injuries.. How many times did Howe leave him on the bench last season when he was fit? It was quite a few. I'm also not convinced that it was allways down to being careful when Howe talked about that being the reason.

I remember him being injury free for some months and still being on the bench. If he's so amazing and fit into the system, why is that?

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

I don't know why people say that the only big problem injuries.. How many times did Howe leave him on the bench last season when he was fit? It was quite a few. I'm also not convinced that it was allways down to being careful when Howe talked about that being the reason.

I remember him being injury free for some months and still being on the bench. If he's so amazing, why is that?

We know why! O0

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I remember him being injury free for some months and still being on the bench. If he's so amazing and fit into the system, why is that?

Why do you think Isak was being left out by Howe post-WC when Wilson was stinking the place out from January-March?

Edited by HaydnNUFC