Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

10 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Maxi must read social media. Bad idea. I think he stays given the replacement cost would be astronomical.

Just seems the type to take everything to heart to me. Needs to just blank it out and crack on

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Don't reckon he wants to leave us meself

Hopefully be hungrier than ever to succeed and we'll all be laughing

This is all I have ever wanted in regards to ASM. Him firing on all cylinders in this Howe team would be fucking incredible. I really, really hope it happens. 

Just now, cubaricho said:

This is all I have ever wanted in regards to ASM. Him firing on all cylinders in this Howe team would be fucking incredible. I really, really hope it happens. 

narrator: it won’t happen

On 11/07/2023 at 18:36, cubaricho said:

Me too. If there was ever a player and a lad I'd like to see have a proper whip at making it work here and become a success at the highest level for this club in its new era. It's him. 

I will never forget him being our talisman and shining light at such a rubbish period for our club.. 

Fuck FFP. If it wasn't for that crap that we have to face more than Chelsea or Man City ever did we wouldn't even be talking about selling this guy. 

On 05/07/2023 at 10:56, Pata said:

You can’t just tell a youngish player that we are selling you to Saudi Arabia ffs. :lol:

What do you think living there would be like?

He’d be in a compound with all the other millionaire footballers, living a life of luxury. His quality of life would far exceed anything he’s had before now.

Things are changing very fast in Saudi. I live in the UAE and there are churches and synagogues popping up more and more. It’ll take a little time, but it won’t be long before the more orthodox regions follow suit.

5 hours ago, Fatwax said:

He’d be in a compound with all the other millionaire footballers, living a life of luxury. His quality of life would far exceed anything he’s had before now.

Luxury compound or not, doesn't change the fact that the place is one of the most boring places on earth.

1 minute ago, wfmk2 said:

Luxury compound or not, doesn't change the fact that the place is one of the most boring places on earth.

Where did you stay when you lived there mate?

6 hours ago, Fatwax said:

Things are changing very fast in Saudi. I live in the UAE and there are churches and synagogues popping up more and more. It’ll take a little time, but it won’t be long before the more orthodox regions follow suit.

Living on a compound sounds absolutely shit to me, however luxurious it is. 

I’m not really sure how long some of these players and their families are going to last in Saudi. 

I live in Abu Dhabi. I never said I have lived in Saudi, but been probably over a hundred times over the years, sometimes for weeks at a time. Been to Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam, Hofuf, Jubail, Yanbu, Tabuk, Arar and Abha. Abha's probably the most interesting place, but a little too close to Yemen for my liking. Yanbu's also quite nice if you're into scuba diving. 

Growing up in Liverpool would have prepared Gerrard for life in Dammam. It's a complete dump. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

I’m not really sure how long some of these players and their families are going to last in Saudi. 

Been to a few in Saudi. They're bigger than you might expect and have all the mod-cons & shops etc, but the high walls and barbed wire make them feel like a gilded open prison. 

The roads and the air pollution will certainly put off a lot of their families. 

1 minute ago, wfmk2 said:

Been to a few in Saudi. They're bigger than you might expect and have all the mod-cons & shops etc, but the high walls and barbed wire make them feel like a gilded open prison. 

I don’t doubt they’ve got all the luxuries but as you say, I’d feel a bit like a prisoner there. 

Is there much to visit in the countryside/ the cities or to do off compound that won’t get dull really quickly? 

I honestly don’t think some players will last longer than a season. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

I don’t doubt they’ve got all the luxuries but as you say, I’d feel a bit like a prisoner there. 

Is there much to visit in the countryside/ the cities or to do off compound that won’t get dull really quickly? 

Some of them might like the Red Sea, but the infrastructure isn't as developed around those resorts. Traffic is horrendous in  Riyadh, Dammam and Jeddah. There's no countryside, only desert with a handful of archeological sites.

I'd imagine a lot of the players' families would be discreetly based in the UAE or Bahrain.

14 minutes ago, LV said:

Most expats absolutely love living in luxury “compounds” tbf and the vast majority don’t want to go back home when their contracts end. It’s pretty much like living on a beautiful holiday resort; swimming pools, parties with other expats, gyms, brilliant restaurants, some of the best international schools in the world and super safe places for your family to grow up (you don’t ever need to lock your doors all year round). It truly is a paradise for millionaires if you’re in one of the major cities.

:lol: slightly triggered here as I’m part-owner of a string of these luxury gated communities (we don’t call them compounds). 

24 minutes ago, wfmk2 said:

I can understand why someone might think it’s like a prison but there’s nothing stopping you from going outside to experience the local culture or whatever once you’re acclimatized. It’s just a nice little buffer of familiarity.

Recently, in most major cities the barbed wire fences have been effectively outlawed unless you’re living in a military compound; as it sends the wrong message for prospective tourists.

39 minutes ago, wfmk2 said:

I live in Abu Dhabi. I never said I have lived in Saudi, but been probably over a hundred times over the years, sometimes for weeks at a time. Been to Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam, Hofuf, Jubail, Yanbu, Tabuk, Arar and Abha. Abha's probably the most interesting place, but a little too close to Yemen for my liking. Yanbu's also quite nice if you're into scuba diving. 

Growing up in Liverpool would have prepared Gerrard for life in Dammam. It's a complete dump. 

Fair enough, agree to disagree on the place then. I personally really liked the parts I’ve visited. 

Agree about the traffic though.

27 minutes ago, LV said:

Feel like I’m working for the Saudi tourism board here :lol: but of course! What would you want to do? There’s untouched historical sites that rival Petra, there’s off-roading, some of the best diving you can get, loads of live events, massive modern shopping malls, 5-star restaurants, amazing mum-and-pop local restaurants, stunning beaches etc. The women are glorious too.

This isn’t to say there aren’t downsides to living here but there’s definitely a lot of upside.

1 minute ago, Fatwax said:

Fair enough, agree to disagree on the place then. I personally really liked the parts I’ve visited. 

Agree about the traffic though.

Yeah, traffic sucks. The standard of driving is also some of the worst in the world.

8 hours ago, Fatwax said:

I was thinking about his career, he’s 26 and I hope he’s not ready to retire yet.