Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

26 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Just seen his Instagram story and I'm slightly confused about why he's in the gym in full kit? Surely thats not a usual occurrence? 

It is tbf. When he first signed for us he'd wear his Newcastle shirt when going round the Metro Centre, gym and at his house. Looks like he still does.

When was the last time Maxi was this far down the page?

The match against West Ham demonstrated that we are not as reliant upon him as we once assumed. It is no coincidence that our possession stats were so impressive in this match.

He has [more than] twice as many successful dribbles as the next best, but our goals scored accurately reflect our league position. Our performance against West Ham, one would hope, has demonstrated that he no longer needs to take sole responsibility for our success. There is no longer the evidence to support his claim that his team mates are not good enough.

I adore the bloke and hope this will make him even better.

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

The match against West Ham demonstrated that we are not as reliant upon him as we once assumed. It is no coincidence that our possession stats were so impressive in this match.

He has [more than] twice as many successful dribbles as the next best, but our goals scored accurately reflect our league position. Our performance against West Ham, one would hope, has demonstrated that he no longer needs to take sole responsibility for our success. There is no longer the evidence to support his claim that his team mates are not good enough.

For all that I thought we played well and kept the ball well how many chances did we actually create? Even the goal we scored came from an awful header from Rice

I'm more confident under Howe if Saint-Maximin doesn't play then we won't just collapse but across a number of games I've no doubt we are much better with him than without 

16 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

We played very well as a collective unit but we did look a bit one-dimensional/toothless with Murphy on the left instead of Maxi. Murphy nor Fraser are going to beat 2 men to go to the byline and cut it back the way Maxi has been doing recently. 

I do agree in the sense that Maxi is more like the cherry on top now that Howe has the squad so well drilled and knowing their role.

15 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I've no doubt we are much better with him than without 

Not saying we're not. Nobody is better without their best player. But we've scored 26 goals in 24 matches, an average of, more or less, one per game. And we matched that, away to the 5th place club.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

What were the Howe comments about last weekend? 

I wonder if Howe is getting pissed off with the 20 minutes of limping around, which he does quite a lot, interspersed with full on sprints which indicate he isn't a badly injured as he is making out

On 22/02/2022 at 09:38, Happinesstan said:

Fair bit of reaching here. You can’t draw this conclusion from a sample size of 1 game.

36 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I wonder if Howe is getting pissed off with the 20 minutes of limping around, which he does quite a lot, interspersed with full on sprints which indicate he isn't a badly injured as he is making out

Wouldn't blame him if he was. Just heard Howe wasn't happy with him feom some fans at the weekend and hadn't seen the comments.