Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Something is going to have to give, like. Be it relegation or European qualification, cup competitions or whatever. Any notion of completing a ‘complete’ season is complete fantasy.

Someone needs to make a bold decision so contingency plans can be put in place. So much can kicking atm.

Too much money at stake from the loss of the tv deal if they just give up and tbh the same problem will be there in september even if the season is scrapped now. Better to finish up this season as best they can and if they need to have a shorter season next year or something so be it

Guest neesy111

UK government giving the go ahead for sporting events behind closed doors from 1st of june

That's far too early imo.

UK government giving the go ahead for sporting events behind closed doors from 1st of june

No they haven’t. I’d read it as another wait and see but who knows with this government.

No they haven’t. I’d read it as another wait and see but who knows with this government.

its kinda yes and no. Obviously pending things not going to shit in the interim (which can be said for literally everything atm), the exact line is:

They are hoping for a 1st June start, but that could change depending on how things progress/regress as far as the virus is concerned.

Personally I am desperate to see some football. I have never watched German football matches in my life, but will be tuning in to the Bundesliga next weekend just to get a fix, and to see how it looks in an empty stadium.

There's likely to be no mass gatherings for months on end, they need to crack on and play behind closed doors ASAP. Otherwise there will be no live sport for the rest of the year.

They are hoping for a 1st June start, but that could change depending on how things progress/regress as far as the virus is concerned.

Personally I am desperate to see some football. I have never watched German football matches in my life, but will be tuning in to the Bundesliga next weekend just to get a fix, and to see how it looks in an empty stadium.

Don’t forget Euro96 starts today :lol:

Don’t forget Euro96 starts today :lol:

Drat! Forgot to put that in my diary. Oh well.... :lol:

Even if June 1st is given the go ahead all teams will surely have to have a pre season type thing as they won't have played with each other for nearly 3 months

Hasn’t happened in Germany (I know it’s an extra few weeks here)

Even if June 1st is given the go ahead all teams will surely have to have a pre season type thing as they won't have played with each other for nearly 3 months

You would think so. Weird just thinking how they could do defending drills etc trying to keep their distance as frequent as possible.

That would surely be the responsibility of individual clubs how they handle it. There's no fitness requirement to play games. I guess those who want to win desperately will find a way. Otherwise worst case scenario would be two teams playing at slightly less high intensity than usual.

That would surely be the responsibility of individual clubs how they handle it. There's no fitness requirement to play games. I guess those who want to win desperately will find a way. Otherwise worst case scenario would be two teams playing at slightly less high intensity than usual.

so we may end up seeing a few mini beer guts on the pitch rather than in the stands.....

If there's hundreds of millions of pounds on the line I think clubs would want at least some weeks of preparation to work on tactics and not have their players pull hamstrings within the first 5 mins

If there's hundreds of millions of pounds on the line I think clubs would want at least some weeks of preparation to work on tactics and not have their players pull hamstrings within the first 5 mins

Yes but that is still on the clubs surely? Players are already training in isolation, you would imagine team training will start at least a couple of weeks before games are due to be played. Does the FA stipulate teams have to play at a certain intensity to quaify as a competitive game? I think that's down to the clubs how hard they want their players to go at it.

Well the season doesn't start until June 1st, and as I said, they will already be doing some training in solitary.

They aren't allowed to train together, there's no chance the season is starting June 1st

I don't see the issue in players been regularly tested and finishing the season from next month behind closed doors at every clubs own stadium. All players to be tested the day before the game and just all stay together as a squad the day before games. That's still a damn sight safer prospect than millions of us are facing in having to go back to work isn't it.