Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Loads of people are going to work every day without it being 100% safe. Suck it up Danny boy.

I’m guessing those people aren’t sweating all over each other, going in for challenges etc etc.

Or spitting on people.

generally on rose's side myself like, how many occupations are there where the people you work "with" you have to have physical contact, spitting all over the place and heavy breathing from exertion?  hairdressers can't go back because of the personal proximity but footballers can?

that said if they implement a clear and rigorous testing programme then it's harder to argue against obvs, even if you understand that unless the players are totally isolated it'll never be 100% safe

Fair point but knowing everyone on that pitch with you has tested negative must be fairly reassuring still. A lot more reassuring than a lot of workers who will be coming into contact with dozens of strangers on a daily basis.

If they don't come back next month then I reckon that means it's finished for a long time. As the situation will be no different in September for example with no vaccine. The game would implode if it was away for a year or more it's just not sustainable.

That's why it has to come back and it will in the next 4 weeks or so

Loads of people are going to work every day without it being 100% safe. Suck it up Danny boy.

I’m guessing those people aren’t sweating all over each other, going in for challenges etc etc.

Or spitting on people.

Yeah it's not ideal at all but that's the situation they are in now unfortunately, the harsh reality is it either has to be got on with or if not then they wait for a vaccine. That seems to be the only 2 options.

generally on rose's side myself like, how many occupations are there where the people you work "with" you have to have physical contact, spitting all over the place and heavy breathing from exertion?  hairdressers can't go back because of the personal proximity but footballers can?

that said if they implement a clear and rigorous testing programme then it's harder to argue against obvs, even if you understand that unless the players are totally isolated it'll never be 100% safe

Fair point but knowing everyone on that pitch with you has tested negative must be fairly reassuring still. A lot more reassuring than a lot of workers who will be coming into contact with dozens of strangers on a daily basis.

If they don't come back next month then I reckon that means it's finished for a long time. As the situation will be no different in September for example with no vaccine. The game would implode if it was away for a year or more it's just not sustainable.

pretty much this, optimistically the earliest for any possible vaccine to clear all the needed tests is a year to 18 months (if one is even possible) and its in no way viable to suspend football until then even the likes of man utd and liverpool would go bust by then

yeah i agree, at some point we're either going to have to accept that there's a risk and do what is necessary to mitigate it or lockdown until there's a vaccine (which isn't practicable)

if i was being tested multiple times a week and knew the others players and staff involved all were (down to everyone, bus drivers, cleaners, cooks whoever) then i'd personally consider the risk acceptable

What a moron Danny Rose. He's getting paid 60k a week as his job is related to the nations morale and a billion pounds and lots of jobs hinge on it. It's far safer for him playing against 11 negatively tested footballers than it is for shop workers and factory workers coming into contact with dozens of strangers every day

Should just sling the virus a few quid to not infect him or his family.

Is it safe though if you're knowingly competing against and with players who have been in contact with people who have tested positive like the 3 Brighton players from last week and I'm sure there will be more staff/players who test positive over the next few weeks.

Money is the sole reason they're being asked to play again, is the government going to ask multi-millionaire Pop Stars or Actors to play a concert or go back on set to raise morale.

What happens if a West Ham player catches it a week before a relegation decider?

yeah i agree, at some point we're either going to have to accept that there's a risk and do what is necessary to mitigate it or lockdown until there's a vaccine (which isn't practicable)

if i was being tested multiple times a week and knew the others players and staff involved all were (down to everyone, bus drivers, cleaners, cooks whoever) then i'd personally consider the risk acceptable

And as soon as one person tests positive?

Is it safe though if you're knowingly competing against and with players who have been in contact with people who have tested positive like the 3 Brighton players from last week and I'm sure there will be more staff/players who test positive over the next few weeks.

Money is the sole reason they're being asked to play again, is the government going to ask multi-millionaire Pop Stars or Actors to play a concert or go back on set to raise morale.

Probably, TBH  :lol:

obviously money is the reason but its not an unreasonable concern, most premier league clubs are still paying their players full wages and have no income at the moment. Even for premier league teams this isn't sustainable for long

Isolate and trace no? Just like real countries are doing for normal people.

Just a shame they would've been unable to follow government guidelines when it comes to safe working practice in the first place.

Well yeah, but tell me who is going to want to train in an environment, or play against opposition, where people they're playing with or against have recently been in contact with a teammate who's got the virus. I don't really know why it needs repeating... normally when people go to work in an office or a supermarket or a shop, they don't sweat all over each other, wrestle opponents in the penalty area etc etc. The list is endless. It is not a normal job.

And not to mention the well publicised unreliability of the tests.

All it's going to take is for a player to get seriously ill, and then it's all off again.

await first lawsuit after a team has to play a game where one or more of their players have tested positive so can't play and team have to field under strength team as a consequence...

await first lawsuit after a team has to play a game where one or more of their players have tested positive so can't play and team have to field under strength team as a consequence...

Exactly. It's an absolute minefield.

If there was anyway for it to be financially viable, really the best solution is just to wait as long as necessary, even if that's 18 months. I know that's not really going to be likely though, so they at least need to let the country get it massively under control before they even consider starting up again. This situation is in no way under control yet.

Exactly. It's an absolute minefield.

Why don't we just get on with it using some common sense!?!?!?! /tory

Well yeah, but tell me who is going to want to train in an environment, or play against opposition, where people they're playing with or against have recently been in contact with a teammate who's got the virus. I don't really know why it needs repeating... normally when people go to work in an office or a supermarket or a shop, they don't sweat all over each other, wrestle opponents in the penalty area etc etc. The list is endless. It is not a normal job.

All it's going to take is for a player to get seriously ill, and then it's all off again.

It doesn't " need repeating" I made the exact same point.

It's about risk analysis. So one player tests pos? Isolate him and his teammates until they're eligible to test to see if they have it. Game postponed until clear.

I'm the least Tory person there is but I honestly think at some point mitigations are going to have to be accepted.

Guest neesy111

It's about risk analysis. So one player tests pos? Isolate him and his teammates until they're eligible to test to see if they have it. Game postponed until clear.

I'm the least Tory person there is but I honestly think at some point mitigations are going to have to be accepted.

If we wait 12-18 months, then so many footballers and staff in lower leagues and  are going to lose their jobs across Europe because we haven't got going again and they'll be no parachute payments etc.

Also I suspect many players will be wanting to take a small risk to get going again if all the measures are implemented properly to protect their safety.

If we wait 12-18 months, then so many footballers and staff in lower leagues and  are going to lose their jobs across Europe because we haven't got going again and they'll be no parachute payments etc.

Also I suspect many players will be wanting to take a small risk to get going again if all the measures are implemented properly to protect their safety.

:thup:

Honestly don't think it's reasonable to ask for 100% mitigation because that won't happen until there's a vaccine.

Honestly don't think it's reasonable to ask for 100% mitigation because that won't happen until there's a vaccine.

I agree with you...I just think it’s far too early. Maybe when there’s 100 new cases a day. Not when there’s 4000.

Guest neesy111

I agree with you...I just think it’s far too early. Maybe when there’s 100 new cases a day. Not when there’s 4000.

For the PL I completely agree, it's far too early.  I've always said July.

I do think the Germans have gone too early as well, they should have waited for lockdown restrictions to have been eased for 2 weeks.

Right but if they're socially isolating as we all should be still, and everyone around them regularly tested I personally just think it should be enough.

Bear in mind it'll be a fairly intense period so they shouldn't be doing much other than training and playing football. All will have cars to drive to and from. All could get their shopping done easily without exposing themselves to the wider public and so on.

Yeah it'd be shit for them but it's shit for a lot of people.

Not a problem for the likes of Danny Rose, he's probably a millionaire a few times over. If he never plays again it won't be too much skin off his nose.

For the PL I completely agree, it's far too early.  I've always said July.

I do think the Germans have gone too early as well, they should have waited for lockdown restrictions to have been eased for 2 weeks.

Even with 1st June in the 50 pager for when it can resume, where we are now very few clubs are training to any sort of level and they haven't even agreed on the logistics of it yet. It's got to be 4-5 weeks minimum before a ball can be kicked in anger if an agreement was made today