Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

The people we are talking about don't just spunk millions on a non returnable deposit on the off chance it 'Might' be accepted.

Why did they push out positive messages over a month ago?

It wasn't even close to happening.

Are people presuming the characters involved would gamble 17 Million (or whatever the deposit was) on the basis it just might squeak through?

It's not looking good like.

It is for the PL. That is all they care about. Dragging this out so they look like they have tried to cover all bases and save face to those against the take over, before they approve it.

If the government can call a jolly day out an eye test and bury it then we’re in the clear here.  Just make some shit up and get it approved.

You’d have to be pretty simple to have had someone trying to do you for 2 years for illegal activity and then gamble 17M that those very people would let you join their club. That’s Ashley levels of stupidity.

You’d have to be pretty simple to have had someone trying to do you for 2 years for illegal activity and then gamble 17M that those very people would let you join their club. That’s Ashley levels of stupidity.

Give MbS a chance. He hasn't even got the club and you're calling him worse than Ashley.

What I've taken from the last few days/weeks is that the PL want it to go through but the Saudis will have to make some concessions regarding BeIN and beoutQ. No idea if they will. If the PL didn't want it to happen it would have been thrown out as soon as the piracy stuff came up.

I find it all just boring now though. I've switched off from the whole thing.

What I've taken from the last few days/weeks is that the PL want it to go through but the Saudis will have to make some concessions regarding BeIN and beoutQ. No idea if they will. If the PL didn't want it to happen it would have been thrown out as soon as the piracy stuff came up.

I find it all just boring now though. I've switched off from the whole thing.

It might be draining but it’s far from boring. The future of our club hinges on this, the next god knows how many years will be boring if this doesn’t go through.

The Saudis will also have known that they’d have to make concessions and promises about piracy going into this. They’ll have planned for it and have put up the deposit in full knowledge of it, including that the WTO report was upcoming. Staveley’s and the Rueben’s legal teams must also have been informed of the issues and been confident that they’d pass.

I’d find it incredible if they’ve completely misjudged the outcome.

The people we are talking about don't just spunk millions on a non returnable deposit on the off chance it 'Might' be accepted.

Are people presuming the characters involved would gamble 17 Million (or whatever the deposit was) on the basis it just might squeak through?

Well if they have put down a non-refundable deposit then they HAVE took a gamble, because there are obvious hurdles they didn't anticipate here, otherwise it would have been passed by now, I now think they've come up against a lot more protests than they expected. For people now to be so sure this is happening is just blind faith tbh and I'm more in the 'not happening' camp now.

And as for the £17m deposit, what's that when you have £300B, peanuts, and I bet Ashley has gambled a lot more of his fortune away percentage wise and is still a Billionaire, you have to take risks in business

I wonder how much of this, "we're still convinced it's gonna happen" line from the buyers is blind faith?

Yup - it's long been my fear that all of these positive noises were coming from one source.

Could easily be misguided/wrong/badly advised.

Disagree they’ll have a good idea from the league’s lawyers who they’ll have been dealing with on a daily basis. Yes it has to go to the board, but this is obviously complex and I can’t see them going against the legal advice.

Either where waiting for a remedy to tv situation, or they’ll just pass it based on PIF being a separate legal entity.

Hmmm. Well, it's all guesswork but I'd have said if they were 'good to go' and 'expecting an announcement over the next 24 hours' and 'cans in the fridge' then I'd say they were given a bum steer by the Lawyers as that was over a month ago.

The TV situation and the seperate entity argument have been there since day 1 and yet the deal still seems nowhere near being done.

I'd say it's entirely reasonable to be doubting the validity of the prior positive noises coming from the buyers side tbh.

I see where your coming from, but I genuinely think they were given the nod. However, that Monday news broke of further evidence being submitted.

Now everything subsequently points to this being the WTO draft report.

I genuinely believe it is the fact this has become so public has unnerved the board. I believe legally this has the go ahead from lawyers, however board wanted more info re piracy under pressure from Bein.

Now where in a situation where solution to keep all parties happy is taking place, hence confidence of buyers.

We’ve always been told it’s an ongoing discussion. I’m convinced it’ll be sorted but understand doubts.

See what you're saying but if there's any way that their lawyers have either approved it or word has leaked that they can't see a reason to deny it then you'd imagine the buyers would be pressurising the fuck out of the PL who now seem keen to use the leverage as much as possible.

That leverage disappears the minute the buyers know the PL cannot legally stand in their way so, for me, I'm not that confident but hope you are right obviously.

We don't know the clauses surrounding that deposit so impossible to say but in KSA terms it's the equivalent to me dropping a quid down the sofa.

The confidence from the buyers is starting to look like blind faith. I used to put value in their opinion but they're clearly saying what they want to think - something optimistic to keep spirits high.

I wonder how much of this, "we're still convinced it's gonna happen" line from the buyers is blind faith?

Yup - it's long been my fear that all of these positive noises were coming from one source.

Disagree they’ll have a good idea from the league’s lawyers who they’ll have been dealing with on a daily basis. Yes it has to go to the board, but this is obviously complex and I can’t see them going against the legal advice.

Either where waiting for a remedy to tv situation, or they’ll just pass it based on PIF being a separate legal entity.

Hmmm. Well, it's all guesswork but I'd have said if they were 'good to go' and 'expecting an announcement over the next 24 hours' and 'cans in the fridge' then I'd say they were given a bum steer by the Lawyers as that was over a month ago.

The TV situation and the seperate entity argument have been there since day 1 and yet the deal still seems nowhere near being done.

I'd say it's entirely reasonable to be doubting the validity of the prior positive noises coming from the buyers side tbh.

I see where your coming from, but I genuinely think they were given the nod. However, that Monday news broke of further evidence being submitted.

I genuinely believe it is the fact this has become so public has unnerved the board. I believe legally this has the go ahead from lawyers, however board wanted more info re piracy under pressure from Bein.

Now where in a situation where solution to keep all parties happy is taking place, hence confidence of buyers.

We’ve always been told it’s an ongoing discussion. I’m convinced it’ll be sorted but understand doubts.

See what you're saying but if there's any way that their lawyers have either approved it or word has leaked that they can't see a reason to deny it then you'd imagine the buyers would be pressurising the f*** out of the PL who now seem keen to use the leverage as much as possible.

That leverage disappears the minute the buyers know the PL cannot legally stand in their way so, for me, I'm not that confident but hope you are right obviously.

Though this doesn’t give us answers, it just reinforces my belief that ongoing discussions will eventually result in a resolution.

I don’t think we should underestimate Staveley and the Reubens part in this. They are influential, respected and high profile British business people.

The confidence from the buyers is starting to look like blind faith. I used to put value in their opinion but they're clearly saying what they want to think - something optimistic to keep spirits high.

If Staveley was to lose the Barclays case would that reduce her credibility? I've not followed the case thoroughly or the takeover over the last few months as it's been the same news articles regurgitated into opinion pieces. However if her company was to lose the case and their evidence was frivolous maybe those positive vibes from the buyers side would also lose their credibility.

If Staveley was to lose the Barclays case would that reduce her credibility? I've not followed the case thoroughly or the takeover over the last few months as it's been the same news articles regurgitated into opinion pieces. However if her company was to lose the case and their evidence was frivolous maybe those positive vibes from the buyers side would also lose their credibility.

Just a bit because she's guaranteed her investment in NUFC with the proceeds of the Barclays case :lol:.

See what you're saying but if there's any way that their lawyers have either approved it or word has leaked that they can't see a reason to deny it then you'd imagine the buyers would be pressurising the f*** out of the PL who now seem keen to use the leverage as much as possible.

Though this doesn’t give us answers, it just reinforces my belief that ongoing discussions will eventually result in a resolution.

I don’t think we should underestimate Staveley and the Reubens part in this. They are influential, respected and high profile British business people.

Not least that the Reuben brothers sponsored Boris Johnson's leadership campaign.

I'm hopeful but also cynical mate.

There's a lot of questions about AS around if we take our NUFC coloured specs off, even more so if she loses this Barclays case.

Caulkin certainly has his colours tied to her mast so to speak.

His judgement would rightfully be questioned if this goes tits as he's been their unofficial mouthpiece.