Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Attendances smendances....... meh.

Like a top quality film at the pictures, nothing beats seeing the game in the flesh as there's so many factors that get missed on tv etc.  even watching a game back on tv as live if youve been comes across differently.

It's the lower leagues and the non-leagues that would collapse if blanket Premier League streaming was available. They struggle enough as it is, even before the pandemic.

If Newcastle are freely available to watch at 3pm on a Saturday, it's not their attendance that dips, it's North Shields, Blyth, Whitley Bay, Gateshead...

Extrapolate that over the country and the whole pyramid collapses.

Guest neesy111

It's the lower leagues and the non-leagues that would collapse if blanket Premier League streaming was available. They struggle enough as it is, even before the pandemic.

This.

It's not that different, it's not like there's people who like Premier League football and people who like League 2 football and no crossover exists there. Small EFL clubs in Greater Manchester and Greater London are absolutely propped up by people who also support the big clubs.

From my own experience, I actively followed two clubs as a kid, as a great many people who love football do. I used to go to Newcastle at home on the weekend with my grandad and Hartlepool during the week and when Newcastle were away on a Saturday with my dad. If Newcastle had been on the TV at 3pm, I just wouldn't have gone to Hartlepool, I would have refused, simple as that, and so my dad wouldn't have gone either. It's difficult enough to get kids to take their eyes off the PL as it is.

My best mate's a Boro fan and ST holder, and every Saturday that Boro are away he goes to a different non-league ground. It's weird to suggest that these are completely different demographics.

The obvious solution is to move PL games away from 3pm on Saturdays entirely which is what most other countries do (as in their top flight is at a different time to other games), but it wouldn't be very popular with the fans who attend. To be honest we're not that far from that at the moment anyway.

Do you have a source for that? According to https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/besucherzahlenentwicklung/wettbewerb/GB1

The general trend is up. There's obviously a lot of factors that go into it, like which teams are in the league and their relative fanbase but overall I don't see that attendances have gone down

Yes my eyes when watching it and ears when listening to it :lol:

Apart from teams doing well there are far more noticeable gaps in crowds these days along with poorer atmospheres. Cup attendances have dropped off a cliff too over the years.

The impact of the number at that level is significant though. If you only get 1000 through the gate to start with and that's your entire income, it doesn't take much of a drop to make a club like that unsustainable.

The effect would be felt more over the long term. The old blokes who go every week aren't going to be the tipping point, it's the kids who get used to watching their PL team every week who will drift away/not go in the first place.

I think abandoning 3pm for the PL as I mentioned above would be much better for the game if it's a choice between the two.

It's not that different, it's not like there's people who like Premier League football and people who like League 2 football and no crossover exists there. Small EFL clubs in Greater Manchester and Greater London are absolutely propped up by people who also support the big clubs.

From my own experience, I actively followed two clubs as a kid, as a great many people who love football do. I used to go to Newcastle at home on the weekend with my grandad and Hartlepool during the week and when Newcastle were away on a Saturday with my dad. If Newcastle had been on the TV at 3pm, I just wouldn't have gone to Hartlepool, I would have refused, simple as that, and so my dad wouldn't have gone either. It's difficult enough to get kids to take their eyes off the PL as it is.

My best mate's a Boro fan and ST holder, and every Saturday that Boro are away he goes to a different non-league ground. It's weird to suggest that these are completely different demographics.

Totally agree and this pretty much mirrors my experience growing up. There was a year when Hartlepool had £50 season tickets for kids (£100 for adults). I had season tickets for both NUFC and Hartlepool that year - as it worked out it was worth it even if I only went to 7 or 8 of the Pools games. If every NUFC game was on TV, I doubt I'd have ever gone in the first place nevermind ended up getting an ST. 

Even now I will often go and watch a Northern League game if Newcastle aren't on TV. If NUFC were on TV there would be no doubt I'd be in the pub watching it with mates.

A drop of a few hundred fans for Hartlepool, or of 20-30 for a Northern League team, could be enough to kill them off. I have no doubt that every 3PM PL game on TV would destroy loads of clubs down the pyramid.

Totally agree and this pretty much mirrors my experience growing up. There was a year when Hartlepool had £50 season tickets for kids (£100 for adults). I had season tickets for both NUFC and Hartlepool that year - as it worked out it was worth it even if I only went to 7 or 8 of the Pools games. If every NUFC game was on TV, I doubt I'd have ever gone in the first place nevermind ended up getting an ST. 

Even now I will often go and watch a Northern League game if Newcastle aren't on TV. If NUFC were on TV there would be no doubt I'd be in the pub watching it with mates.

A drop of a few hundred fans for Hartlepool, or of 20-30 for a Northern League team, could be enough to kill them off. I have no doubt that every 3PM PL game on TV would destroy loads of clubs down the pyramid.

:thup: Aye, one of the few areas in which the English game is superior to elsewhere is the significant support for clubs up and down the pyramid. The last thing we need is to encourage more dweebs to be full-time EPL customers.

I've got a Shields season ticket atm. If there's the alternative of everyone watching the Newcastle match in the pub though, it's a difficult choice.

My favourite thing about NUFC being a cesspit was forcing myself to take the opportunity to see some other games further down the pyramid. Granted one of those was a Championship game but I had every intention of going to another couple of York games, Harrogate and Scarborough Athletic before the season was out. I agree that the 3pm restriction on live football is of massive safeguarding importance to the lower tiers.

Both these posts :thup:

Guest Carrick18

I’d back the preservation of the lower leagues and pyramid over the PL every single time.

People forget how often the former feeds the latter.

We take the EFL for granted far too much. It's a massive part of our game, and the continued ignorance toward its role is frustrating.

I’d back the preservation of the lower leagues and pyramid over the PL every single time.

We take the EFL for granted far too much. It's a massive part of our game, and the continued ignorance toward its role is frustrating.

It’s already too far gone in the PL’s favour, and going to get worse, IMO but I couldn’t agree more.

Yes, having an amazing quality of football at the top end is great but at the cost of all else? Not for me.

Guest neesy111

It’s already too far gone in the PL’s favour, and going to get worse, IMO but I couldn’t agree more.

Yes, having an amazing quality of football at the top end is great but at the cost of all else? Not for me.

Spot on.

Can't see the lavish spending of Championship clubs in recent years continuing after the virus either

Most of them are utterly fucked as businesses as it is. Owners are going to be asked to bail clubs out even more than they are already.

Guest neesy111

Can't see the lavish spending of Championship clubs in recent years continuing after the virus either

Yeap, the spending was ridiculous by clubs like Derby etc.

The most unacceptable part of this wait for approval is the almost certain confirmation of Bruce as manager until season end. That is almost as damaging as the ownership test being failed.

A few weeks back I was confident they could and should just dump him but now even if it goes through tomorrow it is likely too late to change.

The most unacceptable part of this wait for approval is the almost certain confirmation of Bruce as manager until season end. That is almost as damaging as the ownership test being failed.

A few weeks back I was confident they could and should just dump him but now even if it goes through tomorrow it is likely too late to change.

Bruce always staying until the season finish lets not jump up on hate.

Bruce being here for 9 more games is the least of our problems. If we could get confirmation that the takeover is going through at least we could plan for a Bruce-less next season.

Guest Butcher

Christ almighty.