Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Am I right in assuming that this report that's due to be released, the PL will be considered a 'third party' so shouldn't have access for another 30 days? So even if they do nab a copy via Bein or wherever, they can't really make it obvious that they're taking it in to consideration for another month? Or have I gotten the completely wrong end of the stick? I can't really be arsed to delve deeper than headlines at the moment.

Nah, still think this will drag on for a while longer yet regardless of what happens today.

I've written on this thread quite a number of times now, that I see the publication of the WTO report to be followed very quickly by the inevitable approval of the Takeover.

I see no reason to change that view now.

An exciting few days ahead!!

Am I right in assuming that this report that's due to be released, the PL will be considered a 'third party' so shouldn't have access for another 30 days? So even if they do nab a copy via Bein or wherever, they can't really make it obvious that they're taking it in to consideration for another month? Or have I gotten the completely wrong end of the stick? I can't really be arsed to delve deeper than headlines at the moment.

It's more likely that what you described happened a month ago, as reported by Guardian at the time. The WTO website states that the report is released to WTO members (I assume this means to the public, as nearly every country is a WTO member) 30 days after being sent to the disputing parties. I think we're at that stage but who knows..

It's interesting that KSA have made public their defence on the dispute on the home page of the government portal. It was indeed published yesterday. If anything, it's the first public act of determination from their side to get the deal done and it indicates that the WTO report will be indeed made public this week.

The report will be damning for sure, despite KSA's claims that it's a geopolitical matter of national security, not a trade dispute. Can't see the PL fuckers deciding for another week at least.

It's very worrying that the PL have chosen to wait for the official release of this report though. On the other hand, we've seen some evidence of pressure from KSA in the last few days, so I'm slightly more optimistic that they have enough influence to counter Qatar's campaign.

It's more likely that what you described happened a month ago, as reported by Guardian at the time. The WTO website states that the report is released to WTO members (I assume this means to the public, as nearly every country is a WTO member) 30 days after being sent to the disputing parties. I think we're at that stage but who knows..

It's interesting that KSA have made public their defence on the dispute on the home page of the government portal. It was indeed published yesterday. If anything, it's the first public act of determination from their side to get the deal done and it indicates that the WTO report will be indeed made public this week.

The report will be damning for sure, despite KSA's claims that it's a geopolitical matter of national security, not a trade dispute. Can't see the PL fuckers deciding for another week at least.

The premier league has already had a draft copy for weeks though, so the official report shouldn’t really be reason for further delay surely?

So today is a massive day for this then?

Surely safe to assume that it’s simply a case of the league waiting for today’s official report before announcing any decision, the draft report they have had for weeks will have already been gone through in depth I assume.

Nah, still think this will drag on for a while longer yet regardless of what happens today.

I've written on this thread quite a number of times now, that I see the publication of the WTO report to be followed very quickly by the inevitable approval of the Takeover.

I see no reason to change that view now.

An exciting few days ahead!!

Exciting as jumping out of a plane without checking your parachute.

I just can't picture it being approved anymore. It's Newcastle United, things are destined to go badly.

My confidence continues to spiral down, but still just about think it has more chance of going through than not. It's slim though, another couple of body blows and i'll be on the dark side  :lol:

Why are we assuming that SA being called out for this is the end game? What if the PL just want to use it to pressure them into sorting it, ie. paying for the rights in a legal manner.

Saudi Arabia’s issues with Qatar are much larger than paying for BeIN.

That tweet from Edwards is just a repeat of what was said weeks ago, when it was then alleged that the WTO report "condemns Saudi Arabia in the strongest possible terms."

Given the exact same leak weeks ago (I think, it's word for word the same), I think it is likely that the previous report came from a Qatari source and therefor (in all probability) that Edwards' source is also from Qatar (e.g. is he just getting leaks from Richard Keys?)

I think the likelihood is that the WTO report will say that KSA was grossly negligent (or words of that type) in their lack of efforts to curtail piracy and intellectual property theft and that KSA was significantly misaligned with the global practice of intellectual property law by denying access to their legal system for organisations seeking redress for alleged IP theft.  The report will urge KSA to change their laws to permit organisations outside of Saudi to pursue IP cases in Saudi courts.  Based on previous failed attempts by BeIn and Qatar to tie KSA directly to piracy, given that Arabsat is run by Qatar, KSA, and other regional countries, and given it being unlikely to be able to prove KSA's direct involvement in piracy it is unlikely that the WTO report will provide a direct statement accusing of KSA orchestrating piracy and/or IP theft.

I think it is highly probable that leaks, asserting what the WTO report is going to say, come from Qatar or Qatari proxies and therefor they will spinning anything in the WTO report to the agenda of Qatar.  It is unlikely that KSA is leaking that the WTO report "condemns Saudi Arabia in the strongest possible terms", it is unlikely that the WTO itself is leaking, and it is unlikely that the PL is leaking if they have a copy.  Hence, the only party left who could be leaking is Qatar, which means the leaks are guaranteed to be slanted towards Qatar's interests.

(of course, I could be completely misreading things)

Why are we assuming that SA being called out for this is the end game? What if the PL just want to use it to pressure them into sorting it, ie. paying for the rights in a legal manner.

It's not, they've had this information for weeks. It certainly gives them more leverage in what they can ask Saudi Arabia to do.

Why should the PL care about anything that doesn't directly / indirectly affect them?

We also don't know what the strongest possible terms are. As in they were directly behind the piracy, or they omitted to do anything to stop it?

In polite, diplomatic terms - "strongest possible terms" is the equivalent of saying "for the purposes of this criticism, imagine I am using the strongest language you can imagine to criticise you"... a.k.a. it's diplomatic speak for calling someone an arsehole.

Why should the PL care about anything that doesn't directly / indirectly affect them?

The BeIN issue a byproduct of the blockade which Saudi and its allies have placed on Qatar.

BeIN is a key stakeholder for the PL who have a zero tolerance on piracy it’s alleged SA are responsible for the piracy hence the issue.

I've said from the off that I don't see this takeover going through and that's still my stance. Maybe that comes from some sort of inbuilt defence mechanism or that things like this don't happen to NUFC but when it's confirmed as off I won't be all that disappointed (probably glad it's all over tbh so hope there's no appeal). Feel for the lads who were hanging their hat on this though. I can see 1000s just walking away, similar numbers to what did when Rafa was replaced by Bruce.

We also don't know what the strongest possible terms are. As in they were directly behind the piracy, or they omitted to do anything to stop it?

In polite, diplomatic terms - "strongest possible terms" is the equivalent of saying "for the purposes of this criticism, imagine I am using the strongest language you can imagine to criticise you"... a.k.a. it's diplomatic speak for calling someone an arsehole.

Aye, but I'm talking about the remit of the report.