Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Does it say in owners and directors test or whatever they call it now that a State

cant own a premier league club?

No but Bin Salman put himself forward for the test I don’t think it’d be an issue but he won’t

That’s the whole point of the arbitration. If in legal terms it is found that PIF and the Saudi state are separate then why should he.

I’m aware of that

I agree no one knows. I’ve been banging that drum for weeks. Interesting to get another perspective on it that’s all. Just fed up hearing “but but we have the Messi of sports lawyers” like the actual strength of the case we actually have doesn’t even matter

As mentioned above if Jacobs thinks the PL have such a strong case, then why didn’t they knock back the takeover and left if open to appeal. I presume that question wasn’t put to him when he said that.

I agree no one knows. I’ve been banging that drum for weeks. Interesting to get another perspective on it that’s all. Just fed up hearing “but but we have the Messi of sports lawyers” like the actual strength of the case we actually have doesn’t even matter

As mentioned above if Jacobs thinks the PL have such a strong case, then why didn’t they knock back the takeover and left if open to appeal. I presume that question wasn’t put to him when he said that.

According to many this was just about signed off.....therefore the Saudi/PIF issue seemed to not be of concern......then......

BEIN become involved thru their apparent agent Hoffman and the piracy issue raises its head and the proxy war between Saudi/Qatar so the link between PIF/Saudi becomes a convenient delaying tactic without being strong enough to lead to disqualification (and likely a direct route to appeal) and hopefully that the parties walk away.

Now we have a “journalist” knowing the inside workings of a private business transaction and that the PL case is a winner.......if it was this then the takeover would have been canned long ago

It will happen, patience my friends

Every time we get any sort of update it always seems to be along the lines of news within a few weeks. We just need a resolution one way or another to draw a line under the whole thing, because I can already see this dragging into next season.

Also the but about him being confident the premier league would win the case is quite concerning.

Going to court means all the Premier league's dirty laundry gets washed in public.

In the UK the Companies Act legally defines the concept of a shadow director and it is established in common law. Shadow directors are basically people who are not named as directors but in fact have control over the running of a company and act on that (just having the ability to control a company does not make someone a shadow director).

Unlike most common law countries, in Saudi Arabia apparently they don't even have the concept of shadow directors, either someone is named a director or they are not director.

It seems like either the PL will have to argue that UK company law should be applied to a Saudi company under the jurisdiction of the Saudi legal system (which I don't think they would be able to), or they just simply have no case because there is no such thing as shadow director in Saudi law.

Even if the PL were to convince a court / arbitration panel that UK company law should be applied to the relationship between PIF and the Saudi state, they would need to demonstrate both that the Saudi State have control over running of PIF and also, crucially, that they act on that. Which would probably be pretty tricky for them to prove.

I really doubt that the PL do have a strong case at all but their tactic of delay, delay, delay has been very effective.

But the legal action from the club is a two-pronged one. Yes arbitration is taking place but the club (Mike Ashley) is also suing the Premier League for the loss incurred by the takeover not being allowed to go through.

Each path set up to pressure the other. The evidence they are potentially collecting from the arbitration is building a solid case for damages. This is also most likely why the arbitration is taking so long. The PL have to come to the table in good faith to resolve the issue except by doing so they are leaving themselves open to a massive financial claim if they are too open and disclose something they shouldn’t. Then on the flip side, if they are being cagey with the arbitrators, the ruling will probably go with the club.

Either way this backs the PL into a corner where the only way out of the situation is to approve it.

But in the meantime, we’re not going to hear anything, there will be no leaks and no direct communication from either the seller or the buyer.

This might even get settled and we won’t hear a thing about it for weeks.

We’re going to have to live with that but there will be something positive at the end for us.

The final word on the subject, Keith agrees with Jackie Broon and so do I sleep well folks !

Honestly? I’m more inclined to believe Ben. He came across well & balanced and even on twitter he acts professionally where as NCLS.....

Wasn't Ben the one who was leaking most of the info from the PL side on Twitter and been caught out lying about other things? Might not have been him but it rings a bell. He was definitely one of those who came across as dead against the takeover last spring, I definitely remember that.

Wasn't Ben the one who was leaking most of the info from the PL side on Twitter and been caught out lying about other things? Might not have been him but it rings a bell. He was definitely one of those who came across as dead against the takeover last spring, I definitely remember that.

It was. He was deeply in the bein camp at the beginning, but has since realised he’s more relevant if he gets NUFC fans hooked on his words. He’s seen the profiles of others such as lawyers, dentists, local journos and QCs go through the roof and wants a bit of it.

Btw I think he also said last night that he’s preciously done work for PIF in the past

You’re making him out like he’s a reputable person with in depth knowledge on everything. The bloke was banned from the BBC and even the Chronicle took down a podcast they had did with him when it was found he was talking shit.

Btw I think he also said last night that he’s preciously done work for PIF in the past

You’re making him out like he’s a reputable person with in depth knowledge on everything. The bloke was banned from the BBC and even the Chronicle took down a podcast they had did with him when it was found he was talking shit.

I’m not making him out to be anything. I don’t know the guy. I can only go from what i watched last night. Much like that Keith guy, mimms, bet365 guy, I take what I hear with a pinch of salt.

I’ve said for ages and I maintain we will only really know the direction this is going in when it happens. Anything else is pointless speculation

Kinda only half listening but Ben jacobs saying the Saudi government injected a load of cash in to PIF to bail them out after covid started and that raised a lot of questions for the PL

I heard that and he was Implying that proved they weren't legally separate. A government bailout doesn't prove they are of the same entity.

The Spanish government bailed out Real Madrid when they were on the verge of going bust many years ago, and I believe its not the first time they have done so, but that doesn't mean the government and Real Madrid are the same entity!

Guest neesy111

Kinda only half listening but Ben jacobs saying the Saudi government injected a load of cash in to PIF to bail them out after covid started and that raised a lot of questions for the PL

I heard that and he was Implying that proved they weren't legally separate. A government bailout doesn't prove they are of the same entity.

The Spanish government bailed out Real Madrid when they were on the verge of going bust many years ago, and I believe its not the first time they have done so, but that doesn't mean the government and Real Madrid are the same entity!

No they didn't.  :lol: :lol:

They did they bought the ground for millions and gave it back to them didn’t they?

It was. He was deeply in the bein camp at the beginning, but has since realised he’s more relevant if he gets NUFC fans hooked on his words. He’s seen the profiles of others such as lawyers, dentists, local journos and QCs go through the roof and wants a bit of it.

He's certainly boosted his media profile. I'll be honest this time last year I'd never even heard of him!

They did they bought the ground for millions and gave it back to them didn’t they?

I remember they received a massive amount of illegal state subsidies a good few years ago but think they were forced to pay it all back?

Guest neesy111

No they didn't.  [emoji38] [emoji38]

I remember they received a massive amount of illegal state subsidies a good few years ago but think they were forced to pay it all back?

Firstly, it was the local government that bought the land off them not the actual Spanish government.

Secondly they were forced to pay some of it back by the EU in illegal state aid but not the whole transaction.

Thirdly, it affected several other clubs.

https://www.ft.com/content/750e14a2-3f94-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a

Guest neesy111

If people want to complain about illegal state aid to clubs, then look closer to the UK in West Ham and the London Stadium.

Btw I think he also said last night that he’s previously done work for PIF in the past

He also said he’s currently doing work for Al Jezera. To be honest I also think he speaks well and probably has contacts. However, there’s some dubious things that have come to light with the BBC and Andrew Musgrove pulling an article at the Chronicle due to it being factually incorrect. His stuffs interesting to read but not sure he knows as much as he tries to put across. When explaining something he tends to have this habit of covering all bases as Steve Hastie recently commented on.

No they didn't.  [emoji38] [emoji38]

Firstly, it was the local government that bought the land off them not the actual Spanish government.

Secondly they were forced to pay some of it back by the EU in illegal state aid but not the whole transaction.

Thirdly, it affected several other clubs.

https://www.ft.com/content/750e14a2-3f94-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a

So they did receive some illegal state funding then?