Callum Wilson

Strawberry

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

So a £30m backup striker when we have FFP restrictions.  If we sell Wilson we might need to do that. 

JP almost exclusively plays as 10 for Brighton btw and almost exclusively played on the wing at Watford.  

Yeah we'd have to sell players, maybe Miggy to Saudi or Wilson to whoever will take him. Ideally we'd buy a striker before they got valued at £30m.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yeah we'd have to sell players, maybe Miggy to Saudi or Wilson to whoever will take him. Ideally we'd buy a striker before they got valued at £30m.

This is why I’m asking for examples.  So you want the 18 year old version of JP straight from Brazil ?

it’s such a difficult task. 

IMO it’s much easier to just manage Wilson’s minutes properly. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is why I’m asking for examples.  So you want the 18 year old version of JP straight from Brazil ?

it’s such a difficult task. 

IMO it’s much easier to just manage Wilson’s minutes properly. 

Wilson is done IMO, he's not even troubling defenders these days, even when he is fit.

Is Wilson not decent? Every time I see him play he seems to score. 

The lad Dovbyk at Girona looks a good option and would probably do well at Newcastle. 

6 minutes ago, Mase said:

Is Wilson not decent? Every time I see him play he seems to score. 

The lad Dovbyk at Girona looks a good option and would probably do well at Newcastle. 

When he is fit and firing. He is lethal and his all round play as a genuine 9 is arguably better than Isak’s. Quite different strikers.

He just can’t play 2 games in a week and now it seems like even playing 90 minutes without breaking down is too much for him. 

He has never been rapid during his time with us. But this season, he looks a yard slower and not as sharp. 

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

When he is fit and firing. He is lethal and his all round play as a genuine 9 is arguably better than Isak’s. Quite different strikers.

He just can’t play 2 games in a week and now it seems like even playing 90 minutes without breaking down is too much for him. 

He has never been rapid during his time with us. But this season, he looks a yard slower and not as sharp. 

hard to judge as he's comes straight back into the team after injury before being able to build up any match fitness.

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

Wilson is done IMO, he's not even troubling defenders these days, even when he is fit.

This was said exactly a year ago. Granted he is a year older and even more beat up now, but this forum has a pretty spectacular history of egg in the face comments.

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

This was said exactly a year ago. Granted he is a year older and even more beat up now, but this forum has a pretty spectacular history of egg in the face comments.

He's been available for less than 40% of games during his time as a Newcastle player. I was happy to back him last season, but that's no use to us if Isak is also prone to spells out.

Mind I hope he proves me wrong and goes on a goal spree to the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, huss9 said:

hard to judge as he's comes straight back into the team after injury before being able to build up any match fitness.

He’s played plenty of games this season and has always looked sluggish to me. A bit like Isak, he has just never looked 100% all season. 

31 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

All round play in terms of what? His contribution outside the box has always been shit. Very fine goalscorer inside it obvs but as the overall package he’s vastly inferior to Isak.

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

All round play in terms of what? His contribution outside the box has always been shit. Very fine goalscorer inside it obvs but as the overall package he’s vastly inferior to Isak.

Back to goal and hold up play is better than Isak’s. Between the posts in a traditional number 9 sense. He’s a more physical player and his movement in the box is (probably was, now) better. 

Just to be clear. I think Isak is the much better player and more suited to the team. I was more meaning in as a genuine 9/striker. 

Wilson is done here, IMO. No point even trying to manage his minutes. When he has gone from 2 games a week being too much. To 1 game a week being a bridge too far. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Yeh Wilson has better movement in the box.  He’s a much more aggressive player and tussles with defenders.  Chases and fights for duels better and wins enough of them to make a difference. 

Im a massive fan of Isak but he lacks aggression. 

The big issue is that Isak is often injured. I said it last season I think he needs to toughen up physically and mentally. From the naked eye he doesn’t seem to have developed significantly physically.  Isak hasn’t looked fit for a lot of the season. ATM he doesn’t have the physical capacity to play Howe ball for 90 minutes every week.  He gasses out after an hour frequently to the point he can barely move. And then he picks up an injury.  This is consistent. Between Isak and Howe they need to manage Isak better physically. He needs better stamina and conditioning. And if he can’t cope with the physical load, fucking sub him when he gasses.

We need to help prevent injuries for our strikers and not just keep doing the same things that we’ve done for the last 20 months that has seen both of them injured for large spells. 

His fragility will get worse & worse as he's getting on. His body has suffered a lot over the last 10 years.

He's a bit of an FFP conundrum for us. If he manages to get back to last season's goalscoring form to see out the campaign then weirdly I'd cash in as it'll be the only time we can realistically extract any decent value from him to help our long-term goals - it's not like we're a side that struggles to score. I just don't think he's really reliable enough for us in seasons where we actively want to compete on multiple fronts.

If he doesn't then hit that form then it's probably better net result for us to keep him around and massively manage his minutes, but that really doesn't feel like him.

We should absolutely cash in for anything over £10m. I rate him extremely highly as a striker although I think he’s on the wane. However, our main issues this season have come from players not being fit. He’s probably the least reliable player in the squad, in a position where we only have one other option really (Gordon I think can play there but it’s not his best position)

If he does leave in the summer, I hope he gets the three goals during the remainder of the season to become our second highest Premier League goalscorer :lol: 

On 11/02/2024 at 19:32, The College Dropout said:

Yeh Wilson has better movement in the box.  He’s a much more aggressive player and tussles with defenders.  Chases and fights for duels better and wins enough of them to make a difference. 

Im a massive fan of Isak but he lacks aggression. 

The big issue is that Isak is often injured. I said it last season I think he needs to toughen up physically and mentally. From the naked eye he doesn’t seem to have developed significantly physically.  Isak hasn’t looked fit for a lot of the season. ATM he doesn’t have the physical capacity to play Howe ball for 90 minutes every week.  He gasses out after an hour frequently to the point he can barely move. And then he picks up an injury.  This is consistent. Between Isak and Howe they need to manage Isak better physically. He needs better stamina and conditioning. And if he can’t cope with the physical load, fucking sub him when he gasses.

We need to help prevent injuries for our strikers and not just keep doing the same things that we’ve done for the last 20 months that has seen both of them injured for large spells. 

I have seen him tussling with defenders, but not to that much effect where it makes a difference. He'll prove a handful but rarely gets free of his marker. Isak just with trickery and speed alone is much more likely to have the beating of his man.

Just now, TRon said:

I have seen him tussling with defenders, but not to that much effect where it makes a difference. He'll prove a handful but rarely gets free of his marker. Isak just with trickery and speed alone is much more likely to have the beating of his man.

I disagree. He's good for a scrappy goal because of his movement and aggression. He occupies defenders and keeps them busy.

The Brighton consolation, it's just a hopeful ball then he bundles past the defender.

I love Isak but he's either on or off. He's a threat in behind or on the dribble at times but in most duels he's a non-factor. He can press effectively but often due to his lack of stamina, the press is non-existent or poor. He's losing a ball pumped up towards him 9.5 times out of 10 - with ease. Wilson probably loses it 8 times out of 10 too but he wins a few on occasion and at least makes the defender work for it. Wilson has some level of hold-up play imo.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I disagree. He's good for a scrappy goal because of his movement and aggression. He occupies defenders and keeps them busy.

The Brighton consolation, it's just a hopeful ball then he bundles past the defender.

I love Isak but he's either on or off. He's a threat in behind or on the dribble at times but in most duels he's a non-factor. He can press effectively but often due to his lack of stamina, the press is non-existent or poor. He's losing a ball pumped up towards him 9.5 times out of 10 - with ease. Wilson probably loses it 8 times out of 10 too but he wins a few on occasion and at least makes the defender work for it. Wilson has some level of hold-up play imo.

Wilson looks anonymous to me these days. Yes he will occupy defenders, but he's rarely getting the better of them. At least Isak will get behind them and get in on goal if we can get the ball in early.

32 minutes ago, TRon said:

Wilson looks anonymous to me these days. Yes he will occupy defenders, but he's rarely getting the better of them. At least Isak will get behind them and get in on goal if we can get the ball in early.

I know it's not your intention. But following your posts you would think Isak has been brilliant over the last 18 months and Wilson has been ok - which isn't the case.

Obviously I rate Isak higher and his potential is scary. But I think they are much closer in effectiveness (in different ways) than you are making out.

33 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I know it's not your intention. But following your posts you would think Isak has been brilliant over the last 18 months and Wilson has been ok - which isn't the case.

Obviously I rate Isak higher and his potential is scary. But I think they are much closer in effectiveness (in different ways) than you are making out.

Isak has been brilliant over the last 18 months. Not as a battering ram striker, maybe more a Loic Remy/Henry style of striker. Wilson has as well tbf, but I think he looks less capable of getting in behind defenders this season, which means he's mainly now holding up play and getting the odd poacher goal if the ball finds it's way to him unmarked.

Last few games I've watched Wilson he just seems too easily smothered by defences.

56 minutes ago, TRon said:

Isak has been brilliant over the last 18 months. Not as a battering ram striker, maybe more a Loic Remy/Henry style of striker. Wilson has as well tbf, but I think he looks less capable of getting in behind defenders this season, which means he's mainly now holding up play and getting the odd poacher goal if the ball finds it's way to him unmarked.

Last few games I've watched Wilson he just seems too easily smothered by defences.

Wilson doesn't look fit.

Isak also hasn't looked fit for many games and has put in some performances himself.

Hes been utter rubbish since coming back from latest injury. Been decent before the layoff earlier in the season but overall super disappointing campaign for him imho. 

Just now, Paully said:

Seemingly this injury is a lot worse than first-feared FFS

Of course it is. The Wilson-Isak boom-bust cycle continues. Thank god Barnes is back to at least give us an option, Anderson and Willock joining him can’t come quick enough so we can potentially use Gordon to take the pressure off Isak having to play 90 mins each game immediately.

Could that tussle against Forest be the last time we see him if it’s a torn muscle?