Callum Wilson

Strawberry

36 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

He's trying to flog me some gluten intolerance testing or something on Facebook ads today 

IMG-20240109-WA0026.jpg

Wor Callum caught in Glutenwashing scam.

6 hours ago, BlueStar said:

He's trying to flog me some gluten intolerance testing or something on Facebook ads today 

IMG-20240109-WA0026.jpg

Hopefully that’s our official intolerance test partner and worth £250k a year for ffp. All adds up! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big Callum Wilson fan, but he can't be our backup Striker going into next season, he just can't be relied on to be fit enough, often enough, to do so. If he's happy to be 3rd Striker then I'm all for that, would definitely keep him in that role and we'll have the best 3rd Striker in the league, he can do 20-30 minutes here and there when needed, but we have to get a player in who can be relied upon to rotate with Isak or play alongside him. 

The article I shared shows how it’s very difficult to have a second backup striker.  If you sign a striker with the purpose of being backup - then he’s just not good enough to play regularly. 

I think Isak, Wilson and Gordon as backup is as fine a 3 as you can get on a budget.  

With less injuries you have Barnes, Joelinton and even Willock that can move into the LW if Gordon has to play upfront. 

A true backup striker is like Chris Wood.   

and we need to have Isak a bit more reliable. 

2 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

I'm a big Callum Wilson fan, but he can't be our backup Striker going into next season, he just can't be relied on to be fit enough, often enough, to do so. If he's happy to be 3rd Striker then I'm all for that, would definitely keep him in that role and we'll have the best 3rd Striker in the league, he can do 20-30 minutes here and there when needed, but we have to get a player in who can be relied upon to rotate with Isak or play alongside him. 

Tend to agree with this, and there's uncertainty around Isak being able to stay fit too. Wilson is too old and injury prone to fetch us much in terms of transfer fee, and too good to let go on the cheap, so it's better to keep him as a an alternative together with hopefully a new, young (19-20 year old) prospect who is good enough to play in the event both Isak and Wilson are out.

If he doesn't want to play the role then he should have everyone's blessing to leave, wish him well, and move him on. I'd much rather he stayed, but as I say, I don't think he can't be the main backup. 

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The article I shared shows how it’s very difficult to have a second backup striker.  If you sign a striker with the purpose of being backup - then he’s just not good enough to play regularly. 

I think Isak, Wilson and Gordon as backup is as fine a 3 as you can get on a budget.  

With less injuries you have Barnes, Joelinton and even Willock that can move into the LW if Gordon has to play upfront. 

A true backup striker is like Chris Wood.   

and we need to have Isak a bit more reliable. 

Ideally you want a player in the mould of a Kudos/D Jota - quite a few have said Mbuemo which in the profile type OR if you want a pure back up, take a punt on someone like a Morgan Whittaker

7 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Ideally you want a player in the mould of a Kudos/D Jota - quite a few have said Mbuemo which in the profile type OR if you want a pure back up, take a punt on someone like a Morgan Whittaker

Aye, I think this is why we were so keen on Ekitike originally. Don't think we'd go there now we have Gordon and Barnes, but I reckon the plan was for him to become first choice LW within a year or two and be the "backup" striker. 

I could see our eventual first-choice RW being someone who can also play CF.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I wouldn’t sell Wilson. Get him fit and he scores goals.

As others have said he’s a good lad to have around.

Hes settled but I reckon if he’s fit he wants to play.

Getting him fit isn’t the biggest problem, keeping him fit is. How valuable is a player you can only get half a season out of? 
We’d be better off with a player a level below Wilson, who can stay fit for most of the season. 
He’s like having a classic Ferrari you can only look at but can’t drive because it overheats every time. 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Getting him fit isn’t the biggest problem, keeping him fit is. How valuable is a player you can only get half a season out of? 
We’d be better off with a player a level below Wilson, who can stay fit for most of the season. 
He’s like having a classic Ferrari you can only look at but can’t drive because it overheats every time. 

It's crippling us, like. We were crying out for someone to come on for Isak on around 65-70 mins last week for example. We've literally no-one.

Maybe Minteh or Kuol will grow into that "winger/backup striker" in a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

The thing is I don’t think you can sell him. We should get another in but still keep him. Having him in the squad (when fit) is a bonus.

I do wonder why some players are just injured all the time though. Makes you wonder if they look after themselves.

We need to be bringing through youngsters who are good enough aswell. That’s another topic though.

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

Ideally you want a player in the mould of a Kudos/D Jota  OR if you want a pure back up, take a punt on someone like a Morgan Whittaker

What type of player is that? These are players worth about £50m in today's market and would expect to start for any PL team not regularly in the CL. If you mean positionally flexible I agree - but that is literally Anthony Gordon.

57 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

This is literally Chris Wood and everyone cried and complained when he started or came on.

55 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's crippling us, like. We were crying out for someone to come on for Isak on around 65-70 mins last week for example. We've literally no-one.

Maybe Minteh or Kuol will grow into that "winger/backup striker" in a couple of years.

It's Anthony Gordon. His back-up at LW has been injured most of the season and the backups backup has had to play in his primary position all season because his rotation/backups have been injured all season and suspended. He's also now injured and maybe for the season.

It all stems from Tonali's injury. If Tonali is available, Joelinton can rest more and play LW more often and Gordon can get some rest and play ST.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

What type of player is that? These are players worth about £50m in today's market and would expect to start for any PL team not regularly in the CL. If you mean positionally flexible I agree - but that is literally Anthony Gordon.

This is literally Chris Wood and everyone cried and complained when he started or came on.

It's Anthony Gordon. His back-up at LW has been injured most of the season and the backups backup has had to play in his primary position all season because his rotation/backups have been injured all season and suspended. He's also now injured and maybe for the season.

It all stems from Tonali's injury. If Tonali is available, Joelinton can rest more and play LW more often and Gordon can get some rest and play ST.

I see what you’re saying about Chris Wood and you're absolutely right. He was nowhere near good enough. What I should’ve added is someone a level below but younger and with the potential to improve. They’re more likely to stay fit and more likely to accept not being a guaranteed starter.

There aren’t many out-and-out no 9s in the Wilson mould as a like-for-like replacement, but someone like Joao Pedro, Solanke, Cunha would give us a hell of a lot more options shape-wise. I’m not suggesting we sign them, but that sort of player and profile. 

Edited by Holmesy