Football governance

Nobody

I couldn't agree more with his point about fans being exploited and not actually having won anything. Of course they haven't, and it's an insult to the intelligence of any football fan to assume that line can be taken seriously. Anyone in the media trumpeting the contribution of protesters needs to give their head a shake and realise they're playing into the hands of the PR recovery of these clubs/individuals. Don't get me started on anyone feeling the need to offer even the remotest bit of praise or respect to any of the architects of this whole escapade. Pathetic behaviour helping no one, when this could actually be used as an opportunity to provoke real reforms. 

I had Talksport on (for my sins) to and from Aldi last night when the first bricks were starting to crumble. They were practically jumping on their desks popping champagne bottles screeching "the fans have done it! A great day for football!" Please. It's been a shameful episode and despite my (very strongly pro) views on protest and the potential it has to make a difference in football, a few banners saying "No" and "RIP LFC" had precisely fuck all to do with the collapse of the ESL last night. There's fans outside Stamford Bridge blocking the team bus! Quick! Cancel the several-billion pound deal! 

That fans are now being sucked up to - with John Henry et al claiming they're the reason for backtracking - is just the latest move in exploiting fans/consumers at every turn. Disingenuous waffle designed to limit the damage as much at conceivably possible. 

I don't know why it collapsed and I don't even feel particularly clear on why it was proposed, or if there was any real conviction or genuine hopes that it would come to pass. Who the fuck knows what sort power plays at that level of the game truly entail. But I feel absolutely certain that 'fan power' had very little to do with it. 

The saddest thing of this whole affair, is that we've "saved football" for  it to rest again in the loving, caring hands of UEFA and FIFA.

We probably need the whole thing to burn down and be remade anew. Although the rebuilding would probably be something crass and repulsive too, these are the times we live in. Christ I feel old.

41 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Barnes is spot on.

In the short term, what we need is Arsenal and Tottenham to continue their demise. Hopefully Kane goes this summer and their post Mourinho appointment is another disaster. The loss of revenue and their stadium debt with continued off the field poor showings will hopefully force them to scale back. Same with Arsenal, hopefully more board level conflicts cause them to fail again and again. 

Aye if Tottenham and Arsenal had a few years or more in mid table it would shatter the “big 6” once and for all. Shame I can’t see Man City, manure, chelsea or Liverpool dropping out the top 6. Hopefully we have more Leicesters and West Ham’s over the next few years 

3 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Love this from paddy power 

“Turns out Chelsea and Man City are withdrawing from the European Super League after their fans were outraged at a grotesque influx of money from abroad creating mass inequality between clubs.“

I’ve never really understood the idea that those clubs created inequality. It’s not like the other rich clubs haven’t been able to compete financially. The amount teams like Man U, Barca, Real, and Juve spend is disgusting. Chelsea and Man City merely added to the number of super rich clubs.

6 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Aye if Tottenham and Arsenal had a few years or more in mid table it would shatter the “big 6” once and for all. Shame I can’t see Man City, manure, chelsea or Liverpool dropping out the top 6. Hopefully we have more Leicesters and West Ham’s over the next few years 

Would just go back to the 'big 4', and before that it was the 'big 2', Arsenal and Man U.

Just elitist shite.

Guest HTT II

Anyone else gutted our 6 legacy clubs withdrew, I was hoping they’d fuck off for good and leave the real footy stuff up to the real proper clubs who don’t share their grande delusions and grotesque greed at the expense of, well, the whole of football. If they don’t receive severe punishment (the owners/directors at least) then this means nothing and they will more than likely be even more powerful domestically. Throw the book at them, fuck them.

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Anyone else gutted our 6 legacy clubs withdrew, I was hoping they’d fuck off for good and leave the real footy stuff up to the real proper clubs who don’t share their grande delusions and grotesque greed at the expense of, well, the whole of football. If they don’t receive severe punishment (the owners/directors at least) then this means nothing and they will more than likely be even more powerful domestically. Throw the book at them, fuck them.

Yep. Was thinking it might of been the reset football needed with them grovelling to come back within 2 years starting at the bottom of the pyramid.

Edited by LFEE

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yep. Was thinking it might of been the reset football needed with them grovelling to come back within 2 years starting at the bottom of the pyramid.

Aye, that’s what I was hoping for. Hopefully (I doubt it) they will really live to regret this in the coming months and years, a huge fan backlash is needed once we are allowed back into stadium,s supporters trusts up and down the country need to form their own alliance and become, well basically a fan version of the Premier Legaue and look to get a seat in on that board too and indeed our clubs. 

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Yeah, after yesterdays fun at watching it all crumble, today's feeling is more of a "oh, so back to normal then? :undecided:".

Doesn't look like there'll be any punishment, nothing will change and the Greedy 6 have shown that they indeed have all the power in the league. 

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I was devastated, still am. People celebrating Man City and Chelsea remaining in the league is beyond me. Villa, Leeds and Newcastle fans etc are basically celebrating the top 4 remaining a closed shop for 90% of the next 10 seasons 

18 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

Liverpool are the worst. The grief I was getting from mates who support them over Saudi involvement in our takeover was along the lines of "they'll have tarnished football for me". Right, because you lot have contributed so much to the greater good of the game. :lol: 

Fuck off.

I can't help but think about Mike Ashley and the way the media has defended him consistently over the last 10+ years. It's only very recently that they discovered he was a bad egg, seemingly because Steve Bruce must be defended and Ashley is a good way to deflect criticism. Now suddenly fans and the media are united in saving football. It's perverse. Burn it all down.