Football governance

Nobody

22 minutes ago, LV said:

If this is true about European law then it looks like Brexit might have some positives 

They're exaggerating their victory.  

All the court said was that UEFA and FIFA can't punish the clubs until the court has time to actually hear the case and the Super Duper League plans were fully revealed.   

All the reports also said there was also no indication that the Spanish court had any real jurisdiction over those two entities anyway.

1 hour ago, Ketsbaia said:

A Super League without English clubs, Bayern Munich or PSG? Alright then :lol:

What a mental 48 hours. Now that they don't have a Super League to turn to, the PL should punish the owners (somehow) and get the EU to create an anti-competition law to stop this ever going ahead in future.

There is a law, it's what stopped this happening when Berlusconi tried in 1998.

2 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Good to know. Would it have stopped it this time though?

Berlusconi's proposal was 16 teams are guranteed spots in a 32 club Super League, but every five years those 16 clubs will be re-evaluated on merit and could lose their guranteed spot for the next five years to another club. The other half would've come through normal seasonal qualification. Given how that got stopped as monopolizing football, I can't imagine this proposal would fare better? I have no idea on the specifics of the laws though :lol: 

Edited by Kaizero

Spoiler

If the Super League does continue, I won't be surprised in 2 or 3 years, one of the English club go and say 'you know what, think we're going to go solo and join it anyways. Take any action you want against us, we're moving out'. Imagine Mike Ashley suddenly thinking that way. The PL won't beg us to stay like they have with the big 6. With a large amount of money/brown envelopes as downpayment, it will set the trend for others to follow and join them. T

It's important things need to be put in place so this never happens again. Take action against those individual responsible only? Then just wait for another group to do the same in the future.

Edited by nufcjb

35 minutes ago, toontownman said:

UEFA doing nothing but welcome them back. Insane. 

Premier league will be just as weak.

Punishment for all clubs. Get more money and go apologize.

tenor.gif

Yeah, much more logical approach will be to levy them with punishments that will just get overturned by the relevant courts after UEFA wastes a metric shit tonne of cash on lawyer fees.

That'll learn them.

Edited by Pandamninator

37 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Barcelona and the two Madrids are going ahead with this?

So, the CL, as things stand

• Sevilla
  • Villareal
  • Real Betis
  • Real Sociedad

And the Milan clubs save face?

• Inter
  • AC
  • Atalanta
  • Napoli

Barcelona aren't going ahead with it - they gave themselves a face saving out by saying they had never actually fully committed (lol) and that the final decision was always going to be put to a vote to the paid voting members.

Not sure why Atletico are still clinging on - Real Madrid and Juventus probably need to go to down with the ship as they put themselves front and centre.  

Edited by Pandamninator

1 hour ago, Pandamninator said:

Yeah, much more logical approach will be to levy them with punishments that will just get overturned by the relevant courts after UEFA wastes a metric shit tonne of cash on lawyer fees.

That'll learn them.

God forbid the rich and corrupt are ever held accountable for anything wrong that they do. Why bother.

IF they broke rules they need to be held accountable not welcomed back and given a reward. If they havent officially broken any rules then it's a different matter and harder to deal with.

I'm sorry, the "they are rich and their lawyers will win" excuse is not a reason to stay silent or try to seek justice for things. 

If there is no action taken then it just shows everyone:

A) they can and likely will pull this stunt more often when they want something else.

B) take it further next time

C) gets other clubs thinking if they can get away with it, why don't I try?

D) leadership is clearly weak, best continue to follow the rich and corrupt.

I'm not looking for the death penalty here but if it's a "Go on you cheeky scamp and don't try it again" Wag of the finger and carry on like nothings happened, then UEFA, The FA's and Leagues have already lost the little power and respect they had left. It's more of a death sentence than letting them leave imo.

Shame kids don't watch soccer anymore, some great life lessons on show.

11 hours ago, 54 said:

Well this has apparently fallen on its arse rather quickly, surprised they've caved so quickly to be honest, there havent really been any sort of sanctions yet. 

I'm not that surprised. Don't know about the rest of Europe, but playing in the PL is pretty important to the British clubs. Without it, the Super League would lose a lot of it's appeal. 

6 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

What does that even mean? The clubs must be punished.

Short of relegating them the most effective punishment would be bringing a new billionaire club into the mix

The narrative of ‘you can’t punish the fans’ is fucking everywhere now.

Luton were docked 30 points for a dodgy bit of admin around a transfer.

Despicable.

Edited by Sima

2 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

Was it ever established which PL laws they actually broke?

Although no team played a match in the super league, signing up for it must have broken a few rules. Plus bring the game into disrepute is always one to fall back on.

This would be the perfect opportunity for the PL to show that these “super six” teams actually don’t hold all the power and don’t have the PL bent over every chance they get. They tried to ruin the national game, all in the name of greed. Just because they’ve released frankly shitty corporate statements does not mean they should be welcomed back with open arms with everyone acting like nothing has happened. Punish them. 

Heavy fines. And not just a few million here and there. It needs to be strong enough that this will never be attempted again. 

Points deductions. At least 30 points. If they’re so super they’ll make it up in no time.

Transfer bans. Sorry, but none of you are getting Haaland this season or the next. 

No, it’s not the fans fault and it does seem unfair to make them suffer, but your club owners put you in this position. Place the blame on them and run these charlatans out of town once and for all. 

As for the new Champions League format, I’m not arsed it’s gone to 40 teams and there’ll be 10 group games or whatever. Group stages are boring anyway, let them crack on. I don’t even mind the fact that one or two of the bigger leagues might get an extra place. I do mind though that clubs could finish 7th but still qualify based on past performances though.

Edited by Optimistic Nut