Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

I hate football at times like. Millwall and then this.

It would take a fool to think that no random supporters would react negatively to the player's political statement before the matches. This is normal. Genuinely stunned that we have CL-level referees with no understanding of how to be culturally sensitive regarding these things with the players.

Even saying "the black guy" is out of order.

Obviously yes. By Western multicultural standards it isn't great at all. But living in Korea I experienced 'the white guy' and 'the foreigner'. 'The black guy' would certainly be used commonly too I have no doubt.

In a post-communist country with probably less than 0.1% of the population being black there are different standards in terms of use of language and what counts as acceptable. It's churlish to ignore cultural relativism when incidents like this happen.

UEFA however should surely be vetting their officials on stuff like this to make sure every one of them are singing from the same hymn sheet if they're going to ref on the biggest stage.

I've spent a lot of time in Russia, which has similar profile, and you are correct, much of this is cultural difference, but it is hard to be sympathetic with a referee in this situation. He is not a random Romanian. It is his job to interact with footballers, many of whom are Black or of African descent and will speak little Romanian. You cannot rise to the top of the profession and have so little understanding.  It's been a forefront issue in football for fifteen years now. Mistake, language issue, or whatever it is, this is part of your job and he has failed miserably. 

Yeah, all fair tbh. It'd be interesting to know how many games he's actually properly reffed outside of Romania.

Disco is right, German teams can't defend to save their lifes.

From what I've seen everyone plays blitz defence nearly all the time, makes for end to end games but as a neutral it's a bit samey for me.