Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

That is Pierre Webo, former Cameroonian international, who is yelling at the ref.

So, presumably he is saying that the fourth official has called him "nigger" and the referee is saying that he just said "this black guy" and Demba Ba is saying asking why he is even saying that? Very strange incident.

Barcelona are embarrassing.

Apparently 'negru' means black in Romanian. So presumably he pointed him out along the lines of 'the black guy'. Not great at all but definitely some translation/cultural relativism issues here...

McKennie  :cheesy:

Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Reyna :sweetjesus:

Don't forget Dest. Easily the best crop of talent the US has ever had.

Not been up to his usual high standards tonight. But still showing more than most the Barca players. Only seen him a few times. But he’s always looked good. Kept the scoreline respectable in the Clasico. Seemed to be relied upon to cover multiple positions. He was playing full back, DM, centre back and sweeper. Having to cover for so many out of position.

Even saying "the black guy" is out of order.

Obviously yes. By Western multicultural standards it isn't great at all. But living in Korea I experienced 'the white guy' and 'the foreigner'. 'The black guy' would certainly be used commonly too I have no doubt.

In a post-communist country with probably less than 0.1% of the population being black there are different standards in terms of use of language and what counts as acceptable. It's churlish to ignore cultural relativism when incidents like this happen.

UEFA however should surely be vetting their officials on stuff like this to make sure every one of them are singing from the same hymn sheet if they're going to ref on the biggest stage.

Imagine my shock at ditching Suarez to make Griezmann more important only making you shitter :lol:

I’m being wise after the event. I know he is a classy player and was a real talisman for Atletico. But I always felt he was overrated and never seemed like a Barca player.

They keep over-spending on attacking players. Their defence has been ageing/crap for ages and they’ve not properly addressed it.

I mean in today’s world it is stupid, especially in a professional context, to mention colour at all. Demba is right to question why he had to bring colour into it at all by mentioning black. He could have just said ‘this guy’ and not cause a storm. Especially when ‘Negru’ looks fairly close to the biggest No-No word.

I mean in today’s world it is stupid, especially in a professional context, to mention colour at all. Demba is right to question why he had to bring colour into it at all by mentioning black. He could have just said ‘this guy’ and not cause a storm. Especially when ‘Negru’ looks fairly close to the biggest No-No word.

Exactly you wouldn't call Giroud this white guy, the officials should be better than this, the culture should be better than this and the training should be better than this.

Guest neesy111

Even saying "the black guy" is out of order.

Obviously yes. By Western multicultural standards it isn't great at all. But living in Korea I experienced 'the white guy' and 'the foreigner'. 'The black guy' would certainly be used commonly too I have no doubt.

In a post-communist country with probably less than 0.1% of the population being black there are different standards in terms of use of language and what counts as acceptable. It's churlish to ignore cultural relativism when incidents like this happen.

UEFA however should surely be vetting their officials on stuff like this to make sure every one of them are singing from the same hymn sheet if they're going to ref on the biggest stage.

:thup:

My issue is that the officials should be knowing you can't use that language, surely UEFA have code's of conduct for officials....

Imagine my shock at ditching Suarez to make Griezmann more important only making you shitter :lol:

I’m being wise after the event. I know he is a classy player and was a real talisman for Atletico. But I always felt he was overrated and never seemed like a Barca player.

They keep over-spending on attacking players. Their defence has been ageing/crap for ages and they’ve not properly addressed it.

He plays a lot better on the counter with space in behind. You don't get that at Barca often.

He plays a lot better on the counter with space in behind. You don't get that at Barca often.

It’s probably a bit Sun Football to say this. But he doesn’t look particularly interested or happy whenever I’ve seen him. Often just gets in the way of other ball players and seems to be positionless. No idea where he is meant to be playing half the time.