Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

That's just not true. Maybe in the long term, if it had led to CL success, more signings of the same ilk and eventually an established global brand you could quantify that it was ultimately and eventually worth the outlay.

If they end up in the Europa league next season you can categorically say that hasn't and won't happen. 

It's a gamble that basically hasn't paid off. And it has fuelled their sheer desperation for a Super League.

24 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Agree with all of this except for the sunk cost statement. I would love to know the figures, but Ronaldo has made Juventus an absolute fortune as well. They've signed new sponsorship deals since he arrived, they've sold a ridiculous amount of Ronaldo shirts, their social media presence has rocketed by 300-400% which allows them to market a lot more products.

He has obviously cost them money overall, but I would say there other players there that are more of a drain than him. Ramsey for example on £400,000 who has no marketable assets whatsoever has probably cost Juventus more money than Ronaldo has, and with zero benefits.

Ramsey isn't on 400k a year. He's on 134k after tax. Ronaldo is on 600k after tax.

Undoubtedly a terrible signing. But they probably thought if it didn't work out they'd just flog him back to a PL club at a 'profit' - like they did with Can to the Bundesliga. Free transfers like this one have been terrible for squad building, no doubt. Signing players because they're a 'market opportunity' rather than actually a good idea for the team is one of the major reasons for their decline.

Edited by ponsaelius

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Ramsey isn't on 400k a year. He's on 134k after tax. Ronaldo is on 600k after tax.

Undoubtedly a terrible signing. But they probably thought if it didn't work out they'd just flog him back to a PL club at a 'profit' - like they did with Can to the Bundesliga. Free transfers like this one have been terrible for squad building, no doubt. Signing players because they're a 'market opportunity' rather than actually a good idea for the team is one of the major reasons for their decline.

Ronaldo brings you the marketing opportunity as well as the star quality needed for any team to be successful, Juve’s decline is not down to signing Ronaldo, and I say decline, they have won things with Ronaldo in their team and will no doubt (if they get rid of Pirlo and spend wisely on quality) be successful again.

Edited by HTT II

13 hours ago, HTT II said:

Or conversely maximise the package of what Ronaldo brings and profit from that with success, but Pirlo, but Ramsey...

But... Ronaldo, a waste of money, a mistake, a hue failure, set Juve back years, me if I’m a supporter rather than get upset about 10% earnings from a German company I’d be honoured to witness one of the GOAT in my club’s colours title or no title. Give your heard a shake, that’s why the ESL was dreamed up FFS!

MY head a shake? The reason the ESL was formed was to grab money so that those clubs could afford to overpay even more ‘superstars’ in order to make yet more money off the back of shirt sales, corporate sponsorship, etc. I’d happily not see Ronaldo wearing NUFC colours if it meant that the club was run responsibly and we could afford 2 or 3 other top class players instead, who we could use as a solid foundation for the next 5+ years. The comparisons with signing Shearer in his prime are a nonsense. This isn’t a 27 year old Ronaldo we’re talking about. 

I like Brentford but I hope Bournemouth do it. Bournemouth seem one of those clubs who could end up sinking back down the leagues within a few years if they don't come back up sharpish whereas I think Brentford will be Championship contenders for a few years before eventually going up anyway.