Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

46 minutes ago, BlackandWhite said:

Morecambe will be playing the mackems next year.

It has to to be the worst referee performance I’ve seen in a playoff final, though. Newport had a clear penalty denied first half, and the pen Morecambe got is soft at best. More like the player threw himself to the ground, though. Bobby Madley should never been allowed back in the professional game.

Yep that penalty decision given to Morecambe was dreadful

Guest HTT II

I think it’s a fair question to ask Froggy, but I also think the circumstances at both clubs are a tad different right now. Chelsea appointed a world-class manager to win things and quickly and he’s done that so the expectations will be higher and indeed the importance of winning. Chelsea have always been in that situation hence why they sack manager after manager, even when they win silverware. OGS is to Man Utd what Lampard was to Chelsea, only they sacked their manager to land a world class one and have won a CL title, yet finished behind Man Utd in the table this season. Both need to win a major honour, the title in particular, only Tuchel has already done so. The pressure is more on the latter!

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think it’s a fair question to ask Froggy, but I also think the circumstances at both clubs are a tad different right now. Chelsea appointed a world-class manager to win things and quickly and he’s done that so the expectations will be higher and indeed the importance of winning. Chelsea have always been in that situation hence why they sack manager after manager, even when they win silverware. OGS is to Man Utd what Lampard was to Chelsea, only they sacked their manager to land a world class one and have won a CL title, yet finished behind Man Utd in the table this season. Both need to win a major honour, the title in particular, only Tuchel has already done so. The pressure is more on the latter!

Just find it bizarre how there is so much noise about how much Chelsea have spent and the expectations of them, yet Man Utd are a bigger club with bigger resources and bigger spends but it’s absolutely fine if they don’t win anything.

Maybe I’m missing something completely obvious but how have their fanbase been conditioned so quickly that this is acceptable? Not a hint of disgruntlement.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Just find it bizarre how there is so much noise about how much Chelsea have spent and the expectations of them, yet Man Utd are a bigger club with bigger resources and bigger spends but it’s absolutely fine if they don’t win anything.

Maybe I’m missing something completely obvious but how have their fanbase been conditioned so quickly that this is acceptable? Not a hint of disgruntlement.

They did stop a game a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Against the owners. I was talking about no disgruntlement/accepting the guff served up by OGS.

They've improved on all areas the fans wanted improved (bar picking up titles) since Sir Alex departed. One way or the other winning or not winning titles will be the deciding factor for OGS at Man Utd, it's just that up to now the lack of titles have been satiated by everything else improving and being more reminiscent of the Sir Alex days and the "Man Utd way".

Different teams have different expectations. Chelsea has never had a cult of personality surrounding their managers or the way their club operates so there's less patience. OGS has built something the Man Utd fans wanted him to build, and now comes the challenge to see if he can go from that to winning stuff, which is where he'll eventually fail or not fail. Man Utd fans being patient with him makes total sense and makes me respect them more, even though they're still absolute tossers.

On 29/05/2021 at 10:56, Fantail Breeze said:

Was that a one off poor performance or has it been the case across the season? Considering the importance of the fixture you were completely toothless. Was really surprised.

It was typical on how we have been since January. We had been playing mostly well until then. Since then we set up to not lose. January transfers were a disaster for us.

7 hours ago, Kaizero said:

They've improved on all areas the fans wanted improved (bar picking up titles) since Sir Alex departed. One way or the other winning or not winning titles will be the deciding factor for OGS at Man Utd, it's just that up to now the lack of titles have been satiated by everything else improving and being more reminiscent of the Sir Alex days and the "Man Utd way".

Different teams have different expectations. Chelsea has never had a cult of personality surrounding their managers or the way their club operates so there's less patience. OGS has built something the Man Utd fans wanted him to build, and now comes the challenge to see if he can go from that to winning stuff, which is where he'll eventually fail or not fail. Man Utd fans being patient with him makes total sense and makes me respect them more, even though they're still absolute tossers.

You were doing well until the end. :lol:

But aye, you didn't really even have to explain yourself, as it's so incredibly basic to understand.

We finished 6th. OK Ole, we expect you to finish top 4 next season. Done.

We finished 3rd. OK Ole, we expect you to improve on that and maybe challenge for some honours. Finished 2nd, got to the final of the Europa league. Done.

We finished 2nd and got to a final. OK Ole, now we expect you to challenge for the title, and win a trophy.

We finished higher than last year. We got further in a cup than last year. We won more games than last year, we lost less games than last year. We've scored more goals every year Ole has been here.

Progress.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

You were doing well until the end. :lol:

But aye, you didn't really even have to explain yourself, as it's so incredibly basic to understand.

We finished 6th. OK Ole, we expect you to finish top 4 next season. Done.

We finished 3rd. OK Ole, we expect you to improve on that and maybe challenge for some honours. Finished 2nd, got to the final of the Europa league. Done.

We finished 2nd and got to a final. OK Ole, now we expect you to challenge for the title, and win a trophy.

We finished higher than last year. We got further in a cup than last year. We won more games than last year, we lost less games than last year. We've scored more goals every year Ole has been here.

Progress.

Progress? A top four finish is a top four finish, whether you finish 2nd or 3rd is largely irrelevant when you’re so far away from 1st place.

Trying to claim that as progress is hilarious.

The aim this year was to ‘maybe challenge for some honours’? :lol: OGS is absolutely laughing. One of the biggest jobs in world football and the only expectation of him is to try and do well, doesn’t matter if you don’t win at the end of it.

Regarding the stats at the end - do we really need to go through the horrific records he’s also set as Man Utd manager? Or shall we ignore them? 

But okay - you reckon OGS needs to challenge for the title and win a trophy, we’ll look back on this next season. Although I’m fairly sure you said something similar before this season :lol: 

6 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Progress? A top four finish is a top four finish, whether you finish 2nd or 3rd is largely irrelevant when you’re so far away from 1st place.

Trying to claim that as progress is hilarious.

The aim this year was to ‘maybe challenge for some honours’? :lol: OGS is absolutely laughing. One of the biggest jobs in world football and the only expectation of him is to try and do well, doesn’t matter if you don’t win at the end of it.

Regarding the stats at the end - do we really need to go through the horrific records he’s also set as Man Utd manager? Or shall we ignore them? 

But okay - you reckon OGS needs to challenge for the title and win a trophy, we’ll look back on this next season. Although I’m fairly sure you said something similar before this season :lol: 

The amount of positive records he's set at Man Utd are quite many. Let's ignore them. /logic

7 hours ago, triggs said:

Not comparing him to OGS as he had a better previous track record but Klopp at Liverpool took a long time to start competing consistently also while improving each season

8th (no trophies) > 4th (no trophies) > 4th (no trophies) > 2nd (won the CL) > 1st. 

I can remember Klopp getting a bit of stick that third season from a lot of people, but his direction was clear and the progress was obvious. 

He has also had the backing of the club and spent over half a billion quid. 

Great manager though. Still gutted he went to Liverpool. 

I hate how we (Norway) for the first time in perhaps two decades have a squad that should at least be up there with the second tier teams in Norway, yet we somehow refuse to play like a cohesive team unit. Granted, almost all our good players are under 23, but still.

5 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Good god man Southgate prattling on about slabhead and Henderson ffs, 2 bang average players. If they aren’t fit don’t take them, they aren’t anything special anyhow and I wouldn’t start either if they were both fully fit. 

Don't know where you get the impression that Henderson is a bang average player, speak to any Liverpool fan and they say Henderson was one of the major reasons as to why they where so dominant in the Champions League and the Premier League for the last few years, and why him being injured fucked them over this year.

I don't remember when Man U got knocked out of the CL last season, but the only reason they made it to the EL final this year was because of their failure at the Champions League. Unless you win the bloody thing, I'd say it's better to get knocked out of the quarters in the CL rather than make the final of the Europa League, especially if you were in the Champions League to begin with. 

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

I don't remember when Man U got knocked out of the CL last season, but the only reason they made it to the EL final this year was because of their failure at the Champions League. Unless you win the bloody thing, I'd say it's better to get knocked out of the quarters in the CL rather than make the final of the Europa League, especially if you were in the Champions League to begin with. 

They weren’t in it. Finished 6th the year before.

On 01/06/2021 at 18:01, Froggy said:

8th (no trophies) > 4th (no trophies) > 4th (no trophies) > 2nd (won the CL) > 1st. 

I can remember Klopp getting a bit of stick that third season from a lot of people, but his direction was clear and the progress was obvious. 

He has also had the backing of the club and spent over half a billion quid. 

Great manager though. Still gutted he went to Liverpool. 

Klopp is a world class manager with a great CV which afforded him the time. OGS isn’t.

Also worth pointing out the bit in bold - as you say, it was clear what Klopp was trying to implement. OGS doesn’t have a clear direction and the progress is far from clear.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

They weren’t in it. Finished 6th the year before.

Klopp is a world class manager with a great CV which afforded him the time. OGS isn’t.

Also worth pointing out the bit in bold - as you say, it was clear what Klopp was trying to implement. OGS doesn’t have a clear direction and the progress is far from clear.

Do you like Pep Guardiola?

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Yeah. 

I’m going to assume you’re not going to try and compare Guardiola with OGS.

Of course I am, OGS had a ton more merits to take the Man Utd job than Guardiola had when he got the Barcelona job. 

Klopp got the Dortmund gig with a recent relegation to his name as well, and his highest honor at Mainz being 11th in the Bundesliga twice.

Edited by Kaizero