Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

46 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Really like Barnes, think he’s class!

According to rumors from several LFC connected journalists, Klopp thinks he will be England's best attacking player in a couple of years and is pretty much number one on his wish list. But also knows that we wont be able to afford him. If there is a big money sale of Mane or Salah, very high chance we will make a bid for him. 

36 minutes ago, Disco said:

Can’t disagree with that. Similar player to Jota but probably has a higher ceiling. 

Yup. Jota with significantly higher level of pace. Might be better in dribbling and going past players than Jota also. 

27 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Yup. Jota with significantly higher level of pace. Might be better in dribbling and going past players than Jota also. 

Saying that with diminishing markets outside the PL it’s going to be interesting to see what happens to Mane and Salah as you’d imagine their options are limited as oa the clubs to move them on. However Salah is as good as ever and Mane isn’t slowing albeit his output has dropped.

—-

Unrelated but the Pellegrini opener for Roma tonight is an absolute joy. Too casual many would say.

25 minutes ago, Disco said:

Saying that with diminishing markets outside the PL it’s going to be interesting to see what happens to Mane and Salah as you’d imagine their options are limited as oa the clubs to move them on. However Salah is as good as ever and Mane isn’t slowing albeit his output has dropped.

Mane's form has deteriorated since last season. Well, at this point, not sure if it is loss of form or the natural deterioration of a player who relies on pace as he gets older.

Salah looks as good as ever. He is Ronaldo level obsessed about fitness and diet. I can see him continuing to play at a high level for 3-4 years. Salah has 2 years left on his contract. We have extended the contract of pretty much everyone in our core over the last year - Allison, VVD, Henderson, Fabinho, Matip, Robertson, Trent. Reports are that extending Salah's contract is a top priority for this year. But I can also see Salah refusing to sign an extension and then try to force a move to Madrid or PSG next summer. There are also rumours that his agent wants slightly lower than Mbappe, Ronaldo level salary of 400-500k per week. I don't blame him for asking that. Given his productivity, he probably deserves that.  I can see FSG choosing not to take on that level of salary burden and using that money to focus on the next star.

Most likely this is going to be the last season Mane is a starter. Whether Salah also will be starting for us next season will depend on the contract, I guess. Anyways, the players on our radar for the wide attacking forward role according to reputable journalists are Harvey Barnes, Ismaela Sarr, Jeremy Doku, and interestingly Jarrod Bowen. I say interestingly because for the other three I can see them developing into elite players. I like Bowen and think he is a good player but somehow I don't see him developing into an elite player. I just don't see the explosive fear factor with him. But at the same time, Klopp and the transfer committee did nail the last three big money wide attacking player signings - Mane, Salah, Jota. So maybe I am missing something with Bowen. 

We would have moved for one of them this summer but ran out of money after Konate. Reports are that we could not raise as much money as we thought through sales. Also, the money for some of the bigger sales we had like Harry Wilson, dont come in till next summer. 

Edited by rgk_lfc

11 hours ago, Kaizero said:

OGS plays a high-pressing counter attacking system, which he has done his entire managerial career with some minor alterations here and there. He has a clear chosen style of play and what criticism can be leveled against him is that he far too often doesn't have a great plan B when his preferred system doesn't work. Then again you can say the same for Pep who can't do a plan B for shit and never has done. His style will be very different to the expansive style of Pep or the gegenpress of Klopp or the defensive approach of Tuchel. Those three again, when compared against each other, would also have very different styles. It doesn't mean they don't have a tactical approach - it just means it differs from the people you compare them to.

Not going to go into a defensive shouting match here but it's nonsense to say OGS doesn't have a preferred style of play that he tries to implement on his players. I've had the misfortune of watching him manage Molde for far too long.

I mean I didn't see any of his Molde games but this doesn't remotely fit with what I've seen at manyoo; well I suppose it does if you accept it's being executed poorly and aimlessly.  As I stated in the post you quoted I can see what's probably supposed to be happening (as I could with McLaren, Pardew and so on at our place), it's just not really executed well enough to a level that is going to see them challenging and winning the PL over the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea unless their individuals go nuts.

I could see it working if they'd addressed their need for a dominant CM that can take over games (Rice perhaps) but they didn't.

10 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

I mean I didn't see any of his Molde games but this doesn't remotely fit with what I've seen at manyoo; well I suppose it does if you accept it's being executed poorly and aimlessly.  As I stated in the post you quoted I can see what's probably supposed to be happening (as I could with McLaren, Pardew and so on at our place), it's just not really executed well enough to a level that is going to see them challenging and winning the PL over the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea unless their individuals go nuts.

I could see it working if they'd addressed their need for a dominant CM that can take over games (Rice perhaps) but they didn't.

https://themastermindsite.com/2020/12/30/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-manchester-united-tactical-analysis/

18 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I find that very interesting having skimmed it as they talk a lot about the high press but don't really use any stats to back it up.  It's also funny as a manyoo fan I work with (not a dummy) was very happy with Varane because he hoped it would allow them to push up higher whereas he felt (as I did/do watching them) that they sit too deep and don't press high enough up the pitch.  You seem to see something different.

I suppose the definition of "high" would be important in this discussion.  Anyway we shouldn't derail this further but I'll keep that in mind when I watch their next few games :thup:

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Have we got a sell on clause? He’ll go for big money at some point.

At least we’ll get £5m we won’t be allowed to spend.

We sold him to Peterborough, not Brentford, so unless it's one of those that carries on down the chain (is that a thing or have I made that up?) then it seems unlikely.