Newcastle United 0-0 Liverpool - 30/12/2020

Disco

Very decent performance that tbf, agendas clouding a lot of the reaction. The problem is it will in all likelihood be sandwiched between two terrible efforts in another nothing season.

I'd like to see a post quoted in here that displays any type of agenda. I assume you mean needlessly negative, all I see is honest appraisals of another performance that offered little and was rewarded with a lucky point.

Well we were playing the, albeit depleted, champions and were never really under any sustained pressure. Aye they should have scored a couple but we also could have won it on another day.

I'm generally as horrifically negative as they come regarding NUFC these days but genuinely think I must have been watching a different game. In isolation that was fine. Obviously means nowt in the long run.

Where you saw a game we could have won, I saw a game where we were under the cosh for about 80% of it, barely had the ball and relied on Darlow for 4 or 5 brilliant saves, plus a couple kicked off the line. Not to mention 3 or 4 last gasp tackles from our over-worked centre halves. Should have scored a couple? If the possession stats don't show us being under sustained pressure, I don't know what does.

In 90 minutes, we offered a superb piece of individualism from Wilson that nearly nicked a goal early and a set piece header from Clark 12 minutes from the end that produced a good save. That's it, the sum total of our attacking threat.

Very decent performance that tbf, agendas clouding a lot of the reaction. The problem is it will in all likelihood be sandwiched between two terrible efforts in another nothing season.

I'd like to see a post quoted in here that displays any type of agenda. I assume you mean needlessly negative, all I see is honest appraisals of another performance that offered little and was rewarded with a lucky point.

Well we were playing the, albeit depleted, champions and were never really under any sustained pressure. Aye they should have scored a couple but we also could have won it on another day.

I'm generally as horrifically negative as they come regarding NUFC these days but genuinely think I must have been watching a different game. In isolation that was fine. Obviously means nowt in the long run.

Where you saw a game we could have won, I saw a game where we were under the cosh for about 80% of it, barely had the ball and relied on Darlow for 4 or 5 brilliant saves, plus a couple kicked off the line. Not to mention 3 or 4 last gasp tackles from our over-worked centre halves. Should have scored a couple? If the possession stats don't show us being under sustained pressure, I don't know what does.

In 90 minutes, we offered a superb piece of individualism from Wilson that nearly nicked a goal early and a set piece header from Clark 12 minutes from the end that produced a good save. That's it, the sum total of our attacking threat.

Yeah I mean that's an extremely negative spin and certainly won't chime with what most neutrals will have seen.

Standard disclaimer - I'm very much BrewceOut.

Guest neesy111

It was a better performance as individually as players they performed, easily most I've seen this season.  I didn't see much different in our tactics mind.

Guest neesy111

Henderson was god awful in that game. I can't get over how low energy liverpool were

Zero urgency or tempo.  Can see why they've struggled against the poorer teams in the division.

Yeah I mean that's an extremely negative spin and certainly won't chime with what most neutrals will have seen.

Standard disclaimer - I'm very much BrewceOut.

Not sure how you put an extremely negative spin on the statistics of a game, that's what happened. Yep, we played the champions (and objectively at a normally run club, you're happy with a point before a game with them) but I mean if we're going to put an extreme spin on something either way, calling that "very decent" would qualify perfectly.

The result was very decent if you didn't actually watch it. What went on for 90 minutes (heroic goalkeeping and defending and a bit of quality from Wilson aside) was shit man and only eventually ends up going one way.

Everytime Bruce comes out and claims to be hard done by and the fans expect too much, and the media carry the same idea and run with it, the club dies a little more.

It's got to the point now that when I complain about the team my friends now say what do I expect that Newcastle have championship players, and Bruce is doing well to even have them out of the relegation zone.

Meanwhile Leeds and Fulham, who do actually have players they used in the championship just a few months ago have completely outplayed us this season.

Dash harsh from the Lion

But we did better than what Sheffield United would have produced  :coolsmiley:

We were lucky like but I did enjoy some of our defending. Good effort at the back

The defending was superb. The 3 CBs + Darlow can be very proud of their individual performances, despite the shitty team tactics and framework that ensures they have to put in heroics every game or we typically lose. The kind of defending that at a normal club with a good owner and something to look forward to, would make me swell with pride honestly.

I think it’s pretty reasonable to think both that Bruce is still terrible and for that result and performance to be pleasing. Sure we rode our luck, but forced a couple of good saves from them also and there were some excellent individual performances. Not going to pretend this was a tactical masterclass from Bruce or anything other than a terrible Liverpool performance, but it wasn’t simply the Bruce luck we’ve seen on plenty of other occasions.

I think it’s pretty reasonable to think both that Bruce is still terrible and for that result and performance to be pleasing. Sure we rode our luck, but forced a couple of good saves from them also and there were some excellent individual performances. Not going to pretend this was a tactical masterclass from Bruce or anything other than a terrible Liverpool performance, but it wasn’t simply the Bruce luck we’ve seen on plenty of other occasions.

Thought you’d fell out with him.

I think that's probably fair but what happens if it's a normal Liverpool day for their strikers and 3 of their many chances go in and we lose 0-3? There's absolutely nothing else from that performance except the result to hang onto.

There wasn't any attractive interplay to enjoy, because we barely had the ball because the manager hasn't the coaching or philosophy to make that happen. The chances we did create were individualism and set piece based. When the margins are that fine and you've only got heroic defending and goalkeeping keeping you from a heavy defeat, I don't get the positivity for the sake of it. It's a defeat on 9 out of 10 days. I dunno, maybe my glass is half empty  :lol:

Didn't watch. Gotta laugh at the result though  :lol:

Makes zero difference to Bruce's job safety getting a result or getting hammered as Ashley doesn't care about competing. I'd rather they got hammered anyway though.

Joelinton doing what he does best I see  :lol:

Thought you’d fell out with him.

Long covid mate. Still love big Steve.

A performance and result like this would be more acceptable if we didn't also set up and play the same tactics against every team. It simply doesn't matter whether they are at the top or bottom of the table or we are home or away or in a lower league it's backfoot hope we can hit on the break.

Still that's the most amount or people I have seen us commit forward all season.

I think that's probably fair but what happens if it's a normal Liverpool day for their strikers and 3 of their many chances go in and we lose 0-3? There's absolutely nothing else from that performance except the result to hang onto.

There wasn't any attractive interplay to enjoy, because we barely had the ball because the manager hasn't the coaching or philosophy to make that happen. The chances we did create were individualism and set piece based. When the margins are that fine and you've only got heroic defending and goalkeeping keeping you from a heavy defeat, I don't get the positivity for the sake of it. It's a defeat on 9 out of 10 days. I dunno, maybe my glass is half empty  :lol:

I agree on the missed chances, though I think those often happen in good defensive displays against a much stronger team - often a bit of luck is involved and on another day maybe Wilson or Clark would have got on the scoresheet.

To me as a team I like how we had some level of organisation at the back and composure on the ball. The heroics were more individual moments particularly from Darlow and Schar, but they were great to see, especially given what a different player Schar looked to before under Bruce. Good to see Matty play well in midfield.

A performance and result like this would be more acceptable if we didn't also set up and play the same tactics against every team whether they are at the top or bottom of the table or we are home or away.

Thank you!

We were pinned back the same way at home by Fulham :lol:

Didn't watch. Gotta laugh at the result though  :lol:

Makes zero difference to Bruce's job safety getting a result or getting hammered as Ashley doesn't care about competing. I'd rather they got hammered anyway though.

Joelinton doing what he does best I see  :lol:

other than that thought he did alreet.

A performance and result like this would be more acceptable if we didn't also set up and play the same tactics against every team. It simply doesn't matter whether they are at the top or bottom of the table or we are home or away or in a lower league it's backfoot hope we can hit on the break.

Still that's the most amount or people I have seen us commit forward all season.

This is the crux of it. As a one-off result and strategy, it would be laudable if we varied things and actually attacked teams with a semblance of quality in other games (like Fulham et al). That would display thought and an overall coaching philosophy and realism that even the most critical fan could potentially appreciate. Since there is no variety or tactical system at work here, today is just a one off result that displays nothing of note. It's simply credit to a few individuals that actually earned their wedge today instead of the lucky fat twat in the dugout who did nothing useful in particular. Again. As usual.

Great result, decent performance with huge slices of luck. I'm okay playing like this against the likes of Liverpool and the like but this is where Bruce can get to fuck during his tenure: we play like today against everyone, even those who are shit and make them look like world beaters.

Henderson was god awful in that game. I can't get over how low energy liverpool were

Zero urgency or tempo.  Can see why they've struggled against the poorer teams in the division.

This is going to get worse I think. In our game against Wolves the other night everyone looked shattered as well. Even Liverpool look tired and they're one of the fittest sides in the league.

Last third of the season could be a mess.

Bizarre game.

After being dross for the majority of the season, it was a very Rafa-esque performance. The backline looked well drilled, everyone covered each other, they pressed up the pitch in the first half and tried to play on the counter. Players like Schar and Yedlin looked like how they played two seasons ago, and hadn't been seen since.

Obviously we largely fell apart in the final third, but quite where a performance like that comes from when the team don't know where they're supposed to stand for the last three months is bizarre.

Bizarre game.

After being dross for the majority of the season, it was a very Rafa-esque performance. The backline looked well drilled, everyone covered each other, they pressed up the pitch in the first half and tried to play on the counter. Players like Schar and Yedlin looked like how they played two seasons ago, and hadn't been seen since.

Obviously we largely fell apart in the final third, but quite where a performance like that comes from when the team don't know where they're supposed to stand for the last three months is bizarre.

After seeing the game last night I would advocate keeping yedlin and binning off Kraft - and keeping Richie ahead of Lewis for the time being

Matty deserves a run now, probably will be exposed against Leicester with Hayden out and never play again