Elliot Anderson

joeyt

Just now, 54 said:

He was one of the best players on the pitch against Spurs in a role that I don't think I've seen many players do before, a number 8 cross wing back, given that's not his natural position, to have the tactical malleable mindset to be able to do that, shows to me there is definitely a player that at worst could be a very decent 4/5th choice CM, as a rotational option, and a player that could cover a magnitude of different positions.

I also think he has a very very good mindset too, which I think will help him no end, the fact he was livid after the Sheff United own goal speaks volumes imo.

No you are totally wrong the forum has spoken! He is no good!

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

51 first team appearances with 0 goals for an attacking midfielder is a concern.

A lot of 5 minutes here and there sub appearances in those 51 games. He’s also been unlucky, remember his header against Forest being ruled out and him hitting the bar away to wolves last season. 

13 minutes ago, Sima said:

51 first team appearances with 0 goals for an attacking midfielder is a concern.

This is one of those posts quotes in 2 years’ time to acknowledge you called it wrong. “Yeah but in fairness, there wasn’t much to show at that point.” 

Anderson can clearly finish and he will do for us if given the chance. 5 goals next year, 8-10 the year after 

Surprised so many are being so harsh on him. Yes, he was poor yesterday, but this is a 21 yr old in his breakout season for us, who has also has a lengthly layoff in the middle of it. Hej hasn't fully nailed down a potion yet, but he brings some good attributes to the team, just needs to tweak a few things to go to the next level

Also from his time at Bristol Rovers (league two I know) he clearly has an eye for goal. You don’t score 8 in 21 if you can’t finish. The lad is developing well and should be a useful squad member for years to come.

1 hour ago, greydos said:

This is one of those posts quotes in 2 years’ time to acknowledge you called it wrong. “Yeah but in fairness, there wasn’t much to show at that point.” 

Anderson can clearly finish and he will do for us if given the chance. 5 goals next year, 8-10 the year after 

I hope you’re right but I don’t see anything special there in him at the moment.

Plenty of time though, admittedly and I’ll be the first one to hold my hands up if I’m wrong.

Edited by Sima

4 minutes ago, Sima said:

I hope you’re right but I don’t see anything special there in him at the moment.

Plenty of time though, admittedly and I’ll be the first one to hold my hands up if I’m wrong.

I think he kind of goes under the radar with how useful he is/ can be, I think he also just needs that first goal to get that monkey off his back and he'll start to be a bit more relaxed in his play.

I know stats can be deceiving but his FBref is genuinely outstanding:

Screenshot_20240428-102719.thumb.png.ca517e935bcea860c3b0525be6492195.png

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Also from his time at Bristol Rovers (league two I know) he clearly has an eye for goal. You don’t score 8 in 21 if you can’t finish. The lad is developing well and should be a useful squad member for years to come.

Spot on - his long term future is here - given his versatility he is an important squad player - will only get better imp 

Gordon put it best when he said he's just realising that he belongs at this level.

Sometimes young players let others do it for them, like they are part of a pecking order.

He doesn't go missing at all mind. Just needs to be a bit more selfish around the box.

2 hours ago, Sima said:

I think that's more to do with the role he's playing within the team.  Patience. 

He's got a lot of good qualities but I still think he holds on to the ball too long all the time. Completely ignored a few good overlapping runs by Hall yesterday because he was too busy with his relentless shimmying. If I was a coach picking one thing for him to focus on it would just be 'pass the ball quickly.'

I reckon he'd benefit greatly from a year on loan in the Championship. Consistent game time at a settled position would help him develop, and he's never had that here. He'll be 22 in November, and unless he can really nail the end of the season and force himself into a first team player, I can't see him becoming the player he could be just being a squad player filling in irregularly in a bunch of different positions.

Of course that would leave our squad shorter if he went out on loan though.

2 hours ago, greydos said:

How can you say this when he hasn't scored a single goal for us :lol:

4 minutes ago, Checko said:

He's got a lot of good qualities but I still think he holds on to the ball too long all the time. Completely ignored a few good overlapping runs by Hall yesterday because he was too busy with his relentless shimmying. If I was a coach picking one thing for him to focus on it would just be 'pass the ball quickly.'

I reckon he'd benefit greatly from a year on loan in the Championship. Consistent game time at a settled position would help him develop, and he's never had that here. He'll be 22 in November, and unless he can really nail the end of the season and force himself into a first team player, I can't see him becoming the player he could be just being a squad player filling in irregularly in a bunch of different positions.

Of course that would leave our squad shorter if he went out on loan though.

I think he's already too good for the Championship and he'll benefit most from game time at the highest level with us. I think he's going to be a great player, just needs to figure a few things out and keep improving.

At least when he's here we're in control of his game time and training schedule etc. It's always a risk sending players out on loan to the Championship in the summer, because obviously you'd want him to go to a club challenging at the top of the table and playing a similar style to us and that's hard to predict at the best of times. 

If Leeds don't go up, that would be a decent loan for him next year. But if he does go and potentially then Miley would as well then we'd definitely need another CM in. 

Feel like we'd end up deeply regretting letting him go. Just need lots of patience with this one, and it'll come together for him.

54 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

In fairness he showed he could score pre-season in USA. Still can’t make my mind up on him but I’m leaning towards not good enough for where we are aiming to be. Still giving myself another season to make mind up on him and that in reality is probably all he has with EH too.

Yeah lack of control of playing time/needing a replacement etc. are certainly fair points. But I think the Championship gets underrated for developing players, just looking at recent England players, loads were developing in the Championship at his age: Maddison, Kalvin Phillips, Grealish spend 3 years there in his early twenties, Eze, Conor Gallacher spend a year on loan there before he was loaned to premiership teams. Bowen, Watkins, Toney etc all spent years developing their game in lower divisions until they were older than Anderson is.

It's not ideal having him on loan, but my feeling is at his age (21/22) he's not going to reach his potential without consistent first team football (i.e. regularly starting in a settled position) and I don't think he's ready for that yet here. Not at the level we want to be at.

You might find a bottom half premier league team for him, but as an attacking midfield I'd rather have him in a good championship team personally, and knowing he's going to be one to their better players is going to help ensure minutes. Even if it's maybe a loan till Jan with the option to extend.

Alternatively he can be a useful squad player here. Ideally he absolutely tears it up in the final games and shows himself to be first team ready. I suspect he'll be a squad player next season as well though, which is fine. But he's in a very formative part of his development - he won't be seen as a young prospect for much longer, and I just think he really needs a year of being a consistent first team starter.

3 hours ago, Sima said:

Yeah man Longstaff has more goals and he’s wank, sell for £5 million. It Will free up some FFP wiggle room. 

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

The ability to finish belongs to a player, not a club. I could have said the same about Isak before he’d scored a goal for us. Eddie says the same about Elliott so I’m in good company :-)

Just have to see his penalties to know he can put them away. Again, I'm sure goals will come. The difference in quality between his approach to shots and Longstaff's, who has actually picked up some goals for us, is night and day. In fairness, one thing you can say for Longstaff is his ability to get into threatening positions.

He’s only now really getting a consistent run of games at the top level. He’s clearly a talented player, just needs time and confidence 

2 hours ago, greydos said:

The ability to finish belongs to a player, not a club. I could have said the same about Isak before he’d scored a goal for us. Eddie says the same about Elliott so I’m in good company :-)

Isak scored loads of goals at the top level before he joined us, there was clear evidence to suggest he was a good finisher. Anderson's scored a handful of goals in League 2 against goalkeepers and defenders slightly above Gateshead's level. Just not sure how you're seeing that he's a good finisher. It's a bit like bigging up Nick Pope's crossing ability.