Joe Willock

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately like Matt Targett there is a saleable asset there but his injury record last 12 months massively deflates his value. 

Plus we paid decent money for Willock was it around 30m? Not sure anyone pays close to that on him. 

Edited by nufcjmc

Looks like most of this season he's been out with an achilles injury.  I thought it was his hamstring still causing issues from last season.

Achilles injuries are notorious for recurrence as they tend not to heal unless given a long recovery period.  If you keep playing with an injured achilles, it will tear eventually, which will then need surgery and ACL length recovery times.

It looks like we tried to rush him back during our midfield injury crises and he reaggravated it.

Don't think it's fair to call him an injury prone player, despite the last year.

3 minutes ago, Eveready said:

Looks like most of this season he's been out with an achilles injury.  I thought it was his hamstring still causing issues from last season.

Achilles injuries are notorious for recurrence as they tend not to heal unless given a long recovery period.  If you keep playing with an injured achilles, it will tear eventually, which will then need surgery and ACL length recovery times.

It looks like we tried to rush him back during our midfield injury crises and he reaggravated it.

Don't think it's fair to call him an injury prone player, despite the last year.

If the "experts" in our medical dept think he'll need till near the end of the year to get it right again then we should not risk him before then.

5 hours ago, Sibierski said:

I’d love to keep Willock, but we need to be realistic and captalise on players that have value. This summer is probably last main window where he’s got a value and sellable, to bring in funds to generate the improvement in the XI.

When we’ve also got Joelinton/Barnes/Gordon who can play LW, he’s literally only LCM. Which unless you are a top talent, at the top end, you need to be able to play well in more than one position (talking CM and attack). 

Not true at all.

Unless he's a permacrock. Willock's value will increase next summer. A solid season and he's a £30m player or more - he'll be 25. We'd get £20m for him now due to the injury and people forgetting about him.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Not true at all.

Unless he's a permacrock. Willock's value will increase next summer. A solid season and he's a £30m player or more - he'll be 25. We'd get £20m for him now due to the injury and people forgetting about him.

Not even sure we'd get £20m this summer. Like you say, outside of the worst case scenario, the only way is up.

5 hours ago, Sibierski said:

I’d love to keep Willock, but we need to be realistic and captalise on players that have value. This summer is probably last main window where he’s got a value and sellable, to bring in funds to generate the improvement in the XI.

When we’ve also got Joelinton/Barnes/Gordon who can play LW, he’s literally only LCM. Which unless you are a top talent, at the top end, you need to be able to play well in more than one position (talking CM and attack). 

Why is that? He's still very young, and I would have thought selling him now would make the least amount of sense since his value will have gone down due to missing a season through injury. What would be the point of selling?

Smith Rowe/Connor Gallagher etc are being linked from £40-£60m, so why is Willock being touted at £20M? Smith Rowe is equally as injured as him

I can understand if people think he's an asset who could be sold, you could argue he's not the finished article and we can use the money to buy just that. But we paid £20m+ for him, are we going to make a profit after a season out injured? Would surely make sense to hope he comes back all guns blazing after a summer's recuperation and hope his value shoots back up again, even if we do want to upgrade at some point.

We need to tell Targett to find a new club and we’ll accept 5M or a little less. He’s got a contract until 2027 and he’s not going to get game time. He had a great season on loan for us but he’s deadwood now.

Willock is a hugely important player for us, he provides something different, he can break lines and can take a chance. Unless our reliable medical team are convinced he’s made of Lego he has to stay. 

Are we really at the stage we're writing off Joe Willock? Guy played when he shouldn't have, through an injury and then reinjured it. So yeah, I'm not surprised he didn't play to the levels we're used to him playing, fucker's tendon was on the verge of exploding every week. 

Mental that people want to sell him, I'm pretty sure his injury is one of the main reasons we've been terrible away this season. That Willock/Joelinton dovetail on the left was like having an extra player in both defence and attack.

Get him fit and he'll play a key role

6 hours ago, OCK said:

Are we really at the stage we're writing off Joe Willock? Guy played when he shouldn't have, through an injury and then reinjured it. So yeah, I'm not surprised he didn't play to the levels we're used to him playing, fucker's tendon was on the verge of exploding every week. 

Needs to show this season that he's not a perma-crock. Ideally a completely injury free season.

24 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Needs to show this season that he's not a perma-crock. Ideally a completely injury free season.

Same can be said for a lot of players to be fair. Barnes, Isak, Botman, Miley, Anderson. Wouldn’t say we would want to sell any of them, and I put Willock in that level. His vision with a pass man - remember that outside of the right foot pass to Isak against the Spuds?? Still get a semi just thinking about it now!

Maybe we should play him every 3 games, might prolong his season.

Maybe that was the plan originally until every cunt decided to get injured and the injury prone had play every minute of every game 

16 hours ago, OCK said:

Howe loses one game, Howe Out
Willock gets injured, Willock Out

Its mental isn't it. 

I for one think he will be an absolute monster once he comes through this. He is so well suited to our style with his progressive carries. 

Time out will make him stronger.

Cant wait to see him in action 

18 hours ago, TRon said:

Why is that? He's still very young, and I would have thought selling him now would make the least amount of sense since his value will have gone down due to missing a season through injury. What would be the point of selling?

If he’s one of the very few players that can bring in a fee, where they are not currently a major player.

I like Willock, but he’s had a whole season out which hasn’t been his fault, and the games he played he was terrible, but again was because he wasn’t over the injury. Everyone fit, I’m sure majority of people have Joe/Bruno/Tonali as the starting CMs, so in a season where we could play just 40 games, he may not feature as much, where his value in the 22/23 season is further from peoples minds.

So if the opportunity was to get a top CM that’s more useful in positions using the funds, then I would back such a transfer.

4 hours ago, Sibierski said:

If he’s one of the very few players that can bring in a fee, where they are not currently a major player.

I like Willock, but he’s had a whole season out which hasn’t been his fault, and the games he played he was terrible, but again was because he wasn’t over the injury. Everyone fit, I’m sure majority of people have Joe/Bruno/Tonali as the starting CMs, so in a season where we could play just 40 games, he may not feature as much, where his value in the 22/23 season is further from peoples minds.

So if the opportunity was to get a top CM that’s more useful in positions using the funds, then I would back such a transfer.

He's actually one of our more skilful players though, he can beat a man, score goals, carry the ball at pace and ping a killer pass now and then. How are you going to buy a player with those assets for the sort of fee you would get for selling him bearing in mind his value will have dropped after a season out with injury?

Willock isn't going anywhere. CM is currently without need of reinforcement. We sell Willock we likely have to buy someone to replace him. 

We are just a few months away from having Bruno, Tonali, J7, Willock, Miley, and Longstaff all battling it out over 3 midfield spots, after a season of having to go over and over with the same 3. Lets not chuck that out.  

6 hours ago, Sibierski said:

He didn't recover from the 2nd 1, but the Man U game away in the League Cup, he was exceptional. Literally, unplayable. In 1 of the strangest teams I've ever seen us put out. 

Since we are not in any European competition next season, I agree with those who think we should sell him if an offer like 30m comes along if that allows us to get top targets in other positions that we need. 

We all agree that we should improve next season. It’s not just that our owners are too ambitious, it’s that I am afraid players like Bruno or Isak wouldn’t stay for long if they don’t see the Newcastle project going in the direction they would want, especially since all top clubs would be happy to have them in their teams. 

We should work to get players who can transform us, and Willock isn’t a player who will do that in all honesty. He’s a decent player who could be a good impact sub, but that’s it. He would be an important player for Everton or Brentford, but we should be aiming to have players of the Bruno or Isak caliber in all positions. Don’t forget our owners want us to win the league in 8 years (it was 10 years from the takeover). 

People were lambasting last season we didn’t cash in on Almiron/Wilson, just surprised the attitude is different this season to people who are on fringes of main XI. If we trust Miley/Anderson to make a step forward next season, Willock is in the middle part where he’s blocking them or not starting over main guys. 

Obvs if Longstaff is the one that goes Willock stays, but I feel one of the CMs goes this summer to bring in funds, don’t need 7. 

Even if you want to sell Willock, with all his injuries he's barely played this year so will have a relatively low value right now. Longstaff played 46 games and scored 8 goals so might be at a high value point.

Alternatively, if there are no suitable offers keep both and loan out Anderson so he can actually play a year as a starter at a decent level and we can see if he's likely to be good enough long term.