Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Guest firetotheworks

Gotta love people ripping 'his' signings like. The most brain-dead argument going.

"Well yeah, Ashley fucked him over but Rafa's 16th choice, last resort, bargain basement striker that he had to resort to is shit. EXPLAIN THAT! And don't get me started on Murphy, why wasn't that money spent elsewhere even though it was before Ashley's lies were apparent?!?!? HOWEH THEN STEINBERG. EXPLAIN!"

Gotta love people ripping 'his' signings like. The most brain-dead argument going.

"Well yeah, Ashley fucked him over but Rafa's 16th choice, last resort, bargain basement striker that he had to resort to is shit. EXPLAIN THAT! And don't get me started on Murphy, why wasn't that money spent elsewhere even though it was before Ashley's lies weren't apparent yet!?!?!? HOWEH THEN STEINBERG. EXPLAIN!"

Don't forget he also fucked our goalkeeping situation too by not being allowed to buy one at all! Useless tossbag.

"Well yeah, Ashley f***ed him over but Rafa's 16th choice, last resort, bargain basement striker that he had to resort to is s***. EXPLAIN THAT! And don't get me started on Murphy, why wasn't that money spent elsewhere even though it was before Ashley's lies weren't apparent yet!?!?!? HOWEH THEN STEINBERG. EXPLAIN!"

Don't forget he also f***ed our goalkeeping situation too by not being allowed to buy one at all! Useless tossbag.

He did buy one last season, an awful one that's now out on loan. He also let go of a keeper that was a great servant for the club for over a decade and was probably still our best option. He's not totally blameless in the keeper situation.

Guest firetotheworks

There's only evidence to the contrary where Krul's concerned and I'm hardly going to kick off about Sels, when every other player served his purpose.

Guest neesy111

The 3 left backs he's bought have all been useless mind.  Lazaar, played about 5 games, gamez again not seen much, manquillo is seriously the worst full-back I've seen play for us.

Show's how shite Haidara is when he can't get near the 1st team still.

There's only evidence to the contrary where Krul's concerned and I'm hardly going to kick off about Sels, when every other player served his purpose.

There was no evidence, we never saw him play for the club since Rafa arrived. He had a loan spell in Holland where he struggled to regain his fitness at Ajax, but did OK job in that other club he went to (never remember if it was AZ or Twente). I refuse to believe he had fallen below Elliot and Darlow's extremely low level.

And sels was his first signing, obviously someone he had scouted extensively and close to top of his list, since the deal was concluded very early in that window.

Guest firetotheworks

There was no evidence, we never saw him play for the club since Krul arrived. He had a loan spell in Holland where he struggled to regain his fitness at Ajax, but did OK job in that other club he went to (never remember if it was AZ or Twente). I refuse to believe he had fallen below Elliot and Darlow's extremely low level.

You might not have seen him elsewhere, but he was atrocious, likewise in the cup for Brighton after we sold him. For one of their goals he pretty much sat down, it was Mike Hooper-esque.

How would people feel had we started the season with 1 draw and 7 losses, but then jumped to 15 points by GW 17?

Aye this form is shit but comparing it to Carver form is moronic considering he done worse with actual PL quality players. This squad has 2 or 3 max.

The 3 left backs he's bought have all been useless mind.  Lazaar, played about 5 games, gamez again not seen much, manquillo is seriously the worst full-back I've seen play for us.

Show's how shite Haidara is when he can't get near the 1st team still.

It also shows that you need to spend serious money if you want to avoid buying flops. Or be prepared to pay for a player who is 29/30 but proven. When you are spending a couple of mill on a player whose under that age, chances are he's not going to be that good.

Tbf I've probably suggested 4-4-2 at times, so understand trying that.

But the Darlow inclusion has been a disaster, the handling of Mitro has been poor, and we look bit lifeless now.

He got dealt a shit hand, we needed to spend a lot more. Totally fair comment. Been screwed on that.

Worrying thing for me, is even if we can't win for a bit, you need to get a few draws. 2-3 draws from (Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester, Everton) and we'd have a bit of a gap.

All too tight now. Losing West Ham game would be a disaster.

A lot of people, myself included, give Rafa the benefit of the doubt - for the sole reason that he came to the club in the first place. He gets a free pass from time to time, because of his acts of 'benevolence'. I'm happy to admit that.

But even if you strip away that context - even if he was 'just a manager' (rather than a saviour), I wouldn't - in a million years - be urging him for the sack. A manager needs time and resources to build a squad fit for this league, and he hasn't been given that.

A lot of people, myself included, give Rafa the benefit of the doubt - for the sole reason that he came to the club in the first place. He gets a free pass from time to time, because of his acts of 'benevolence'. I'm happy to admit that.

But even if you strip away that context - even if he was 'just a manager' (rather than a saviour), I wouldn't - in a million years - be urging him for the sack. A manager needs time and resources to build a squad fit for this league, and he hasn't been given that.

:thup: Spot on, Yorkie.

No idea why some mongs amongst our fanbase can't get their head around this.

What if we finish bottom with him this year wont you deem that as a failure and who would be to blame??

What if we finish bottom with him this year wont you deem that as a failure and who would be to blame??

You could give f***ing Guardiola or any manager in football this squad and they'd still struggle.

Everyone knew how much of a slog this season would be given Ashley's intervention in the summer. If you want to chuck the towel in, go ahead.

You could give f***ing Guardiola or any manager in football this squad and they'd still struggle.

Everyone knew how much of a slog this season would be given Ashley's intervention in the summer. If you want to chuck the towel in, go ahead.

40 years of watching NUFC has made me well aware that a big kick in the nuts is only around the corner. After last seasons highs the summer and reality was that kick in the nuts. Lets all be honest here the likelihood now and from what we have seen is that come august we again will be a championship team. Everyone is talking about money and players signed in January we tried that previously and still went down sometimes the damage is already done by then, also the quality of player is not going to want to come to a team in the bottom 3 who potentially could be playing championship football in 6 months time ( see Andros Townsend for this)

We have lost to both of the teams that were promoted with us and to a fair few teams around us, if im being honest theres no way I can see this squad/team hitting 40 points or winning 10 plus games it is in effect the same one that lost 10 games in the championship last season sprinkled with a few very poor additions

If we finish bottom it would be a disaster and a total failure, and Benitez would have a significant amount of accountability, just as he does now for our poor run of form (or any run of form we've had during his tenure).

But I'm talking in the present tense, and I'm saying he deserves time and money to build a squad that's fit for purpose, in spite of his recent errors.

If the board is transparent and faithful regarding January's plans, and we spend a fair amount of money to fill the gaps in the squad... but are in the relegation zone come April... he'll be chastised and it will probably be fair enough.

40 years of watching NUFC has made me well aware that a big kick in the nuts is only around the corner. After last seasons highs the summer and reality was that kick in the nuts. Lets all be honest here the likelihood now and from what we have seen is that come august we again will be a championship team. Everyone is talking about money and players signed in January we tried that previously and still went down sometimes the damage is already done by then, also the quality of player is not going to want to come to a team in the bottom 3 who potentially could be playing championship football in 6 months time ( see Andros Townsend for this)

We have lost to both of the teams that were promoted with us and to a fair few teams around us, if im being honest theres no way I can see this squad/team hitting 40 points or winning 10 plus games it is in effect the same one that lost 10 games in the championship last season sprinkled with a few very poor additions

Steve McClaren being manager for two thirds of the season sent us down that year. He should've gone after Chelsea away or Everton away which would've allowed Benitez plenty more time to work with the players. If we gave Rafa £80m like we did to McClaren that year this season we wouldn't be where we are, because Rafa Benitez is not the problem, as you've been implying heavily with your recent posts.

The bottom half of the league is still tightly packed together. Despite this awful run we've been on we're 3 points off 11th. Yes, no one can see where our next win comes from, I can't either, but there's a law of averages and we'll pick up a win soon. It's going to be a horrid, turgid season. Like I said before, if you think we're definitely down, there's no chance of staying up, throw the towel in.

We've never been relegated the following season from promotion so if you have 40 years history watching us you wouldn't expect us to be relegated this season. Not that we don't look like relegation fodder of course.

We've never been relegated the following season from promotion so if you have 40 years history watching us you wouldn't expect us to be relegated this season. Not that we don't look like relegation fodder of course.

That's true ive yet to see that but it will be something new to add to the long list of disappointments...lost cup finals, semi finals, close shaves in the league, Marseille and sporting Lisbon, partizaqn Belgrade & relegations 4 of them

This x 1000.

Will never understand people who can't wait to have a pop at Rafa, the top quality manager who stuck by us in this frigging Championship ffs.

I don't have the time of day for any fucker who sits there thinking 'results are shit, we need to sack him, we'll be better off without him, he's the reason we're losing games.'

He's not beyond criticism but he's not the problem and never has been.

I don't have the time of day for any fucker who sits there thinking 'results are shit, we need to sack him, we'll be better off without him, he's the reason we're losing games.'

yup.

Glad for once this place is allowing the grey opinions to come through (in most part anyway) and seeing that it isn't just black and white and Rafa carries his share of the blame. It's took some time mind.

I never said that or suiggested he was the main problem but hes not completely absolved of any blame or failings, the fella is a damn good manager but lets be fair theres a lot better managers than him that have been sacked. When do we as fans have the right to question any manager? his tactics his signings his failings because lets be honest previous managers we have had were questioned a lot more

Rafa seems to get a free ride at times as people are seriously onside with him that its as if he cant do anything wrong and its someone elses fault we are shite. Ashley, the championship squad of players etc

He bought the vast majority of this championship squad of players, he is the one who is employing baffling squad rotation and tactics, substitutions are always late and ineffective so who else are we to blame for these deficiencies

All im saying is that hes not untouchable and has to shoulder a lot of the blame for our form and inabilities

I never said that or suiggested he was the main problem but hes not completely absolved of any blame or failings, the fella is a damn good manager but lets be fair theres a lot better managers than him that have been sacked. When do we as fans have the right to question any manager? his tactics his signings his failings because lets be honest previous managers we have had were questioned a lot more

Rafa seems to get a free ride at times as people are seriously onside with him that its as if he cant do anything wrong and its someone elses fault we are shite. Ashley, the championship squad of players etc

He bought the vast majority of this championship squad of players, he is the one who is employing baffling squad rotation and tactics, substitutions are always late and ineffective so who else are we to blame for these deficiencies

All im saying is that hes not untouchable and has to shoulder a lot of the blame for our form and inabilities

What point are you even trying to make? Most people have said he's not above criticism and he has made mistakes on this run. If that's all you want why do you then drum on about better managers having been sacked? I don't give a fuck who has lost their job elsewhere. We sack Rafa and we get Craig Shakespeare, Tony Pulis or whatever PFM shitehawk is available at the time. Why even talk about a potential sacking when the alternatives are absolutely fucking obscene?

Just like you avoided my question earlier of what transfers would you have made on the same budget I'm sure this will be ignored but here goes; who do you think would do better with this current squad?