Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

On 11/06/2021 at 23:34, Yorkie said:

Jenas has got a proper little chubb-on for Italy but they've very much been allowed to play. Don't think there's anything here to definitively suggest they're contenders. 

22 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Got to be happy with that. Unimpressive performance bar one or two, and a tidy goal. Felt we controlled the game really well on the whole but, again, without being flashy. 

Feel like it was important just to get through that game. Opening nerves, hot day, toughest opponent in the group. It was vital not to lose, and we got the bonus. 

:shifty: :bluestar: 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Nothing really, just the contrast on the two posts. England's pedestrian game was alright with all those excuses while you didn't think Italy is a contender after bossing their opener. Obviously homerism is completely fine in a major tournament but I thought your analysis of Italy was incredibly harsh.

First 20 minutes were good, with us mixing it up effectively and getting in behind their defence and making them look ordinary.  Rest of the half was ropey.

Second half didn't start well, then there was the goal and I thought the period after that was the most telling.  Foden started roving around and seeking out the ball and we started looking a hell of a lot more fluid.  The lesson is we were far too rigid before then and had to resort to hoofing it as everyone was marked.

Sterling gave us something extra and we need that type of player starting but wouldn't mind seeing Sancho there.  Would prefer James and Shaw/Chilwell at full back.

Phillips MOTM, he was everywhere and very aggressive in his play.  Overall a solid start with encouraging signs.

Edited by Interpolic

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

Nothing really, just the contrast on the two posts. England's pedestrian game was alright with all those excuses while you didn't think Italy is a contender after bossing their opener. Obviously homerism is completely fine in a major tournament but I thought your analysis of Italy was incredibly harsh.

You're comparing apples with oranges with those two posts; they're talking about different things. 

Re Italy, I thought they were good against dismal opponents and for that reason I felt that the glowing praise should've been caveated. I'm not saying they're not contenders, I'm saying that particular game didn't confirm anything either way. 

As for 'homerism'; I don't think that summary of England's performance was particularly effusive. And I didn't mention anything about our chances of winning the tournament, so I dunno what you're on about with that one. 

I feel enthusiastic about England but I'd be surprised if we win it. If we get Portugal in the next round we could very well go out there, it would just be typical. 

Not playing particularly well (thought we were very poor on the ball tbh) and and winning is a good sign. Plenty more to come from the likes of Mount and Kane who were both quiet, and then options off the bench.

It's a pity Kane couldn't get on the end of that chance from Mount. Would've given the two of them an additional shot in the arm, particularly Kane, and put a bit of gloss on the win. Never mind though. 

Just now, Pata said:

Fair enough. Italy can only beat what's in front of them though and Turkey was supposed to be a decent side, pretty close to Croatia actually. England obviously is a contender too, don't know what you're on about with that one. 

:pow:

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You're comparing apples with oranges with those two posts; they're talking about different things. 

Re Italy, I thought they were good against dismal opponents and for that reason I felt that the glowing praise should've been caveated. I'm not saying they're not contenders, I'm saying that particular game didn't confirm anything either way. 

As for 'homerism'; I don't think that summary of England's performance was particularly effusive. And I didn't mention anything about our chances of winning the tournament, so I dunno what you're on about with that one. 

I feel enthusiastic about England but I'd be surprised if we win it. If we get Portugal in the next round we could very well go out there, it would just be typical. 

Fair enough. Italy can only beat what's in front of them though and Turkey was supposed to be a decent side, pretty close to Croatia actually. England obviously is a contender too, don't know what you're on about with that one. 

Not a great game to watch, but the result is what counts I suppose.

Our attack was notably disjointed however and we were languid on the ball.

We'll not get a positive result if we play that way against better sides, Croatia just don't have the legs anymore to really threaten.

We played the World Cup finalists, they didn’t get there by fluke, and their team was much the same as before.

we played better than we did in the semi against them two years ago, that was fundamentally the most important thing.

3 minutes ago, James said:

We played the World Cup finalists, they didn’t get there by fluke, and their team was much the same as before.

we played better than we did in the semi against them two years ago, that was fundamentally the most important thing.

They really aren't the same side anymore and it was three long years ago for those Croatian legs.

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, James said:

Only 5 players from World Cup final starting XI, missing likes of Rakitic, Mandzukic and Lovren.

Guest HTT II

Boring game, England were too cautious in attack, but we did to Croatia what they’ve been doing for years to other teams and a win is a win. I thought Mings, Philips and Sterling were very good. Kane looked way off the pace. Overall some promising signs and a decent start to our tournament. I feel England will be hard to beat and when our attacking players click we will score goals. No one will want to play against England. Croatia were so poor mind. Oh and personally delighted for Sterling, so calm in the chaos with his finish!

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, James said:

Just realised that the winner of this group gets the runner up in the France / Germany / Portugal group - probably not a good thing to have won today!

Anyone of them could be runner up or winner so either way we are going to get one of the big boys whether we finish first or second and I’d rather get any if them earlier on in the tournament than say a semi or a final… as Clough told his Forest players when they drew LFC in the European Cup first game, beat them now and you won’t have to beat them in the final. 

Edited by HTT II

Thought it was a professional performance tbh. Croats never looked like creating a clear cut chance nevermind scoring, England controlled the game when they needed too. Thought Phillips was superb and Sterling/Mount always looked dangerous. Better than what I was expecting. 

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Anyone of them could be runner up or winner so either way we are going to get one of the big boys whether we finish first or second and I’d rather get any if them earlier on in the tournament than say a semi or a final… as Clough told his Forest players when they drew LFC in the European Cup first game, beat them now and you won’t have to beat them in the final. 

D2 plays against E2, so presumably Poland/Sweden/Slovakia.

Guest HTT II

I must say I like the whole demeanour if this England squad from the manager to the coaches and indeed the players - both on and off the pitch - it’s probably the most likeable England set up I can remember for me. It would be fantastic if they can go and win it at Wembley to unify the country and put some huge joy into our spirits after the shitty year and a bit we’ve all had. Come on England!

Edited by HTT II

It was exactly the sort of performance England have been incapable of for ages tbh. I was impressed (surprised) with how well drilled we were. 

Only criticisms would be that a) Foden was wasted being so rigidly stuck out wide right. No coincidence that we scored shortly after he decided to be a bit more flexible and b) Harry Kane was really poor and didn't look fit/interested. He was sluggish all game and even when he had his chance to score he was so slow to get to the ball. 

Edited by Smal

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I must say I like the whole demeanour if this England squad from the manager to the coaches and indeed the players - both on and off the pitch - it’s probably the most likeable England set up I can remember for me. It would be fantastic if they can go and win it at Wembley to unify the country and put some huge joy into our spirits after the shitty year and a bit we’ve all had. Come on England!

Its arguably Southgate's greatest achievement. He's a fantastic ambassador and has managed to unite players, fans and media. It's just a shame he's lacking as a tactician.

Guest HTT II

Love Mings’ story btw, didn’t know he was about to give up on the game and I love how so many of the players have come through the football league pyramid/EFL too.