Round of 16 | Sweden 1-2 Ukraine

Unbelievable

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

With ease Yorkie? :lol: Two 1-0's and two very even games apart from the opening 10-15 against the Czech's. Could have gone either way.

Yep, I stand by that, we controlled both games; they were 'even' cos we've approached every game with a 'just pinch a goal and stay organised' mentality.

They weren't pleasant to watch and we certainly didn't play anyone off the park, but - particularly after scoring - we never looked like we'd get anything other than a win. Both opponents had half-chances but Scotland hitting the post is as close as we've come to conceding. 

just feel that if belgium dont get to the final this time - their golden generation will have definitely underachieved. one semifinal in the last 3 tournaments for such a talented squad.

Edited by huss9

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

just feel that if belgium dont get to the final this time - their golden generation will have definitely underachieved. one semifinal in the last 3 tournaments for such a talented squad.

I think they've done OK to be honest. Narrowly losing to Argentina in a quarter final which was basically a home tie for them, and then narrowly to France in the 2018 semi-final is hardly criminal underachievement. Winning international tournaments is hard. Even this time you can't really say if they fail to reach the final they've been disastrous as they're probably going to have to go through 3 other pre-tournament favourites to get there.

The big blemish is definitely Wales in 2016 though. They should have definitely made the final and probably won that tournament with most of this current squad in their mid-late 20s and most other nations underperforming. 

Edited by ponsaelius

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I think it's difficult to predict how we'll fare against far better opponents. To have beaten both Czech Republic and Croatia with ease has to count for something. Scotland was poor but I think there are certain caveats with that game. 

I think we're capable of stifling and boring just about any opponent into submission; and I think we can set up well enough to avoid an onslaught from even some of the most dynamic attacking teams. 

What we've no idea about is how we'll adapt to going a goal behind. Since coming out of the traps against Croatia we've barely attacked with any real gusto. In that game we just ground them down and converted the solitary gilt-edged chance we had; whilst against the Czechs it was an early goal and then shut-up-shop. I've no idea what's going to happen when the onus is really on us to take the game to someone.

At this point I'm assuming Southgate's plan is to win the same way against every opponent. Dull, safe, attritional, patient. If that gets us to the final then I suppose you have to say hats-off but as a casual fan who's had to effectively manufacture a ramping-up of passion due to the state of club football, it's going to feel difficult to really really enjoy it. :lol: I'll certainly take it though, and am buzzing for tomorrow. 

The key is what you said: going a goal down. If we get the first goal, I fancy us against anybody in the competition. If we go a goal down against a good side, can we recover? I'm not sure.

Guest neesy111
7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Think Croatia are going to win this fairly comfortably.

All Spain so far.