QF4: England 4 (FOWWA) - 0 Ukraine

Disco

44 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Oh shit I think I missed the Greece thing mate, aye, that's not a remotely appropriate comparison.  We're playing more like an Italian team or maybe the Zidane era French team with defence as the focus but a clear structure and plan when we get the ball.

Yeah, and when it was pointed out that it was a load of rubbish it was doubled down on. :lol:

1 hour ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Oh shit I think I missed the Greece thing mate, aye, that's not a remotely appropriate comparison.  We're playing more like an Italian team or maybe the Zidane era French team with defence as the focus but a clear structure and plan when we get the ball.

So, you know, like Greece did. They won the thing. You might do so too. There's even been comparable analysis of the two on our coverage over here. 

Edited by Kaizero

Just now, Kaizero said:

So, you know, like Greece did. 

:lol: was it you? ahahahaha

I mean if you can't see a difference between the two I can't help you.  There's a difference between making sure you're solid but still attacking as we do and hoying the entire team behind the ball like Greece did.

Just now, mrmojorisin75 said:

I mean if you can't see a difference between the two I can't help you.  There's a difference between making sure you're solid but still attacking as we do and hoying the entire team behind the ball like Greece did.

As I mentioned yesterday, Greece attacked more often than England has :lol: 

Just now, Kimbo said:

Tell you what what, I’d rather watch England than that fucking Spain team that won everything.

They were the absolute worst. They made me hate football on a level I didn't know existed.

2 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Two games from "I'd be embarrassed to win a tournament playing like you did" 

:lol:

England-Denmark should be a terrific match.

If I were y’all, I think I’d be disappointed with anything less than winning it all. Strongest team on paper and it seems to be clicking.

4 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

The build-ups are the same as well, counters play out similarly and the defense also is similar in the way they drop back under pressure to soak it up. Difference is England has better players. When you see them side by side analyzed you'd likely also see Southgate is quite inspired by those tactics. Not that there's anything wrong with that choice for the team itself, Greece won.

All I was saying was I was not entertained as a neutral, I'm still not, really. But the second half yesterday was a good watch for most of it.

Edited by Kaizero

3 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

The post about goals in the group games?  As I recall it the "Greecing their way to it" kind of took off in the knockout stages but obviously didn't pay that much attention to them early on.

5 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Second half was dogshit the moment Maguire scored.

I like you very much, mojo. You seem to get things. The only issue here for me is that certain melts can't seem to fathom that being happy your team is advancing and the team not playing all that entertaining football from a neutral perspective can exist at the same time. It doesn't subtract from the joy as a supporter. It feels like I'm insulting people directly by daring to say I've been disappointed due to expecting a more offensive England than what we've gotten, as a neutral, due to the attacking players at hand and the desire to watch them do their thing.

You play Denmark next, as if there should be any doubts which team of the two I hope win :lol: 

Edited by Kaizero

8 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I like you very much, mojo. You seem to get things. The only issue here for me is that certain melts can't seem to fathom that being happy your team is advancing and the team not playing all that entertaining football from a neutral perspective can exist at the same time. It doesn't subtract from the joy as a supporter. It feels like I'm insulting people directly by daring to say I've been disappointed due to expecting a more offensive England than what we've gotten, as a neutral, due to the attacking players at hand and the desire to watch them do their thing.

You play Denmark next, as if there should be any doubts which team of the two I hope win :lol: 

Can't argue with that.  Greece comparison tho :lol:

9 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Can't argue with that.  Greece comparison tho :lol:

It's not mine and mine alone, they've even shown direct video analysis of the two :lol: It's jarring how similar the approach it, only with you having better players so you can do it better. 

I could probably agree with the Greece comparison in the early stages, especially the Scotland game, it was eye aids. We have got the capability of attacking teams with intent, but that doesn't win you tournaments. Having said that the last 2 games have been much more entertaining, although, as stated previously, not exactly total football we've attacked when we've needed to, defended well and not overstretched ourselves in the pursuit of total football. Rafa taught me that a proper game of chess can be as mentally enthralling as a KK blitz. 

Italy, for all their first half aggression against Belgium themselves shored up and sat back and shithoused their way to a boring last 30 minutes, because they knew that would get them to a semi final.

Kyle Walker is excellent. He makes mistakes occasionally but he's absolutely vital in this defence and he is also the only defender we have that is capable of taking risks and playing passes through opposition lines. Was more or less our best performer vs Germany imo. He wasn't great yesterday but the way he played, essentially a defensive full back covering the lack of pace in Stones/Maguire, is what freed up Shaw to get forward and be so creative. 

Wonder if Gareth will go 5 at the back for the next game. Tbf, I’ve been way too harsh on him throughout this tournament; his selections, in hindsight seem to have been spot on.

I will say though that the quality of this squad has helped massively. Hard to go wrong when you have to choose 3 from Grealish, Sterling, Mount, Foden, Saka and Sancho tbh. Might sound cocky but I think a 2nd choice England team could feasibly pose a threat to any team left in the tournament. 

7 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Walker aswell.

At least with Walker he recovers well, after Pickford screwed that clearance up he looked shook, made 2 or 3 mistakes shortly after.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I know it's just a bit of harmless fun but I can't stand the It's Coming Home stuff that's started the last few years espeically people who don't like football usually

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

I could probably agree with the Greece comparison in the early stages, especially the Scotland game, it was eye aids. We have got the capability of attacking teams with intent, but that doesn't win you tournaments. Having said that the last 2 games have been much more entertaining, although, as stated previously, not exactly total football we've attacked when we've needed to, defended well and not overstretched ourselves in the pursuit of total football. Rafa taught me that a proper game of chess can be as mentally enthralling as a KK blitz. 

Italy, for all their first half aggression against Belgium themselves shored up and sat back and shithoused their way to a boring last 30 minutes, because they knew that would get them to a semi final.

This is the one. I loved every minute of Rafa, he was a tactical genius. That doesn't mean I didn't understand if someone who didn't support Newcastle found us a defensive side to watch.

The last 30 of Italy as well was boring. People seem to forget that as a neutral I want entertainment, so I'm complaining with that in mind. It's why I wanted to see England go for 5 rather than be content with 4, even though I understand the tactical reasons why. You'd just subbed on players we'd not seen a lot of as well. Rashford, Bellingham, DCL... Who can fault me for wanting to see them involved in play? I mean, come on :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Not like Kaizero to have a shockingly crap opinion.

Not like Fantail Breeze to come in with an off-topic insult and contribute nothing to an actual discussion.