UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

Guest HTT II

This could be bullshit like but just got a text off a family member saying it now raining in Newcastle is a lucky omen as when we won it in ‘66 it rained in Newcastle that day. Not that I’m superstitious of course… can we wear red tonight?

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Plan should be similar to the Germany game. Keep it tight and use the bench to grow into the game. I think we'll be on the back foot a lot, the midfield 3 have got a massive job on.

I think Italy will be very cautious early on and try and draw us out, if we can do that but punish them with a goal early on, them having to then come out will open it up even more for us, gonna be cagey this one and I do fear Mancini’s tactical acumen in games like this over say Southgate, I’m sure Wor Graeme as a Geordie Cilla would say, however, will have something to say about that! 

Edited by HTT II

Judging by the sky sports news coverage there's barely a mask outside wembley, crazy.  Hope that confidence translates on the pitch :lol:, definitely going to be a cagey game, but I fancy us to nick it and then play bruceball to hold on.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Good post, I do think if we fail to win, however, it will have to go down as a failure because this is the best chance we’ve ever had in 55 years and these players and the manager and coaches more than have it in them to deliver. 

So do Italy though. I'll talk about defeat after the game. Watching the Newcastle players give their predictions has warmed me up a bit, and I'm beginning to look forward to it. Still not turning on until the pundits have fucked off.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

So do Italy though. I'll talk about defeat after the game. Watching the Newcastle players give their predictions has warmed me up a bit, and I'm beginning to look forward to it. Still not turning on until the pundits have fucked off.

They do and that’s why both teams are in the Final, I think off the bench at least we have the greater options should we need them. And in Kane if we give him the service he’s deadly basically! Italy are very much like England, no big real mega stars or egos, a team that is more than the sum of its parts managed perfectly by the man in the dugout. 

Edited by HTT II

30 minutes ago, HTT II said:

One thing I’m confident with this manager, the group and the coaches is that we will be good at a managing the occasion and I don’t think we’ll get overwhelmed in that regard. I’m quietly, nervously, confident. It will be very close, 2-1 for either side. Hopefully we will be the victors!  

Yeah. I might be wrong, but the occasion overwhelming the squad doesn't worry me. I think they're mentally the strongest we've had in my time.

24 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think a lot of people are feeling this way, and I put that down (the quiet confidence) to the manager and this group of players who are so level headed, have no egos and are seemingly playing not just for themselves, but the country and to genuinely bring much needed joy to the nation after this horrific year and a half or so with the pandemic. Having 60k plus fans in there will be huge I feel as well, so home advantage could be the difference too! 

I think Sterling exemplifies this fantastically. The press tried to make it all about him, and previous generations have been only too happy for their ego to soak it up, but Sterling is just England through and through.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Yeah. I might be wrong, but the occasion overwhelming the squad doesn't worry me. I think they're mentally the strongest we've had in my time.

Aye, I think the German game and going one down to Denmark showed they are a calm and collected group.

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
Just now, Happinesstan said:

I think Sterling exemplifies this fantastically. The press tried to make it all about him, and previous generations have been only too happy for their ego to soak it up, but Sterling is just England through and through.

I love Sterling me, as a player and a person, he epitomises everything that is good, honest and decent about this England team. Hate how the media who once vilified him have him as a hero today, populist cunts!

29 minutes ago, HTT II said:

This could be bullshit like but just got a text off a family member saying it now raining in Newcastle is a lucky omen as when we won it in ‘66 it rained in Newcastle that day. Not that I’m superstitious of course… can we wear red tonight?

:lol:  

Apparently going for a back 5, with Trippier coming back in, with Mount and Sterling behind Kane.

Think that’s a bit too negative personally, but can’t argue with wanting to keep it tight early on.

Edited by McCormick

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Apparently going for a back 5, with Trippier coming back in, with Mount and Sterling behind Kane.

Think that’s a bit too negative personally, but can’t argue with wanting to keep it tight early on.

Has mount become undroppable for some reason?

Guest HTT II

He’s a decent player, but like Rice, I don’t see all the fuss, he’s average in many ways, Foden is twice the talent, Grealish too.

Just now, McCormick said:

Mount’s great, but I don’t see him being much use on the counter attack (if our tactic is to sit back and break).

If the plan is for Shaw and Trippier to exploit the space, it could be a winner. Bring the runners on later in the game.

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

If the plan is for Shaw and Trippier to exploit the space, it could be a winner. Bring the runners on later in the game.

Don’t think we’re playing to our strengths though, would much rather have more players in the final third that can make runs/ run at their backline with pace.

3 hours ago, neesy111 said:

Seen some people have already started on the drink for this.  They won't last till KO.

Silly buggers, why would you want to be mortal drunk by the time the game even starts. 

26 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Where's that coming from?