PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

This is really fucking dumb. I can't believe it's gotten to the point where The Athletic have actually managed to get an article out of it. It's purely down to Chelsea having the largest collection of big names players that need shifting off the wage bill. If the PIF were really secretly trying to ghost own Chelsea, surely the best way they could help is a bumper front of shirt sponsorship from one of their companies. Instead it's looking like Chelsea will have to go with Stake. A company last seen on the front of Everton's shirt, who they can only have as a one year stop gap anyway. 

I don't think there's any great conspiracy to help or hinder Chelsea or Newcastle.

But I do think the growth of the Saudi league will benefit those clubs with aging stars on huge wages and long contracts. I'd rather they (like Chelsea) suffered for their decisions, but this is now somewhere else to offload them, and therefore doesn't help clubs who try to do things in the right way.

Also think it adds it adds to the massive wage inflation in the game. It's when they start picking up players in their prime on multiple times the wages anyone else can offer that it starts to be a major problem.

But then, I suppose people have been saying that about the PL and the big European clubs for years.

Yes it is, it’s very simple, Chelsea have an awful lot of ‘big name players’ that they want to offload, and Saudi want a lot of big name players for their league. 

it’s an unfortunate coincidence and nothing more.

PIF have such an unfathomably large portfolio of investments, a lot of the major players will be managing funds on their behalf.

US investors are becoming more and more common in the Premier League, so the conflicts of interest (or at least the perceived conflicts) are likely to grow. The PL will be fully aware of this and no doubt have conflict procedures in place to manage those relationships.

PIF are trying to grow the brand of their domestic league and are snapping up any willing takers. Chelsea have a lot of household names on the books they want rid of, it'll be as simple as that.

To me it looks like a lot of putting two and two together and getting six.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Gary Neville making a cunt of himself again calling for a ban on transfers to Saudi Arabia. Stick to matters on the pitch you thick Manc cunt.

Makes you wonder if he realises how racist such a proposal even is, even before getting into such basic things as footballers being damn well able to decide what’s best for themselves?

Just now, Unbelievable said:

Makes you wonder if he realises how racist such a proposal even is, even before getting into such basic things as footballers being damn well able to decide what’s best for themselves?

He hasn’t called for a ban he’s called for it to be stopped to let an investigation in to wether there are any concrete links between Chelsea and PIF. 

i mean it’s ridiculous bandwagon jumping but it’s not at all racist 

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

So this “ban” would only involve transfers between Chelsea and Saudi clubs?

No idea. That’s the quotes there. 

23 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Best stay off the forum if you don't like the opinions of others [emoji38]

I was just stating it lacked any facts.  I totally respect the opinions of others.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Somehow I doubt he’d be saying that if they had given Man United £50m for McTominay and £40m for Martial.

I think he would, like. Neville has been pushing for more football regulation for years.

I don't mind Neville. He isn't perfect but it's good to have such a visible and high-profile figure lobbying over these sorts of things. If a pile of Chelsea players go to those Saudi-owned clubs then we should be suspicious. 

18 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Somehow I doubt he’d be saying that if they had given Man United £50m for McTominay and £40m for Martial.

Exactly this...he wouldn't raise a peep if it was Man U shifting their deadwood for millions. 

He'd be saying it's great to see the middle East building a decent league offering more competition.

As good as he is as a commentator and insightful in many ways he does have an inbuilt Man U bias which is completely understandable 

12 hours ago, nufcnick said:

A few on here at the minute 

IMG_1044.jpeg

Oh I really hope that failure of a propaganda piece isn't relevant to the claims here otherwise NUFC are fucked :(

Edited by Teasy

38 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think he would, like. Neville has been pushing for more football regulation for years.

I don't mind Neville. He isn't perfect but it's good to have such a visible and high-profile figure lobbying over these sorts of things. If a pile of Chelsea players go to those Saudi-owned clubs then we should be suspicious. 

I generally like Neville too. I guess it's fine to be suspicious, but as is often the case the simplest and most obvious answer is almost certainly the right one -- no team in the world had a larger surplus of attractive players than Chelsea. Case closed.

In an ideal world clubs would be owned by supporters or something, but that ship sailed long ago. As these clubs become more valuable they are owned by a shrinking group of the richest people and investment firms in the world, all of whom have overlapping interests and relationships. AC Milan is owned by RedBird Capital with investment from the New York Yankees (baseball). RedBird is also one of the largest shareholders in Fenway Sports Group, owners of Liverpool as well as the Boston Red Sox (the Yankees main rival). RedBird, who also owns Toulouse in Ligue 1, has received significant funding from Man City's Sheikh Mansour, whose City Football Group co-owns MLS' NYC FC with the New York Yankees. The second largest investor in City Football Group is Silver Lake, who has received private equity funding from Sanabil which is owned by ... PIF.