PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Find it slightly weird, UAE have never played at the Etihad, Qatar played at Paris?

They go on about not being owned by the state, but want their National side here.

If it became a regular thing I'd wonder why, if its just a one off then I'd try not to overthink it too much.

12 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Find it slightly weird, UAE have never played at the Etihad, Qatar played at Paris?

They go on about not being owned by the state, but want their National side here.

If it became a regular thing I'd wonder why, if its just a one off then I'd try not to overthink it too much.

PR-wise they’re just much less savvy than the Qataris or Emiratis. 

14 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

They don’t actually ‘go on’ about not being a state. In the documentary they dismiss it as ‘rubbish’. I wouldn’t mind a bit of going on if it meant they could explain decisions like this one in more detail

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

They don’t actually ‘go on’ about not being a state. In the documentary they dismiss it as ‘rubbish’. I wouldn’t mind a bit of going on if it meant they could explain decisions like this one in more detail

The general perception is we are state owned, oil club etc. (Media, other clubs fans etc)

Played down by Saudi Arabia don't own Nufc, the PIF own us, and also the British media don't understand what PIF is.

But now Saudi Arabia will play at SJP.

Like I've said, if it became a regular thing I'd start to overthink it, right now I see it as a nice advert for all things Saudi, let's face it they're already the talking point of football regardless if the National side have a friendly at SJP.

Seems absolutely nonsensical to me - not only does it (understandably) invite more allegations but also the stadium will be empty. You only need to remember how poorly attended the Euro games were at SJP and that was a competitive international tournament. I can’t see this benefiting anybody at all, terrible decision.

1 minute ago, Toontimes said:

Seems absolutely nonsensical to me - not only does it (understandably) invite more allegations but also the stadium will be empty. You only need to remember how poorly attended the Euro games were at SJP and that was a competitive international tournament. I can’t see this benefiting anybody at all, terrible decision.

Euros? That was nearly 30 years ago ffs

So what? I don’t believe there will be any more enthusiasm to watch a couple of pretty crappy foreign sides than there was then. People were pretty enthused about Newcastle then too but the passion fans have for NUFC doesn’t pass on to watching any teams (unless they are locally based).

23 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

The PL statement when the takeover happened didn't say they weren't owned by the state, it was that the club wouldn't be controlled by the state. 

Exactly this, I don’t understand why people can’t get that through their heads 

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

I'll imagine the money being given to us for hosting this helps to explain the why behind this idea.

I’m sure you are right from our perspective but will it be worth all the negative feedback we will get. And if they pay us loads questions will inevitably be asked about that too.

Seemed like an inevitable move eventually. Let's face it, we're owned by a horrible regime and we're going to get a load of stick in the media for the foreseeable. It's the trade off that's been discussed on here many times, if we're happy to accept the benefits of the Saudis pumping millions into the club then we've got to take it on the chin when the (largely justified) criticism comes our way. Don't see how you can have it both ways 

People are looking for reasons to kick off about our ownership as if they've just learned about it, for whatever reason. This sort of thing was always going to happen and I think some people need to stop following the club for the sake of their own blood pressure.

15 minutes ago, midds said:

Seemed like an inevitable move eventually. Let's face it, we're owned by a horrible regime and we're going to get a load of stick in the media for the foreseeable. It's the trade off that's been discussed on here many times, if we're happy to accept the benefits of the Saudis pumping millions into the club then we've got to take it on the chin when the (largely justified) criticism comes our way. Don't see how you can have it both ways 

I agree totally but I just cannot see what PIF hope to achieve with it either. Perhaps it will draw a big crowd and prove to be a real spectacle for them, but I cannot see it myself.

7 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

People are looking for reasons to kick off about our ownership as if they've just learned about it, for whatever reason. This sort of thing was always going to happen and I think some people need to stop following the club for the sake of their own blood pressure.

My blood pressure is fine (!) but the issue is not what our supporters think about it. It is about the negative publicity it attracts for the club.

28 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

I’m sure you are right from our perspective but will it be worth all the negative feedback we will get. And if they pay us loads questions will inevitably be asked about that too.

It's a Saudi problem tbh, if they are happy to get negative feedback, let them get on with it. I'm sure they must have considered the drawbacks as much as the benefits of such an exercise.

From a NUFC fan point of view I would just stay away from it, not something I am interested in.