PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

I know everyone hates Man Utd, but they are one of the three biggest clubs in the world. Probably one of the 5 or 6 biggest sports teams globally. We're not going to match their list of sponsorships in 24 months.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

I know everyone hates Man Utd, but they are one of the three biggest clubs in the world. Probably one of the 5 or 6 biggest sports teams globally. We're not going to match their list of sponsorships in 24 months.

But at least they can't stop us from trying 

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

That was my first thought, and I get that but how hard is it to sort out? tbf I haven't got a clue myself, just assumed it would be talking to a bunch of companies, do you want to sponsor us, bit of paperwork and some signatures, bish bash bosh.

Edited by BonesJones

11 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Would imagine that Leazes Park or similar would be explored again too. Never really got the massive uproar against it the last time. It’s not as if access to green space is an issue for anyone in the North East of England full stop.

I get it to an extent.  I wouldn’t want to see the town moor replaced with a bunch of Barrett homes.

But the tactics of ‘Friends of Leazes Park’ and that daft bint who led them was underhand.  Canvassing for signatures in Sunderland was the lowest.  The pro- move side had far more signatures (over 100k from memory) before John Hall pulled the plug.

And there was very little hand-wringing from the support at the time.  People seem a lot more attached to SJP than they did in the mid-90s.

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

We aren’t, but that’s more to do with valuation of the deals rather than the deals themselves.  

17 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

That was my first thought, and I get that but how hard is it to sort out? tbf I haven't got a clue myself, just assumed it would be talking to a bunch of companies, do you want to sponsor us, bit of paperwork and some signatures, bish bash bosh.

Was talking to one of the senior people in Man Utd's commercial team week before last. Even with their huge global profile and massive commercial teams looking all over the world for deals, getting sponsors isn't easy

What does a minor sponsor get for the investment ? Their name on the LED boards and maybe a press release

Hard for them to demonstrate ROI and that's for one of the biggest clubs in the world. And we're nowhere near them in terms of our global profile

Edited by bobbydazzla

5 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

I think it depends on how we want to approach it. We could probably get 5-10 companies to be global partners, "official spirit partner," etc. at some fraction of whatever Man United gets for it. We're then locked into that for X years. If we tried to get their number most companies would laugh at us and if we did get one it would probably get challenged.

We seem to be taking the opposite approach, going top down. New shirt sponsor at a top 7 level, new kit manufacturer with a big brand getting the "elite" treatment. By all accounts it sounds like the training ground / kit sponsorship might be next.

I can see the logic -- I imagine it'd be hard to ask someone to give you, say, £2m per year to be some vague global partner when only triple that gets you the shirt (fun88). Also, as we're building up the infrastructure within the club there's a far better ROI to be spending time with Adidas and talking to companies about putting their name on shirts, stadiums, and training grounds. 

My guess is things like airline, hotel, and/or betting partners will be in the foreseeable future, but we're probably a long way from "Official Formal Wear Partner" and "Official Electrical Styling Partner."

15 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I think it depends on how we want to approach it. We could probably get 5-10 companies to be global partners, "official spirit partner," etc. at some fraction of whatever Man United gets for it. We're then locked into that for X years. If we tried to get their number most companies would laugh at us and if we did get one it would probably get challenged.

We seem to be taking the opposite approach, going top down. New shirt sponsor at a top 7 level, new kit manufacturer with a big brand getting the "elite" treatment. By all accounts it sounds like the training ground / kit sponsorship might be next.

I can see the logic -- I imagine it'd be hard to ask someone to give you, say, £2m per year to be some vague global partner when only triple that gets you the shirt (fun88). Also, as we're building up the infrastructure within the club there's a far better ROI to be spending time with Adidas and talking to companies about putting their name on shirts, stadiums, and training grounds. 

My guess is things like airline, hotel, and/or betting partners will be in the foreseeable future, but we're probably a long way from "Official Formal Wear Partner" and "Official Electrical Styling Partner."

Well explained.

Think I just want us to exploit everything before the rules change, simply because that's what others have done before us and for a far greater benefit than anything we can currently get away with.

Wish there was something we could do to take advantage of the Saudi connection, that's some how within the rules.

Ahhhh why the fuck are we having to discuss bollocks like this whilst also having owners with $600 billion more than the closest club. I don't want the rich club to be able just go nuts and destroy the game more than it is, but this is a joke.

A club hit by I assume one of the worst injury lists for the first half season, is unable to buy new players without first getting rid of player x, to then have the risk that you don't end up getting player y, leaving you even worse off. Make it make sense.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

We’re not locked in for X years if you use PIF-affiliated companies to do the deals with them.  Whack them in at 20% of the value of the Man Utd deals on one- or two-year contracts - which would likely be enough to pass the ‘FMV’ shite that the PL has, and most would likely be under the related party transactions threshold.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’re not locked in for X years if you use PIF-affiliated companies to do the deals with them.  Whack them in at 20% of the value of the Man Utd deals on one- or two-year contracts - which would likely be enough to pass the ‘FMV’ shite that the PL has, and most would likely be under the related party transactions threshold.

True, we could do that. We've decided not to for whatever reason. Maybe the money isn't worth the likely hassle. Or maybe related to what seems to be a clear attempt (only maybe Sela aside) of doing everything above board.

34 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

True, we could do that. We've decided not to for whatever reason. Maybe the money isn't worth the likely hassle. Or maybe related to what seems to be a clear attempt (only maybe Sela aside) of doing everything above board.

The above board is likely.

We are playing it cautious with transfers because of FFP and Everton and Forrest.

And we are playing it cool with commercial deals because of Man City.

Both legal actions put the spotlight firmly on us to keep our bum squeaky.

Going to be disappointing if come new kit launch day the club store is shut for renovations, but it is massively required.

I think the place has had the same leak above the escalator since it first opened.

I’d love to see more merchandise licenses handed so our future supporters and our collectible supporters can have something to buy. Time was we had a Monopoly board game, and even a club video game. Now we can’t even get a Subbuteo club branded game.

10 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Looking forward to eating my NUFC branded ShinCup noodles for lunch ? 

Noddles better be in the shape of our club badge for me to buy it.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

Going to be disappointing if come new kit launch day the club store is shut for renovations, but it is massively required.

I think the place has had the same leak above the escalator since it first opened.

I’d love to see more merchandise licenses handed so our future supporters and our collectible supporters can have something to buy. Time was we had a Monopoly board game, and even a club video game. Now we can’t even get a Subbuteo club branded game.

Theres a bit from Douglas that says the take over in May so presumably the store gets a full makeover before the official launch

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder if there has been a realisation amongst the executives, with FFP constraints, we can't let the contracts of senior players run down?

Would say the transfer and contracts for high earners nearing the last four years of their playing career is pretty clear. Sell if there is interest

56 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Theres a bit from Douglas that says the take over in May so presumably the store gets a full makeover before the official launch

Would presume adidas launch from 1st July, gives them great lead time for production and marketing ahead of holiday season.

14 hours ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

The above board is likely.

We are playing it cautious with transfers because of FFP and Everton and Forrest.

And we are playing it cool with commercial deals because of Man City.

Both legal actions put the spotlight firmly on us to keep our bum squeaky.

6 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Its great when posts align like this

I know it may not be practical with rent costs in Newcastle and having a megastore already, but I’d love to see a return of club stores in the city centre aside from SJP.