PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

24 minutes ago, Slim said:

Barca Stadium

As for the Camp Nou’s new moniker, naming rights deals and the like for European soccer stadiums are rare compared to competitions such as Major League Soccer (MLS), not to mention other North American sports leagues. According to US-based consultancy firm Duff & Phelps, English soccer champions Manchester City rake in UK£21.9 million (US$28.8 million) a year from their stadium sponsor agreement with airline Etihad.

image.thumb.png.f0f8f1dd7eb2299d63085e3e46d8fbbf.png

That’s for the entire Spotify deal, including the shirt. The stadium portion is estimated at €5m.

I wrote this in the transfer thread last week:

On 18/01/2024 at 10:06, timeEd32 said:

Stadium naming rights generally generate a lot less than you may think. The headline figures can be big as they are usually multi-decade deals and it's nice, consistent revenue, but it likely wouldn't be a game changer for us.

• The stadium naming rights for Spotify Camp Nou are apparently worth roughly €5m per season.
  • The Emirates deal is shockingly low at around £4m/year for the stadium portion.
  • The Etihad is around £20m/year (and likely inflated).
  • The NFL's Kansas City Chiefs did something we may look at as they didn't want to lose the Arrowhead Stadium name, so for $4m per year it's GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium.
  • New York's MetLife stadium (home of the Giants and Jets) is $16m/year, the same as baseball's New York Mets Citi Field. Both were new stadiums at the time, which is more attractive to the sponsor.
  • One of the biggest deals is SoFi Stadium (also new), home of the NFL's LA Rams and Chargers, for $30m per season (20 year deal). LA is also home to what I think is the biggest deal in the world, Crypto.com arena (home of the Lakers and, for now, Clippers) for $35m/year.

My guess is anything above £4-8m would get pushback (maybe £10-15m if we built a new stadium). It's a new squad player, not a shopping bonanza.

The City deal is a bad benchmark for a number of reasons:

• The original 10 year, £400m Eithad shirt and stadium deal from 2011 is probably the most infamous example of an obviously inflated sponsorship
  • It was/is a huge part of charges brought against the club due to allegations it was largely funded by Mansour himself
  • It includes not just the stadium, but the whole "Etihad Campus" so it's also a training ground sponsorship
  • While the stadium wasn't brand new at the time it also didn't carry an historic name. City of Manchester Stadium doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
  • Since that deal was signed to the time it theoretically expired (2020/21) they won four PL titles and became a global club, which allows them to justify it more now
  • I say theoretically because I don't think they've actually announced a new deal / extension, but Etihad is still plastered on everything. It seems to have been done in secret with little fanfare presumably because it's tied to the aforementioned charges

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I would love us to challenge this in court as anti-competitive.  

In no other line of business is a company limited its investments by its revenue. That’s the entire point of Venture Capital. Invest to grow. 

I’m sure a lot would, the problem is, I’m pretty sure 1 club can’t challenge the PL rules and regulations (yes I know a rule can’t override the law) but I’m certain PL clubs must sign up to and abide by all rules and regulations the league sets out at the start of every season.
when we got them to the hearing over the takeover, we got them that far because Ashley didn’t sign the rules and regulations at the start of that season, a mistake they will probably never let a club repeat. 

what I will say is though, I do think that is man city’s nuclear option if it looks like it’s going badly for them in the FFP case with the PL, a legal challenge to FFP for being anticompetitive 

Edited by nufcnick

3 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

I’m sure a lot would, the problem is, I’m pretty sure 1 club can’t challenge the PL rules and regulations (yes I know a rule can’t override the law) but I’m certain PL clubs must sign up to and abide by all rules and regulations the league sets out at the start of every season.
when we got them to the hearing over the takeover, we got them that far because Ashley didn’t sign the rules and regulations at the start of that season, a mistake they will probably never let a club repeat. 

Maybe this is true.

Bosman changed the game. We have enough money to make it interesting in the courts. And even the threat of legal action will get media talking about "anti-competition" and that would at least move the needle away from the closed-shop model when there's talk of "reformation".

looking at our annual report we are light years away from clubs ahead of us.

250m yearly revenue with 85m amortization cost and 180m on wages thats all without the latest summer transfer expenditure-growth in salaries..

CL income will improve revenues and new shirt sponsor too and gate receipts will increase with 3 CL home games too but costs on new players probably take that away. I am sure that nice fee we got for ASM will be really handy which probably makes current outgoings bit more likely at least one (Wilson or Trippier or Almiron)

assuming 5 year contract for Tonali, Barnes, Livramento thats around 26m per year amortization cost. no idea on their salaries but lets say 150k, 100k and 75k thats another 15m per year.  more or less(+ Hall+ agent fees etc, lol wonder what agent fee Tonali's agent we paying for keeping a nice big secret from us of the betting case)

worse PL finish will decrease few mill's from revenue.

we do need to drive up lot more sponsors, Saudi ones and non Saudi ones too.

1 hour ago, BShearer said:

looking at our annual report we are light years away from clubs ahead of us.

250m yearly revenue with 85m amortization cost and 180m on wages thats all without the latest summer transfer expenditure-growth in salaries..

CL income will improve revenues and new shirt sponsor too and gate receipts will increase with 3 CL home games too but costs on new players probably take that away. I am sure that nice fee we got for ASM will be really handy which probably makes current outgoings bit more likely at least one (Wilson or Trippier or Almiron)

assuming 5 year contract for Tonali, Barnes, Livramento thats around 26m per year amortization cost. no idea on their salaries but lets say 150k, 100k and 75k thats another 15m per year.  more or less(+ Hall+ agent fees etc, lol wonder what agent fee Tonali's agent we paying for keeping a nice big secret from us of the betting case)

worse PL finish will decrease few mill's from revenue.

we do need to drive up lot more sponsors, Saudi ones and non Saudi ones too.

This is why we’ll get a new stadium.

We’ll need more fans in to the ground, and we’ll need more hospitality.

Let’s take my NFL team for example. Indianapolis’ Metro area has a population similar to that of the North East, although it is slightly over double the area in landmass. Anyway, their stadium has 139 corporate boxes.

You look at SJP and we have hardly any.

Premier League football clubs will be looking at what the NFL are doing and wanting to emulate it.

We’ll get a bigger stadium, and we’ll get one that has a heavy corporate hospitality element to it, like Spurs’ new stadium.

24 minutes ago, Stifler said:

This is why we’ll get a new stadium.

We’ll need more fans in to the ground, and we’ll need more hospitality.

Let’s take my NFL team for example. Indianapolis’ Metro area has a population similar to that of the North East, although it is slightly over double the area in landmass. Anyway, their stadium has 139 corporate boxes.

You look at SJP and we have hardly any.

Premier League football clubs will be looking at what the NFL are doing and wanting to emulate it.

We’ll get a bigger stadium, and we’ll get one that has a heavy corporate hospitality element to it, like Spurs’ new stadium.

This, I follow the Detroit Lions, have a look at Ford Field 65,000 seater (expandable to 70,000) and it only cost £700m, they have shit loads of corporate boxes, but the Vast majority of them are all on one side, I would love to see us do something like this so you don’t get the fans cut in half due to the boxes 

IMG_1413.jpeg

Edited by nufcnick

17 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

This, I follow the Detroit Lions, have a look at Ford Field 65,000 seater (expandable to 70,000) and it only cost £700m, they have shit loads of corporate boxes, but the Vast majority of them are all on one side, I would love to see us do something like this so you don’t get the fans cut in half due to the boxes 

IMG_1413.jpeg

I was watching the game the other day, congratulations by the way. Anyway you could see some of the sofa type couches that our owners were on about. Seemed to be out of the way, but still a good view, a lot more inoffensive then some may think.

18 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

IMG_1413.jpeg

Arena site for a new stadium….the only way forward

Just now, Stifler said:

I was watching the game the other day, congratulations by the way. Anyway you could see some of the sofa type couches that our owners were on about. Seemed to be out of the way, but still a good view, a lot more inoffensive then some may think.

Yeah for years I compared being a lions fan to being a toon fan. I think it’s a great looking stadium and like the way that all the prawn sandwich brigade are all in the same place  

17 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Castle Leazes would be my first choice (if possible)

It would be mine however objections will be made by people who live nearby in Spital Tongues etc whilst the arena site has far more potential and close to metro’s, hospitality etc.

1 hour ago, nufcnick said:

IMG_1413.jpeg

End Zone font is from 1683. 2/13 wnb

One thing I haven't got my head around is if FMV only applies to sponsorship over £1m per season, then why haven't we exploited the shit out of that? Like the whole man u thing that gets mentioned often, with all their random sponsors.

If theres not a rule against it, I just don't see why we don't just get 20 legit Saudi companies to all sponsor us for some random crap at £1m per season.

Or have I got it all wrong? Only Man Utd can justify tractor sponsorship because a poll showed more farmers support man u than any other club?

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Arena site for a new stadium….the only way forward

Would imagine that Leazes Park or similar would be explored again too. Never really got the massive uproar against it the last time. It’s not as if access to green space is an issue for anyone in the North East of England full stop.

3 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

One thing I haven't got my head around is if FMV only applies to sponsorship over £1m per season, then why haven't we exploited the shit out of that? Like the whole man u thing that gets mentioned often, with all their random sponsors.

If theres not a rule against it, I just don't see why we don't just get 20 legit Saudi companies to all sponsor us for some random crap at £1m per season.

Or have I got it all wrong? Only Man Utd can justify tractor sponsorship because a poll showed more farmers support man u than any other club?

What's to say we're not doing it or at least trying to do it? Surely we don't want to let everyone know that we've got more funds to spend on transfers than we actually have...

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

What's to say we're not doing it or at least trying to do it? Surely we don't want to let everyone know that we've got more funds to spend on transfers than we actually have...

Well like that Dr Cinik sponsor was announced, wouldn't others be also? Can't leave toilet paper sponsor man out but let hair transplant man get all the fame.