Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

35 minutes ago, wormy said:

If this guy is as worthwhile to the club's future as the board seem to think then I'm surprised they're not paying it.

I get that it's extortion for someone in a role like this but if we've already proven we're prepared to get bent over in desperation for the likes of Chris Wood and that £5m is all that's standing between having a figurehead moving things forward this summer.. 

While a high price, I’m not sure you can call it us getting bent over when it was a release clause.

It’s not like Burnley shafted us through a negotiation and we bent over. We were desperate for a body that had PL experience and we took a calculated risk. 

If the club start showing they are willing to get shafted in negotiations then we’re in trouble going forward.

I think they’ve got this right. 

57 minutes ago, wormy said:

If this guy is as worthwhile to the club's future as the board seem to think then I'm surprised they're not paying it.

I get that it's extortion for someone in a role like this but if we've already proven we're prepared to get bent over in desperation for the likes of Chris Wood and that £5m is all that's standing between having a figurehead moving things forward this summer.. 

Nah fuck that.

Keep leaving notes under the south west quadrant of Grey’s Monument halfway through the Equinox.

8 hours ago, LV said:

While a high price, I’m not sure you can call it us getting bent over when it was a release clause.

It’s not like Burnley shafted us through a negotiation and we bent over. We were desperate for a body that had PL experience and we took a calculated risk. 

If the club start showing they are willing to get shafted in negotiations then we’re in trouble going forward.

I think they’ve got this right. 

Fair points. I'm someone who saw the Wood purchase as a needs must situation and don't blame them for it in any way fwiw. But I guess I just don't feel like other clubs will see much of a distinction in us being negotiated up to £25m and us choosing to activate a £25m clause. Either way we were prepared to pay over the odds.

49 minutes ago, wormy said:

Fair points. I'm someone who saw the Wood purchase as a needs must situation and don't blame them for it in any way fwiw. But I guess I just don't feel like other clubs will see much of a distinction in us being negotiated up to £25m and us choosing to activate a £25m clause. Either way we were prepared to pay over the odds.

Because we needed a striker immediately. We need a DoF for the long haul. The team that negotiated January can manage post-season.

If DoF is a salary of £1m pa at Brighton then asking for £5m is an insult to Ashworth; they have been under paying him.

4 hours ago, wormy said:

Because we needed him yesterday. In the summer we will have time to say no to any unreasonable demands. That impression shouldn;t last long.

Edit: Also, will our response to the Botman and Carlos deals leave no impression?

Edited by Happinesstan

23 minutes ago, Ikon said:

True, but I respect them not having the piss taken out of them. Helps us not feel like we've 'just' bought our way to the top in record time too, and makes our development more organic.

Also, from what Ashworth says about his job role, I don't expect him not being here (and unable to yell advice to us from his garden in Brighton...) to be very detrimental to us this summer. If it holds us back, it'll be more on the youth development, recruitment and training ground side. Which is a shame, but manageable.

28 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Apparently we’re trying to get Neil Bath and Jim Fraser from Chelsea. Never heard of them but apparently they’re the top two bods in their academy.

Can share your source for this please? Chelsea have one of best academies in the country poaching staff whilst they are in distress is excellent. 

googled and the source appears to be the Sun. 

Edited by r0cafella

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Apparently we’re trying to get Neil Bath and Jim Fraser from Chelsea. Never heard of them but apparently they’re the top two bods in their academy.

Sound like two attendees at the Partridge event with Sue Cook, who subsequently pulled out.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Im sure they were involved in setting up hubs here with various NE kids’ grassroots clubs to scout our best young talent.

Guest HTT II

Newcastle Blue Star and Newcastle City Juniors have affiliations with Chelsea and a few Mackem based grassroots clubs IIRC…

Edited by HTT II