Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Keggy_Keagal said:

Well he kept Jonny Evans and Jamie Vardy going so hopefully going to help sort out the myriad of problems here.

Was the fact they got relegated last year not in large part due to a horrific injury situation for much of the season? He'll fit right in here 😂

• 1 month later...

Can’t say I’m fond of this move but it was on the cards moment Ashworth left.

Newcastle United have made an alteration to their backroom department by promoting Andy Howe to assistant head of first-team recruitment. 

The nephew of Eddie Howe will now be number 2 to head of recruitment Steve Nickson having operated as head of technical scouting since the ex-AFC Bournemouth boss was appointed as Toon chief in 2021. The move comes swiftly after sporting director Dan Ashworth left the club on gardening leave last week.

It means that the former Plymouth Argyle scout will now have a bigger role in identifying key targets for the first-team and drops a hint that things are moving ahead of what will be a busy summer. It remains to be seen whether Nickson could potentially step up to a revamped sporting director role following the exit of Manchester United-bound Ashworth.

Really grates me that people are against it purely because he’s related to Howe. 

we know nothing about how good he is at his job, I’m fairly confident under this ownership that any role is handed out on ability rather than ‘because they are family’.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Maybe he's like good at his job and that.

Generally it's not a good idea to hire your relatives because you can't be objective. They may be great or may be terrible but either way you are not going to be objective.

6 hours ago, NWMag said:

Really grates me that people are against it purely because he’s related to Howe. 

we know nothing about how good he is at his job, I’m fairly confident under this ownership that any role is handed out on ability rather than ‘because they are family’.

Yes, KSA is a notoriously meritocratic place ;)