The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I interpreted that survey as 95% of the fans desperately wanted Ashley out, the Saudi bid was the only game in town. People were outside SJP on 7th October 2021 to celebrate Ashley going. Demand for tickets is as high as it is because Ashley is out and we're good again, not because the Saudis are here. IMO any new owner with ambition could've done what's happened at the club so far; we've spent within our means in terms of FFP.

I'm sorry, but you are in denial. Yeah, people celebrated the departure of Ashley. But more significantly, they celebrated the arrival of vast wealth. 

Demand for tickets is high because of what the Saudis are (hopefully) going to do for the club. It's also delusional to suggest that any owner could deliver the club & stadium infrastructure that the Saudis have planned.

Yes, Ashley could probably have delivered a similar season to the one we have just had. He could not have provided what is to come under the Saudis though. THAT is why people celebrated in 2021, and that is why the majority of the fanbase don't give a monkeys about the ownership either.

1 minute ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Maybe overtime we can positively change their perspective through the club ? 

I mean a women's team is one small step in the right direction.

The fact Amanda has such a positive presence another?

This is one of the things that has to be appreciated about them is that their ownership is very much in the back ground and the running of the club is not influenced in any way by how they conduct things in their country.

In fact the running of the club is essentially being done by Amanda and Mehrdad, as well as the Reubens, in the best way they see fit, and the owners just sign off on stuff so the funds get released.

They're not really looking to run the club top to bottom at all. Mostly just backing Amanda/Mehrdad and the Reubens with funds. 

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

I don't know anymore ... I think if people are not going to be able to deal with them wanting a kit in their countries colours (which is mostly being done to generate interest over there, and increase the clubs commercial income), or can't deal with them wanting their national team to play games at the club, then they shouldn't accept the ownership.

I think more should be done to go against the ownership in that case, because it's all too hypocritical in my opinion. You can't have them spend the money they did on the club and pour so much investment into the area and then rail against them anytime they do anything that draws attention to their country. Their never going to completely dumb down where they are from, it's just not going to happen. For the most part I think they are already very tempered in the way they conduct themselves but it will never be enough for some people.

Why not start a more aggressive movement to get them out then? Because ultimately i think too much is being asked of the ownership and it's really not realistic.

If the Newcastle fans wanted the Saudis out, they could have them out within a month, just by holding large public protests against the owners. I'm sure PIF could sell up now and more than make their money back.

But the vast majority of NUFC fans don't want them out. They are loving being fans of a club that is living and breathing again. That's not to say that there won't be plenty out there who aren't happy with being owned by a middle eastern investment fund though. They just don't represent the majority.

The media 'sell' news. Media reaction (and subsequently public reaction) to Newcastle's Saudi connection is considered a thousand times more public and important than the UK's massive sales of weapons to Saudi Arabia going back over a decade. How can you be outraged about Newcastle if you already knew about the context and were previously and still are silent about the far bigger direct issue? We (the UK) are the second biggest dealer of arms to the Saudis behind the US, which is a major source of revenue for our country. They're our biggest arms customer in the world in fact (and the second biggest is Qatar, not counting Ukraine). If you were totally ignorant and just get news from the BBC, then OK, but read more widely.

Just because the media put massively disproportionate outrage on Newcastle, it doesn't mean you can't form your own holistic view of the situation. We just spent an entire week talking about a tiny submarine that the US navy already believed had imploded while all manner of massive important news was relegated and barely noticed. Media outrage/reaction is not proportionate to the tragedies in the world, and the media couldn't care less. Just because they tell you to be outraged about one thing, you can still have nuanced ideas and think for yourself. We all know why there is massively disproportionate focus on us. We know why Arteta and Pep don't get the same questions Howe does. We know why financial 'fair' play exists and why UEFA coefficients exist. All components of a corrupt system and the Saudis are a symptom of that, because there is no way to compete without sourcing money from people who have money to burn.

33 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This is one of the things that has to be appreciated about them is that their ownership is very much in the back ground and the running of the club is not influenced in any way by how they conduct things in their country.

In fact the running of the club is essentially being done by Amanda and Mehrdad, as well as the Reubens, in the best way they see fit, and the owners just sign off on stuff so the funds get released.

They're not really looking to run the club top to bottom at all. Mostly just backing Amanda/Mehrdad and the Reubens with funds. 

They’re using the club as and when they see fit. They’re using the ground to host a friendly that is part of their obvious and ongoing sportswashing project.

I mean, we can get as teary eyed as we like at the Robson quote, but we are happily letting the club being used for the purposes of bolstering the Saudi regime.

You might not care, you might care but have opted to accept it (I suppose I’m in this camp, and it was a stance I was attacked for when it was Mike Ashley who owned them), but you can’t say they’re not doing something that they are blatantly doing. I honestly think that an official announcement on this game will be a dark day for Newcastle United. It’s a confirmation of a strategy that we are going to be unable to distract ourselves from for much longer- no matter how many wor flag displays or Sam Fender wearing toon shirts at his gigs. 

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

They’re using the club as and when they see fit. They’re using the ground to host a friendly that is part of their obvious and ongoing sportswashing project.

I mean, we can get as teary eyed as we like at the Robson quote, but we are happily letting the club being used for the purposes of bolstering the Saudi regime.

You might not care, you might care but have opted to accept it (I suppose I’m in this camp, and it was a stance I was attacked for when it was Mike Ashley who owned them), but you can’t say they’re not doing something that they are blatantly doing. I honestly think that an official announcement on this game will be a dark day for Newcastle United. It’s a confirmation of a strategy that we are going to be unable to distract ourselves from for much longer- no matter how many wor flag displays or Sam Fender wearing toon shirts at his gigs. 

I do worry about the Saudis with regards to the club's future. They're buying players off rival Premier League clubs at inflated prices, which isn't in our best interests at all. That's a massive red flag. We also have very powerful enemies, not because of the Saudis but because of the perceived threat in the league. You could argue there's no other way to challenge the established elite, but we haven't exactly crept up on them and the way it's happened has forced them to close ranks and try to set up more barriers. We are in a strong position but also a precarious position, because we don't know what our owners are doing and they're so rich that they could write off a loss and ditch us very quickly. No one would have any sympathy and the league would be under pressure to leave us to suffer the consequences.

1 minute ago, ohmelads said:

I do worry about the Saudis with regards to the club's future. They're buying players off rival Premier League clubs at inflated prices, which isn't in our best interests at all. That's a massive red flag. We also have very powerful enemies, not because of the Saudis but because of the perceived threat in the league. You could argue there's no other way to challenge the established elite, but we haven't exactly crept up on them and the way it's happened has forced them to close ranks and try to set up more barriers. We are in a strong position but also a precarious position, because we don't know what our owners are doing and they're so rich that they could write off a loss and ditch us very quickly. No one would have any sympathy and the league would be under pressure to leave us to suffer the consequences.

If the owners ditched us, that would open up the path for new more enlightened owners. At least that might give some supporters a feeling of relief.

3 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

I think his excellency made it quite clear we want to be number 1.

25 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

To be honest I think it's just a matter of time now before you'll have your club back, and all these middle east owners leave, because they are going to build up their own leagues and more top players are going to head over there from much earlier on in their careers.

The world worships money and they have a ton of it. They are eventually going to takeover the game completely.

Between the increasing issues with their ownership and the increasing issues clubs in Europe have with accommodating players from different backgrounds, I think a lot of players, particularly players from Africa and South America are going to head out there initially, and soon many more will follow.

Pffft lot of nonsense on here.

I love the new away kit. The owners obviously took inspiration from the colour of the Tyne bridge and have invited their friends over to see it in a kickabout.

kek.jpg.5d5c0a8d09026ab6e17ba6fcf3719d07.jpg

Eyes on the prize boys.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

I'm sorry, but you are in denial. Yeah, people celebrated the departure of Ashley. But more significantly, they celebrated the arrival of vast wealth. 

Demand for tickets is high because of what the Saudis are (hopefully) going to do for the club. It's also delusional to suggest that any owner could deliver the club & stadium infrastructure that the Saudis have planned.

Yes, Ashley could probably have delivered a similar season to the one we have just had. He could not have provided what is to come under the Saudis though. THAT is why people celebrated in 2021, and that is why the majority of the fanbase don't give a monkeys about the ownership either.

I didn't celebrate the arrival of new wealth.

The main issue is that football is fucked. Saudi ownership of NUFC has just made it more personal for me. I don’t enjoy football as I used to, party because I’m getting old but mostly because, well, it’s fucked. If I could push a button and destroy ”the system”, I would. Would be a shame because I love Howe and the team, but I absolutely would.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

Some won't like it, but deep down they must know that is true. It is going to be hard enough to break the hold of the Hallowed Six even with the Saudis desire to be top dog. Does anyone seriously think an American investment firm like Liverpool or Man U's owners would go that extra mile?

4 hours ago, mondonewc said:

This! 

No desire to defend the indefensible, but many people are sadly heavily influenced by Western media, and much of that media is extremely hypocritical and ignores many of the despicable things done by governments and countries in the West, including our own. 

Except you can criticise because you’re a human being who cares about what happens to other human beings.  Empathy and all that.

The ignorance of many is truly fucking frightening to me.  ‘KSA is no worse than anywhere else’.  There’s an easy test for this - go out onto the streets of London and start a protest against the government.  Then do the same in Riyadh.  I’d say come back and let me know the results, but the second one would see you executed. 

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

People only say this because it’s the Middle East countries who own football clubs.

If the U.K. government bought Man Utd, other than non-Man Utd fans, there would be no debate really.

You really think that the only people in the UK who’d have a problem with the govt buying a football club with £6bn of public money would be ‘other non Man U football fans’?

It would be everyone - including a good chunk of Man Utd fans.  It’s two-thirds of what the govt spends on housing, and there is a housing crisis.  ‘British govt buys Man Utd - nothing to see here’ is unlikely to be the headline nor the reaction. 

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

To be honest I think it's just a matter of time now before you'll have your club back, and all these middle east owners leave, because they are going to build up their own leagues and more top players are going to head over there from much earlier on in their careers.

The world worships money and they have a ton of it. They are eventually going to takeover the game completely.

Between the increasing issues with their ownership and the increasing issues clubs in Europe have with accommodating players from different backgrounds, I think a lot of players, particularly players from Africa and South America are going to head out there initially, and soon many more will follow.

I’m ok with that, tbf.  I don’t follow Newcastle because of the players who play - it’s because I’m from Newcastle.  I was there watching football in the old second division which was unimaginably poor compared to what you’ll see today. Football is tribal; it isn’t about quality. 

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m ok with that, tbf.  I don’t follow Newcastle because of the players who play - it’s because I’m from Newcastle.  I was there watching football in the old second division which was unimaginably poor compared to what you’ll see today. Football is tribal; it isn’t about quality. 

Yeah, I think it's probably for the best for English football as I think most of you feel this way. It's part of the reason I don't think black players should play for England because I think deep down you guys don't really want it, but just aren't being honest about that.

I think things are getting so divisive now we'll eventually see most players of African origin in the Saudi/Middle Eastern leagues leagues and Europe will go back to having mostly Caucasian players.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I think it's probably for the best for English football as I think most of you feel this way. It's part of the reason I don't think black players should play for England because I think deep down you guys don't really want it, but just aren't being honest about that.

I think things are getting so divisive now we'll eventually see most players of African origin in the Saudi/Middle Eastern leagues leagues and Europe will go back to having mostly Caucasian players.

Sorry, did you just accuse me of being a racist because I’m not bothered about dictatorships plowing money into English football?  

Get fucked, you fucking prick

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What the actual fuck?

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Wow. Kaka goes full kaka :lol: