The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

6 hours ago, Consortium of one said:

Looking back, one could say that the takeover was inevitable.  The vast amount of money in PIF was always going to be a weight hanging over a lot of heads.  I mean, that's the way world works unfortunately.  Money always gets what it wants; if not immediately then in the very near future.  Money beats popular opinion.  Money beats common sense.  Money beats justice and on and on.

This. Its better us than anybody else.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wish I'd catalogued all of the "i'd 100% walk away from the sport if that happened to us" puffed-chest declarations from their lot commenting on us, just to see if they really have the courage of their convictions.

2 hours ago, thomas said:

wish I'd catalogued all of the "i'd 100% walk away from the sport if that happened to us" puffed-chest declarations from their lot commenting on us, just to see if they really have the courage of their convictions.

Some incredible mental gymnastics on display soon. In excited.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Newcastle United are in talks to host a friendly involving the Saudi Arabia national side this year in the latest sign of the growing ties between the club and the kingdom.

The Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) owns 80 per cent of the Magpies, who have consolidated links with the country by travelling for several mid-season training camps and recently secured a record shirt sponsorship deal with the PIF-owned entertainment company Sela.

Now the national team look set to play a fixture against Mexico at St James’ Park, with Newcastle officials in advanced talks with both federations.

A date of 12 September has been pencilled in for the match, which would be the first of two that Mexico are due to play in England later this year.

The match is yet to be agreed but Newcastle sources confirmed to i it is a “possibility” and that talks are ongoing.

The Football Association would also have to grant permission for the game to be played but that is not anticipated to be an issue given that other national sides have played on English soil recently.

Newcastle unveiled Sela as their main shirt sponsor earlier this month and the club’s chief commercial officer Peter Silverstone confirmed their aim is to be the best-supported Premier League side in Saudi Arabia.

Newcastle have also unveiled a green change strip for next season that bears a striking resemblance to the Saudi national side’s away kit.

The kit, made by sportswear brand Castore, is described as “golf green” online and follows on from last season’s white and green strip. That sold well in the kingdom.

Saudi Arabia are ranked 54th in the world but sprung a huge shock during the Qatar World Cup by beating Argentina. The country has aspirations to become a global power in the sport, is eyeing a bid for the 2030 World Cup and is intent on growing its domestic league.

PIF cited its management of Newcastle when announcing plans to revolutionise the Saudi Pro League by taking control of the four biggest clubs in the league and sanctioning an extensive and expensive recruitment drive.

Really don't like it at all. Hope protests are arranged (not necessarily just by NUFC fans) if it does happen. 

Also really hate to think that there'll be NUFC fans going along to support the Kindgom of Saudi Arabia, ffs.

Edited by Smal

At this point an increasing number of footballers are moving over there to play for their clubs on lucrative deals. 

And so at this rate I wouldn't worry too much about being associated with the region at all. It's clear to see where this is heading.

It's only a matter of time before their league is number 1 and has all the best players, and then I imagine they'll sell up all the clubs they are involved with in the west.

To be fair it will not be the first non England friendlies played in the UK.

Mostly played in London in smaller grounds (QPR springs to mind) but this does come with added grief in my eyes.

Plus will Mexico have the pull of a crowd as say a Brazil with a couple of our players playing.