The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

I was really gutted by liverpool for teh record but i do have a little fear creeping in. I don;t like the ownership, well on record, have been trying to just enjoy but a little bit of me does really worry that the most fun we will ever have was last season, bit of an underdog feel still, likeable players, lots of goals punching above our weight. I kinda dread us becoming a super slick mega club and all teh players being mainly interested in their instagram followers and own 'brand' and then us all raging about losing the odd game and finishing second. I still just want to enjoy not having to worry about relegation and giving games a good go, i don;t want to be that furious fan of a top 4 club that is really angry that they only reached 1 final or something...and that;s before the concerns about an ownership that wants to execute me if i lived in their country, i do worry that last season was maybe the best it will be and by the time we win the league i will be numb to it...

Again, can relate massively. Really well put.

I can massively relate to the last few about how bad Liverpool hurt me. Surrounded by their fans on holiday I honestly almost slid off my seat gutted. Michael smith actually apologised about it, nice guy. As much as I can't put a penny into the club any more than I did Ashley I apparently can't separate myself from the 90 mins at all

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Liverpool had me shivering, rocking back and forth and wishing the takeover had never happened, like. 

It’s still living rent free in my head. 

No danger of me kicking off about not finishing in the top 4 yet, still go into most games expecting to get beat. 

8 hours ago, Chapo said:

I’d never preach to anyone about this but personally the whole ownership situation has really taken the shine of football for me. I only realised it this season when Liverpool equalised, I didn’t really care whereas previously that would’ve put me in the shit for days. The other night watching the team line up in the Champions League just didn’t do anything for me at all which kills me. 

I’ll still watch out games and hope we win but it’s just not that important to me anymore. Happy for those that can enjoy it fully, I’m jealous. 

Each to their own, but I'm fucking miles away from that.

Under Ashley, now that was 'not caring' when the opposition equalised. I'd shrug, maybe even laugh. A few times I even bloody cheered. Cheered my own team conceding, that's what he drove me to. I'll never forgive that.

I was livid when Liverpool beat us this season. Properly threw my toys out the pram, and refused to even engage with any football-related content for days. And much though it hurt, you know what? I'll take that hurt any day of the week compared to how I felt under almost all of Ashley's tenure, where I was feeling almost nothing for a team I've followed since I was old enough to kick a ball.

I got over the Liverpool game in a few days, and got back to hoping again. Under Ashley, that unbearable feeling of apathy gnawed away at my soul, every day for over a decade.

I still get really upset when i think about that Liverpool game, this week i heard that Klopp said something in the lines of it being the most sanctifying win of his career and it just amplified the feeling, I remember not too far back with Ashley and Bruce in charge i had no problem skipping a game in favor of doing something else and would quickly move on after a shit performance. Now i would cancel any plan/meeting if it conflicts with one of our games.

And also, with the takeover and the success that came with it also brought back some really fond memories, i went to sleep on Tuesday feeling so happy that i got to witness our boys in the Champions League again, something about it reminded me of 13 year old me staying up and watching Shearer and the boys in our last champions league campaign, Bellamy's goal against Feynoord was the goal i celebrated the most in my life and at some point during Ashley i thought i'll never get to re-live those days. i think with getting older and having kids and other priorities you try not to invest too much emotional energy in football but i must admit it got a lot harder after the takeover.

Edited by Newcastle Fan

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Under Ashley, now that was 'not caring' when the opposition equalised. I'd shrug, maybe even laugh. A few times I even bloody cheered. Cheered my own team conceding, that's what he drove me to. I'll never forgive that.

I was livid when Liverpool beat us this season. Properly threw my toys out the pram, and refused to even engage with any football-related content for days. And much though it hurt, you know what? I'll take that hurt any day of the week compared to how I felt under almost all of Ashley's tenure, where I was feeling almost nothing for a team I've followed since I was old enough to kick a ball.

I got over the Liverpool game in a few days, and got back to hoping again. Under Ashley, that unbearable feeling of apathy gnawed away at my soul, every day for over a decade.

100% this.

As for Liverpool, I am done with wasting energy on craving revenge on them. I didn't post for two days after that game, but it's behind me now, and I won't stress about getting something at Anfield either. We just aren't good enough yet, and that's ok. We have fallen into the trap of wanting everything yesterday. We don't really have any right tbh.

Football just isn’t as good now as it was. I think in part it’s because of the likes of Chelsea, Man City, PSG and now us. But the monopolisation by certain clubs and certain leagues( mostly the Premier League) has killed the game.

you can’t even have a talented 14 year old in your academy nowadays with out bigger clubs sniffing around. It’s probably good for a players development to be around the best facilities and coaches, but it shite for fans of smaller clubs to not even be able to see a talented young player come through.

Also the Hall revolution was something we did for our selves. This one is something being done to us.

28 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Football just isn’t as good now as it was. I think in part it’s because of the likes of Chelsea, Man City, PSG and now us. But the monopolisation by certain clubs and certain leagues( mostly the Premier League) has killed the game.

you can’t even have a talented 14 year old in your academy nowadays with out bigger clubs sniffing around. It’s probably good for a players development to be around the best facilities and coaches, but it shite for fans of smaller clubs to not even be able to see a talented young player come through.

Also the Hall revolution was something we did for our selves. This one is something being done to us.

Would you rather it was done to Sunderland?

Edited by TRon

It's definitely tainted for me, but I am largely able to put it to the back of my mind. I'm not as buzzed about things as I was during the Bobby days. Part of that is the geopolitical game our team is part of, but it's also just that we're mega-rich and that silverware seems an eventual certainty now unless something goes badly wrong (last season was partly great as we reached heights well before expected). That kills some romance. And actually for me the biggest thing is that we're in the VAR era - the single worst thing to happen to my experience of football.  Then there's just the personal aspect of me not being able to go to the games now like I did then.

But having said all that, I still care loads - I was desperate to win that League Cup.

Edited by Superior Acuña

12 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

From relegation certainty to Champions League in less than two years. Improvements to SJP, training ground, player salaries, uniforms, etc. If only some American jackass has bought the club like Todd Boehly or the Glazers. 

It’s not either / or.  

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

I never cheered NUFC conceding a goal nor losing, irrespective of the owners.  Not sure what that would gain. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I never cheered NUFC conceding a goal nor losing, irrespective of the owners.  Not sure what that would gain. 

Was worth it during the late Pardew-era. Rather we lost than having to see that charlatan ever smiling.

Edited by Pata

3 hours ago, Tiresias said:

,and that;s before the concerns about an ownership that wants to execute me if i lived in their country, i do worry that last season was maybe the best it will be and by the time we win the league i will be numb to it...

That’s the bit which is somehow lost on so many.  Look at those fucking doylems like that thick cunt from ‘Tyneside Life’ having a go at the protest before the KSA game at SJP’.  ‘Ah divvunt judge otha people in their cuntrees’.  You might do if you thought about it for a nanosecond. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, not for me.  No matter how much I disliked Pardew and hated Ashley, cheering an NUFC defeat wasn’t on the agenda.  For starters, how would that help?

You clearly weren't here during that time. Losing usually helps with wanting to get rid of the manager. Full on apathy only set in after Rafa's small sparkle of hope was gone and we were stuck with Bruce.

Edited by Pata

29 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, not for me.  No matter how much I disliked Pardew and hated Ashley, cheering an NUFC defeat wasn’t on the agenda.  For starters, how would that help?

It wasn't a strategic or deliberate action; I just took satisfaction in seeing Sports Direct FC losing. NUFC didn't exist. 

14 minutes ago, madras said:

Does that mean we are now PIF FC ?

I don't think the club is defined by its owners at the moment, no. It was when Ashley was here; it was every bit a reflection of him. As I see it, our current owners have just unshackled us from that and allowed us to re-enter the football world.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

You clearly weren't here during that time. Losing usually helps with wanting to get rid of the manager. Full on apathy only set in after Rafa's small sparkle of hope was gone and we were stuck with Bruce.

I was born in Newcastle in 1982.  I’ve supported the club since my dad first took me when I was five.  Trust me, I remember it well enough. 

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Nicely summarised.