The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

7 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Does anyone celebrate any less after we’ve scored and at the final whistle? I knew very little about Saudi Arabia’s human rights record before Ashley sold up and I know the exact same amount now.I don’t do politics.

Lots of people do, and are concerned about the ownership and its implications. And as such they are attempting to educate people like you who don’t know about what exactly we are in bed with here. You’re bothered or you’re not but they are fully entitled to help people understand. 

11 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Lots of people do, and are concerned about the ownership and its implications. And as such they are attempting to educate people like you who don’t know about what exactly we are in bed with here. You’re bothered or you’re not but they are fully entitled to help people understand. 

I remember in the 70s and 80s when thiusands of people of all professions and trades went to work in Saudi Arabia to facilitate the construction of the infrastucture fot the state as welll as working in the hospitals etc! Lots of people made a very good living then! Was that acceptable? 

18 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Education is good but I don’t really get the point? Educate me on something I can relate to and impact by all means but what exactly do I do? Can I vote or make a donation or something? 

7 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Does anyone celebrate any less after we’ve scored and at the final whistle? I knew very little about Saudi Arabia’s human rights record before Ashley sold up and I know the exact same amount now.I don’t do politics.

My interest in football has certainly been impacted by recent developments. Factors like decreasing fan access, the accelerated capitalisation of the game and state ownership, to name a few, have contributed. The PIF ownership of Newcastle United is a symptom not a cause.

As fans, we have absolutely no say in who we're owned by, but I have no issue with those who wish to educate and raise awareness regarding KSA and their human rights abuses.

I'll always be conflicted. I've supported the club since I was a boy and don't really know any different, but at the same time it's depressing that it has taken ownership via a sovereign wealth fund for us to become competitive again.

I'm a hypocrite because despite my complaining, I'll still watch and support. Even if my support is no where near as strong as it once was.

26 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

As he is to live in perfect ignorance if he so chooses 

5 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Education is good but I don’t really get the point? Educate me on something I can relate to and impact by all means but what exactly do I do? Can I vote or make a donation or something? 

Well there is no point outside of your first three words, I suppose. Education is good.

25 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

I thought they'd had to legally prove separation from the State before the PL would allow them to pass the owners and directors test?

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

In that case where is the problem? PIF are an investment group, the Reubens have been involved in the city of Newcastle for years and Amanda and Mehrdad are simply wonderful people.

Fo me there is no problem, if we were owned by the Saudi state then fair enough there would obviously be some misgivings on my behalf, however as we stand were owned by an investment group including as you correctly elude to the Reuben's, Amanda et al, but lets not get he facts get in the way of a story eh. Cant stand it when people try to force theyre opinion down others throats, not one word written on any forum wil lever change things however strongly we feel about whatever the situation is.

Hey ho im just enjoying the ride & whats to come 

4 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I thought they'd had to legally prove separation from the State before the PL would allow them to pass the owners and directors test?

PIF are the sovereign wealth fund of KSA. 

It's a subjective moral dilemma, so it'll naturally divide the fan base. That's why a healthy discourse is decent, but instead it's already become very tribal. There's no getting away from our association with KSA, but everyone will feel differently about it. 

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

PIF are the sovereign wealth fund of KSA. 

It's a subjective moral dilemma, so it'll naturally divide the fan base. That's why a healthy discourse is decent, but instead it's already become very tribal. There's no getting away from our association with KSA, but everyone will feel differently about it. 

Tbh in the real world I'm yet to speak to a Newcastle United supporter (friends, workmates, family members etc) who isn't absolutely ecstatic with our new owners so I don't think there is a natural divide as such here.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tbh in the real world I'm yet to speak to a Newcastle United supporter (friends, workmates, family members etc) who isn't absolutely ecstatic with our new owners so I don't think there is a natural divide as such here.

There is no divide in the real world mate just with a few conflicted individuals who want to weigh us all down with their moral dilemmas.

As for being educated what a load of patronising shite, I’m fully aware of what goes on over there and don’t need some condescending souls taking the moral high ground preaching to me when I go to the match.

They don’t want to educate anyone they want the Saudis out of the club, try squaring that off with Tyneside at the minute. Everyone has the right to protest but when fans openly voted in favour of these owners, don’t expect a free ride when your aim is to kick them out. The world is full of protests and counter protests, those of us who fully back PIF’s involvement have every right to question the motives of these individuals and what they are hoping to achieve, which is far more than simply raising awareness as some claim on here.

Edited by Whitley mag

17 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

There is no divide in the real world mate just with a few conflicted individuals who want to weigh us all down with their moral dilemmas.

As for being educated what a load of patronising shite, I’m fully aware of what goes on over there and don’t need some condescending souls taking the moral high ground preaching to me when I go to the match.

They don’t want to educate anyone they want the Saudis out of the club, try squaring that off with Tyneside at the minute. Everyone has the right to protest but when fans openly voted in favour of these owners, don’t expect a free ride when your aim is to kick them out. The world is full of protests and counter protests, those of us who fully back PIF’s involvement have every right to question the motives of these individuals and what they are hoping to achieve, which is far more than simply raising awareness as some claim on here.

Excellent, well written.

39 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

That's the distinction, like. If they are agitating to remove PIF they can expect to face some hostilities in turn from some quarters, whatever their motives. 

Personally, I think the practical separation between the political and social formation of SA (with all of it's cultural complexities, contradictions and directions of travel for the future) and NUFC on a matchday is so huge it's hard to see what such a protest is really hoping or expecting to achieve. 

Edited by Barnes23

18 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I wonder if the anti-PIF crowd are also righteous enough to never buy any goods made in China, use any Russian gas or fill their cars with middle eastern petrol.

No, thought not. Hidden agenda bell ends.

A perfect example of unhelpful, tribal nonsense.

3 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Me tbh. I was just saying last week that I'm maxing out at about 75%. I know somethings still missing, part of it's the damage done by Ashley, part of it's our owners.

Not everyone's the same.

It’s ok for the West to send troops over to middle east and invade countries causing death of thousands citizens , but it’s not ok for the middle east country to send money over to UK investing football club.

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

I think in some ways the forum is more akin to the real world tbh. Or at least it has a wider spread of views evenif they'renot all equallyrepresentative of a majority. All of us on here have our own bubbles, but it's on here that we talk to other fans from other bubbles.