The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

4 hours ago, TRon said:

So when you say fuck them, does that mean just fuck them as a regime, or that you will also stop supporting NUFC because they are now owners?

I assume he means - just fuck them. He supports Newcastle United. He cares about the interests of NUFC. He hold no personal warmth for them nor feels a need to protect all of their decisions.

That's how I feel at least. I sense a lot of people dislike criticism of the regime's management like it's a criticism of NUFC as an entity. From what i've seen - any criticism is very light too (in terms of transfer strategy or performance) but the defence league won't have a peep of it.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I assume he means - just fuck them. He supports Newcastle United. He cares about the interests of NUFC. He hold no personal warmth for them nor feels a need to protect all of their decisions.

That's how I feel at least. I sense a lot of people dislike criticism of the regime's management like it's a criticism of NUFC as an entity. From what i've seen - any criticism is very light too (in terms of transfer strategy or performance) but the defence league won't have a peep of it.

I think it's easier if we just agree to separate the Saudi regime from PIF. Otherwise tacitly you are saying NUFC is effectively their club and represents their values, which I am sure it does not.

28 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Exactly this. 

44 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think it's easier if we just agree to separate the Saudi regime from PIF. Otherwise tacitly you are saying NUFC is effectively their club and represents their values, which I am sure it does not.

Separate the Saudi state public investment fund from the Saudi regime. Aye

9 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

i try to keep MAManda and MehrDAD separate from the rest. I acknowledge it's a version of burying your head in the sand, but I'm not giving up a life long connection.

The Tory donors? The people that found these investors? 

I don’t have to like any of them to support Newcastle United. NUFC will be here long after these are the owners and management. And hopefully so will I.  

From a sporting perspective they’ve given me something to have interest and passion for. But the rest? Fuck them.  

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, The College Dropout said:

The Tory donors? The people that found these investors? 

I don’t have to like any of them to support Newcastle United. NUFC will be here long after these are the owners and management. And hopefully so will I.  

Sorry, can't hear you. Got sand in my ears.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Even if we were owned by Ben and Jerry’s. It’s still fuck them. I dont have personal feelings for business people pursuing business goals unless it has a wider benefit. But at least they seem like decent people. Ben and Jerry that is. Not Staveley and co. 

Well yeah, of course. You only judge them through what they do for the club. So far the Reuben[s?] have kept a low profile and looked quite disinterested the times he put his head above the parapet. 

But MAM & DAD have, so far, embraced the club, the fans, the city, everything. Beyond that is way beyond my influence.

31 minutes ago, triggs said:

Separate the Saudi state public investment fund from the Saudi regime. Aye

You only need to separate NUFC from the Saudi regime. If you can, like TCD then fabulous. If you can't then would be tough to support the club.

It really baffles me that people think you support an owner when you support a club. Fans of this club should know Sir Bobby's definition of a club and that holds true still. I remain conflicted over where the money is coming from but that is true of a lot of things and I am living with it. 

Why are people so determined to live in a black and white world (the irony)

I'm OK with loving the investment into club and city....AND hating some of the regime atrocities. It doesn't have to be one vs the other

P.s. Almost all "big money" is evil

Edited by arnonel

Well, with Bloomberg reporting that Man Utd's owners could be ready to sell their majority ownership, if money really wasn't an object for the Saudis what's the chances they could bin us off this early in the project and jump in for a more established club with a richer recent trophy history, better FFP allowances and higher world renown... might be just what the doctor ordered for our fans that can't live with Saudi ownership, maybe Fat Mike would offer them an escape route.

... personally, I'd like to think it's not something that PIF would do, but according to some they are linked to evil incarnate after all.

(For the record, before some people wet themselves, I'm not suggesting the Saudis are fluffy bunnies or anything like - me personally, I don't give a monkey's either way, but I'm like that, I can't help it).

Edited by Armchair Pundit

7 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Well, with Bloomberg reporting that Man Utd's owners could be ready to sell their majority ownership, if money really wasn't an object for the Saudis what's the chances they could bin us off this early in the project and jump in for a more established club with a richer recent trophy history, better FFP allowances and higher world renown... might be just what the doctor ordered for our fans that can't live with Saudi ownership, maybe Fat Mike would offer them an escape route.

... personally, I'd like to think it's not something that PIF would do, but according to some they are linked to evil incarnate after all.

(For the record, before some people wet themselves, I'm not suggesting the Saudis are fluffy bunnies or anything like - me personally, I don't give a monkey's either way, but I'm like that, I can't help it).

I'm just glad Eddie Howe and Dan Ashworth aren't as sniffy as some of our fans. Love how Eddie handles questions about it. What goes on over in Saudi is nothing to do with him, and it's nothing to do with the fans. If people want to hate on the club because of that - fuck them.

Things can always change but where I sit with it right now is that I really don’t believe the club will turn out to be a plaything for MBS, it’s going to be run well and built up and there will always be the potential that PIF could sell up for a massive bid at some point in the future.

But yes, the alternative is a murky place.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

It’s not in their culture, I’ve said this before as I have friends who originate from SA and them buying Man Utd for example and having success with them would be deemed just buying into success, they want to make their own mark and create their own success. I know we don’t like Souness but he summed it up well in a talk sport interview the other day, SA do not and never will play second fiddle to anyone. Making NUFC a success will be seen as huge in their culture and showcases what they are all about or what they think they are all about or want to be seen as.

Edited by HTT II

A bit of an odd time to seek minority investment for Man Utd from a pure investment point of view, given their stocks have been dropping. Also, that the club now need to spend a fortune to keep up with the very top.

So maybe it's just a distraction technique by their owners, given all the unrest right now since they have lost two whole games and Ronoldmando is in a sulk.

I'd be very surprised if PIF were to have any interest in being a minority shareholder, unless it's mainly a way to encourage someone like them, Dr Evil or maybe Qatar to get a toe in the door.

So, come on Big Mike, it's time to cash in the wallpaper and make that dream Ashley / Glazer combo come true instead.

1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Yeah. secretly they love nothing more than sprucing up dilapidated stadia, everything else is just a cunning ruse to facilitate their fetish.

The takeover was a legal business transaction, so our take on Saudi (majority) ownership from a moral perspective is simply a personal decision on what we feel comfortable. I may not share someone’s views, but I won’t judge someone for being more or less comfortable with it than I am as it’s subjective and doesn’t change what it means to be a fan of the club. 

That’s partly why I dislike it when groups like AI try to interfere on the grounds of sportswashing. They’re well within their rights to not like it, but they shouldn’t prevent a club and region from positive change due to their personal feelings towards the buyers. Sportswashing is not an objective legal issue and neither is it a human rights issue in my view - instead channel your energy into the shocking human rights abuses (by all means do), not trying to stop legitimate business transactions that can have many positive outcomes and are similar in nature to many others that have been permitted. 

Edited by St. Maximin