The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Just now, teohgk said:

It’s ok for the West to send troops over to middle east and invade countries causing death of thousands citizens , but it’s not ok for the middle east country to send money over to UK investing football club.

Nah it's not ok for the west to do that. I'd be surprised if anyone on here has the view you've come up with there like.

27 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I wonder if the anti-PIF crowd are also righteous enough to never buy any goods made in China, use any Russian gas or fill their cars with middle eastern petrol.

No, thought not. Hidden agenda bell ends.

Or use Facebook,watch a Disney film or go on holiday in a Boeing aircraft.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I think in some ways the forum is more akin to the real world tbh. Or at least it has a wider spread of views evenif they'renot all equallyrepresentative of a majority. All of us on here have our own bubbles, but it's on here that we talk to other fans from other bubbles.

I'd disagree with that tbh. Social media, whether that's Twitter, Facebook, forums or whatever tend to have a high proportion of weirdos! A perfect example is RTG. I can guarantee that your average Sunderland fan isn't like that [emoji38] Real life is real life however. You go in any pub before the match next Wednesday or next Saturday and I guarantee you'd struggle to find anyone unhappy with our owners.

As I say I'm yet to have a real life conversation with anyone who isn't happy with our ownership model. 

29 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I wonder if the anti-PIF crowd are also righteous enough to never buy any goods made in China, use any Russian gas or fill their cars with middle eastern petrol.

No, thought not. Hidden agenda bell ends.

'You take part in society so you can't suggest we should make it better' is a terrible point like. No idea why people continue to waste their time on that one.

7 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'd disagree with that tbh. Social media, whether that's Twitter, Facebook, forums or whatever tend to have a high proportion of weirdos! A perfect example is RTG. I can guarantee that your average Sunderland fan isn't like that [emoji38] Real life is real life however. You go in any pub before the match next Wednesday or next Saturday and I guarantee you'd struggle to find anyone unhappy with our owners.

As I say I'm yet to have a real life conversation with anyone who isn't happy with our ownership model. 

Aye, but the point is that my real life and your real life aren't the same. It reads like you're saying real life is the majority alone and no one else, I'm just saying the minority against the owners make up a proportion of that real life.

As far as online communities go, N-O isn't too bad for weirdos compared to Twitter or RTG like you say.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Being wilfully blind is still being blind to something. 

If PIF ran the club like Mike Ashley I think the opposition to their involvement would be more prominent. 

Totally. And by the same token if they ran the club like Mike Ashley all these Sunderland fans screaming "hewman rights" and "Yemen" wouldn't actually care less about any of that. That's how it works.

It's also making the point that Newcastle United ranks alongside petrol, Disney, etc and is essentially a product rather than, as you know, something that means much more to us than that.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye, but the point is that my real life and your real life aren't the same. You're saying real life is the majority alone and no one else, I'm just saying the minority against the owners make up a proportion of that real life.

As far as online communities go, N-O isn't too bad for compared to Twitter or RTG like you say.

Real life is real life though. Your friends, your family, your mates, the bloke in the pub, that's real. You know exactly who you're talking to.

Social media you don't really have a clue. You've got Sunderland fans pretending to be Newcastle fans (and vice versa) and people are basically just hiding behind a username.

3 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Real life is real life though. Your friends, your family, your mates, the bloke in the pub, that's real. You know exactly who you're talking to.

Social media you don't really have a clue. You've got Sunderland fans pretending to be Newcastle fans (and vice versa) and people are basically just hiding behind a username.

That's true like, but personally I've met most of the regulars on here so it's not as much of an issue. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I don't mind people having issues just so long, as pointed out previously, its consistent. You cant reasonably be hopping mad and obsessed in some cases with this one piece of Saudi investment and be much milder to not caring at all about other investments from them and countries with similar charges against them.

That's what gets up people noses.

Personally I don't feel any different about things now as before. I don't approve of their and many other countries practices and wish they'd change but wasn't at activist levels so there's no contradiction.

Who boycotted the last World cup because of Putin's nuclear murders in our own country for example.

Edited by Wolfcastle

8 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Totally. And by the same token if they ran the club like Mike Ashley all these Sunderland fans screaming "hewman rights" and "Yemen" wouldn't actually care less about any of that. That's how it works.

FWIW as much as I'd rather not have our owners and respect anyone wasting their time and energy trying to do something about it from a moral perspective, the Mackems who use Yemeni kids as a political football because their objection essentially boils down to it being because it's us potentially becoming successful is genuinely disgusting.

Delaney and plenty of the other like-for-like "thee not me" bellends can get fucked as well.

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

There is no divide in the real world mate just with a few conflicted individuals who want to weigh us all down with their moral dilemmas.

As for being educated what a load of patronising shite, I’m fully aware of what goes on over there and don’t need some condescending souls taking the moral high ground preaching to me when I go to the match.

They don’t want to educate anyone they want the Saudis out of the club, try squaring that off with Tyneside at the minute. Everyone has the right to protest but when fans openly voted in favour of these owners, don’t expect a free ride when your aim is to kick them out. The world is full of protests and counter protests, those of us who fully back PIF’s involvement have every right to question the motives of these individuals and what they are hoping to achieve, which is far more than simply raising awareness as some claim on here.

Your use of "patronising" is ironic, given your flippant views towards others' moral and world views.

Certain fans may want PIF out of the club, others may be merely uncomfortable with a state instrument owning us. Others may be perfectly happy with the ownership. Everyone is different and there's no right or wrong answer. It's more productive to have the discussion than turn fans against one another.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Your use of "patronising" is ironic, given your flippant views towards others' moral and world views.

Certain fans may want PIF out of the club, others may be merely uncomfortable with a state instrument owning us. Others may be perfectly happy with the ownership. Everyone is different and there's no right or wrong answer. It's more productive to have the discussion than turn fans against one another.

Hold on this group have said they want PIF out of the club not that they want to engage the owners in any discussion, my stance is simple i oppose that completely.

They are fully entitled to have the moral and world views they like, however I’m not the one going on about educating other people, which is very patronising in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

There is no divide in the real world mate just with a few conflicted individuals who want to weigh us all down with their moral dilemmas.

As for being educated what a load of patronising shite, I’m fully aware of what goes on over there and don’t need some condescending souls taking the moral high ground preaching to me when I go to the match.

They don’t want to educate anyone they want the Saudis out of the club, try squaring that off with Tyneside at the minute. Everyone has the right to protest but when fans openly voted in favour of these owners, don’t expect a free ride when your aim is to kick them out. The world is full of protests and counter protests, those of us who fully back PIF’s involvement have every right to question the motives of these individuals and what they are hoping to achieve, which is far more than simply raising awareness as some claim on here.

:clap:

Especially the "they want the Saudis out of the club" line. That's the end goal, i belive for this "group" of "fans". 

And I never meet fans that dont celebrate the takeover too.

Some (these protesting fans, other fans etc) want the Saudis out of the club because they don't want state ownership in football, which is an idea I agree with. State ownership or financial arms of states should not own football clubs, but if they forced the Saudis to sell a la Chelsea then they'd have to force the Emiratis out of Man City also. But that won't change because football has become evermore fucked in more ways than one since 1992 so that this is an issue but we're just happening to benefit from it which is hard to hold against us given the previous 14 years.

Defending or deflecting from Saudi on social media though I'll never get on board with. That 'we should improve society somewhat' meme fits perfectly to that.

I do however find the sanctimonious nature of people who purely use KSA's record etc as a stick to hit NUFC fans with, Eddie Howe with a tad reprehensible though. That French journalist (can't remember his name) who recently had responded to Howe talking about how he'd rather not harangue officials on the touchline by making it a dig about the owners; our fans get accused of 'whataboutery' quite a lot but that's one of the biggest examples of it I've seen. Delaney is a wanker but he's been consistent and overrall is actually a decent journalist (I recommend his recent piece about Osasuna, good read). Holt is a cunt given the way he's gone on despite his past statements about Hearn & Joshua and state money. Panja lost quite a bit of credibility after he conveniently 'ran out of time' to ask Kylian Mbappe, the face of Qatari owned PSG and the Qatar World Cup, questions about human rights issues which he's consistantly thrown at us and Howe. Lastly, the mackems? Pffft. It's only because its us. If in the near future we're competing with Man City for the title and Man City pipped us to it they'd absolutely revel in it. If we won it though they'd go on and on about KSA and how much of a disgrace we are etc. This is in addition to when in 2012 they celebrated Man City's first title at the Stadium of Shite to wind up Man Utd fans in the away end. Guess UAE human rights problems don't means as much as the ones in KSA over in Sunderland.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

32 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Yes I agree everyone is different. But let be honest for a moment, the fans whot want PIF out from the club and uncomfortable that PIF (not the Saudi state)owned us is very small (almost non-existant that I never met one in real life) compared to those that happy and celebrate the takeover.

Edited by Johnny

2 hours ago, teohgk said:

It’s ok for the West to send troops over to middle east and invade countries causing death of thousands citizens , but it’s not ok for the middle east country to send money over to UK investing football club.

It’s not okay, though, and I doubt the protesters think it is.

9 minutes ago, Johnny said:

:clap:

Especially the "they want the Saudis out of the club" line. That's the end goal, i belive for this "group" of "fans". 

And I never meet fans that dont celebrate the takeover too.

Hang on though you can:

Be a fan of Newcastle United 

Be delighted that Mike Ashley has sold the club 

Not want our majority owners to be the sovereign wealth fund of a nation who routinely abuses human rights 

It's not a straightforward issue and it's why some are conflicted.

26 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Newcastle fans didn't 'vote in favour of these owners' they voted in favour of a takeover of these owners FROM Mike Ashley. Big difference 

Come on who’s being John Everyman now ? The vote was clearly in relation to PIF taking over -

‘Our member survey on the matter received almost 3,400 responses and this represents a significant number of Newcastle United fans.

The headline figure is a massive 96.7% of those members surveyed have reported they’re in favour of the reported takeover by Amanda Staveley, the Rueben Brothers and the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia’.