The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

47 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

The takeover was a legal business transaction, so our take on Saudi (majority) ownership from a moral perspective is simply a personal decision on what we feel comfortable. I may not share someone’s views, but I won’t judge someone for being more or less comfortable with it than I am as it’s subjective and doesn’t change what it means to be a fan of the club. 

That’s partly why I dislike it when groups like AI try to interfere on the grounds of sportswashing. They’re well within their rights to not like it, but they shouldn’t prevent a club and region from positive change due to their personal feelings towards the buyers. Sportswashing is not an objective legal issue and neither is it a human rights issue in my view - instead channel your energy into the shocking human rights abuses (by all means do), not trying to stop legitimate business transactions that can have many positive outcomes and are similar in nature to many others that have been permitted. 

I don't think AI view it as preventing the football club from doing anything.

Supporting Newcastle under Saudi ownership is a personal choice, just like it was under Ashley, everyone follows there team for personal reasons.

The whole point of living free in a democracy is your ability to do that, other people should not judge you because of a multinational company with investments in hundreds of companies you use every day purchasing your club.

14 hours ago, HTT II said:

It’s not in their culture, I’ve said this before as I have friends who originate from SA and them buying Man Utd for example and having success with them would be deemed just buying into success, they want to make their own mark and create their own success. I know we don’t like Souness but he summed it up well in a talk sport interview the other day, SA do not and never will play second fiddle to anyone. Making NUFC a success will be seen as huge in their culture and showcases what they are all about or what they think they are all about or want to be seen as.

Sorry mate but that’s utter nonsense. If we’re gonna generalize an entire culture, then history suggests it’s the complete opposite.

Guest HTT II
Just now, McCormick said:

Sorry mate but that’s utter nonsense. If we’re gonna generalize an entire culture, then history suggests it’s the complete opposite.

I’m talking in business terms mate…

Guest HTT II

RE this poor lass, I’ve been reading up on her and her so-called crimes and it’s obviously disgusting how they’ve treated her and that’s not even one of the worst crimes they have committed against their own people and I have to say, I don’t think I’ll ever be back at SJP other than the odd Cup game if only for my boys.

My youngest son’s team-mates, most of them have season tickets and I know he feels left out as he loves football, but I wouldn’t feel OK giving money to this regime in the way I didn’t with Ashley. That said, if I told him he could have 90 minutes at SJP watching the Toon or 90 minutes kicking a ball about on some field, he’d choose the latter.

My oldest doesn’t like football weirdly enough in terms of playing it, but if I said fancy a game at SJP he’d put both hands up. I’ll support us from the sofa and bask in any glory as an armchair fan these days, but even then, it won’t ever quite feel the same. Ideally the game will implode and all these chancers, murderous regimes, hedge funds and absolute cunts will disappear from the game.

I need to get my two to more Gateshead games for their footy fix… and mine!

Guest HTT II
Just now, McCormick said:

So am I :) .

Saudi’s tend to want success quickly and will usually pay a premium for that. With PIF in particular, they love a ready-made solution.

I can only go off what my friends say in that buying say Man Utd would be easy in terms of the money available to purchase that club, but if they won something it wouldn’t be deemed as SA being mega successful, it would just be a continuation of success already achieved by others. NUFC on the other hand if they can make us a huge success, would be seen as SA’s might, power, money and influence.

Most if not all PIF strategic investments have been “ready-made solutions”; buying an international event company (despite having a few of their own failing  ones), buying Uber despite having Saudi-made, government operated ones like Jeeny and countless other examples. KSA PLC has a clear focus on quick growth and success and this has been a cornerstone for their economic development for years, decades even.

You say 

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

it would just be a continuation of success already achieved by others.

Yet KSA’s ascension over the last 50 years has been centered on exactly this. They didn’t have the expertise/ operational structures before (and still don’t really) but did have a lot of money; so they went out and bought it. Even culturally, the idea of buying something less than stellar and fixing-it-up isn’t really something that you can ascribe to the majority of (high-net-worth) Saudis. Buying success now, instead of slow-build success is a key part of their growth model.

Obviously giga projects are slightly different but this NUFC project obviously doesn’t fall into this category.

Manu are selling a minority share because some of the other persons in the Glazer family want out.

Seems like the brothers, Abel andCane/Ashley & Mike, or whatever they are called, are not interested in selling and would like to continue in their positions and exploit further their leveraged money cow.

It does seem like Manu have their own version of the same parasite we had. I have absolutely no shame in saying that I am enjoying their fall from grace after so many years of their arrogant existence.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Most if not all PIF strategic investments have been “ready-made solutions”; buying an international event company (despite having a few of their own failing  ones), buying Uber despite having Saudi-made, government operated ones like Jeeny and countless other examples. KSA PLC has a clear focus on quick growth and success and this has been a cornerstone for their economic development for years, decades even.

You say 

Yet KSA’s ascension over the last 50 years has been centered on exactly this. They didn’t have the expertise/ operational structures before (and still don’t really) but did have a lot of money; so they went out and bought it. Even culturally, the idea of buying something less than stellar and fixing-it-up isn’t really something that you can ascribe to the majority of (high-net-worth) Saudis. Buying success now, instead of slow-build success is a key part of their growth model.

Obviously giga projects are slightly different but this NUFC project obviously doesn’t fall into this category.

You obviously know more than me when it comes to their culture and stuff, but again I’m just going off what people who have originated from there tell me. They have said mind, PIF buying NUFC in terms of the price they paid and their 80% ownership is substantial in terms of their ambitions or rather what they seek out of attaining a PL football club long-term, and that’s huge success.

47 minutes ago, HTT II said:

RE this poor lass, I’ve been reading up on her and her so-called crimes and it’s obviously disgusting how they’ve treated her and that’s not even one of the worst crimes they have committed against their own people and I have to say, I don’t think I’ll ever be back at SJP other than the odd Cup game if only for my boys.

My youngest son’s team-mates, most of them have season tickets and I know he feels left out as he loves football, but I wouldn’t feel OK giving money to this regime in the way I didn’t with Ashley. That said, if I told him he could have 90 minutes at SJP watching the Toon or 90 minutes kicking a ball about on some field, he’d choose the latter.

My oldest doesn’t like football weirdly enough in terms of playing it, but if I said fancy a game at SJP he’d put both hands up. I’ll support us from the sofa and bask in any glory as an armchair fan these days, but even then, it won’t ever quite feel the same. Ideally the game will implode and all these chancers, murderous regimes, hedge funds and absolute cunts will disappear from the game.

I need to get my two to more Gateshead games for their footy fix… and mine!

Sorry to hear you’re so conflicted. You obviously love NUFC, and spend so much time writing and thinking about ‘us’,  it must be hard to be ‘half in’.

I don’t know how others reconcile their concerns, if they have them, about KSA being in the background of our ownership. I wouldn’t dream of espousing what is right thing to do. Each to their own.

Personally, I have adopted the same kind of approach I took to other regimes, whether McKeag et al., (lesser) concerns about the Halls and Shepherd, and the previous shitshow. A bit head in the sand maybe, but as long as I can identify with and respect the values of the leadership closest to the players, and most involved in the direction the club is taking, then I am in. I opted out after the infuriating disrespect to and undermining of Keegan, drifted back and then opted out when Rafa experienced similar. I’m 100% back in now. Hope you find a way of reconciling things, mate. Or are more comfortable, than I imagine I would be, staying as you are.

59 minutes ago, McCormick said:

So am I :) .

Saudi’s tend to want success quickly and will usually pay a premium for that. With PIF in particular, they love a ready-made solution.

That works well for us both ways IMO. They aren't the type to jump ship and attach themselves to a different region or club once they've hung their mast on one, would probably be seen as flaky in their culture. You just have to see how long they've clung onto centuries old customs for proof of that. Also if they want success quickly, that means they are more likely to invest more money in buying what the club needs to get us there in the shortest route possible. All seems good to me.

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

@McCormickdo you ever wonder if Newcastle is really a Yasir thing? Like he really went above and beyond / against normal PIF convention and did this deal because of various reasons, even personal ones. 

Wouldn’t be in my best interests to speculate on that :lol:

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

@McCormickdo you ever wonder if Newcastle is really a Yasir thing? Like he really went above and beyond / against normal PIF convention and did this deal because of various reasons, even personal ones. 

Mid life crisis? Instead of buying a Harley he went all out and bought a premier league toy, in Saudi wealth terms it would be a decent ratio:cheesy:

Haven't been following the club that closely, why do people think they've been quite slow in the transfer market over the summer?

Can see it being a Howe decision but just interested if there are any other theories.

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

Haven't been following the club that closely, why do people think they've been quite slow in the transfer market over the summer?

Can see it being a Howe decision but just interested if there are any other theories.

* FFP

* Want value for money

* Want the right characters

* Going for players bigger clubs than us want as well

* Clubs still trying to squeeze us for PIF tax

* Agents & clubs moving goalposts

* Believe patience is key

* Lack of sponsors coming in this season

* Still getting the right people into positions behind the scenes

* Building relationships with other clubs

3 minutes ago, triggs said:

As has been pointed out before, in the past Howe has been quite wedded to the UK market. That mayyyyyyy be a factor. Hard to say as the signings of Bruno and Botman obvs defy this. We also don’t know if Howe genuinely had much input in the scouting of those players.

But, the UK market rarely offers value for money. Clearly, the idea that the player is acclimated to the place and culture pushes the price up. 
Wonder if there’s any data to actually support the notion that English based players are lower risk?
We were fairly quick with Pope and Botman.

I’m guessing there is a line of thought that strikers are always harder to find. Couldn’t validate that myself, every team has them like! 
The pattern of our forward targets is a little strange to me.

The Joke Maddison bid is a definite outlier.

Some obvs similarities between Pedro and Etikite.

Ramos, I dunno. 
The point there is that I’m struggling to see the pattern other than value for money.

But, I’m not in the room with them so can only come to half baked conclusions from the little evidence presented.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Sorry to hear you’re so conflicted. You obviously love NUFC, and spend so much time writing and thinking about ‘us’,  it must be hard to be ‘half in’.

I don’t know how others reconcile their concerns, if they have them, about KSA being in the background of our ownership. I wouldn’t dream of espousing what is right thing to do. Each to their own.

Personally, I have adopted the same kind of approach I took to other regimes, whether McKeag et al., (lesser) concerns about the Halls and Shepherd, and the previous shitshow. A bit head in the sand maybe, but as long as I can identify with and respect the values of the leadership closest to the players, and most involved in the direction the club is taking, then I am in. I opted out after the infuriating disrespect to and undermining of Keegan, drifted back and then opted out when Rafa experienced similar. I’m 100% back in now. Hope you find a way of reconciling things, mate. Or are more comfortable, than I imagine I would be, staying as you are.

I’m happy Ashley is gone and I’m loving the reconnect from fans with the club and AS and her husband seem lovely people and I’m now wanting us to win games and be the best we can again, but that passion that used to exist just isn’t there anymore and it does tear at me who our owners are and how I reconcile that with my own feelings on the subject relating to how I feel about them now owning my club.

It’s a tough one. I’ve told myself just don’t put any money into the club and not to go to games unless it’s the odd cup games or friendlies with the boys as I don’t want them missing out on NUFC growing up as one loves playing footy and the other likes watching it. We loved the women’s Euros for example and they’ve been to quite a few Gateshead games over the years and I plan on taking them to a few Blue Star games as they are on our doorstep.

I know the day will come soon when my boys will want a season ticket and I’m probably going to disappoint them and say no, even if we had different owners I don’t think I could be chowed with the whole match day carry on nor the costs.

FWIW I would never condemn anyone who goes and turns a blind eye so to speak to who owns us, or just doesn’t want to concern themselves with such issues. I mean it concerns me, but it won’t stop me rooting for my club and enjoying games and any success that follows, from my armchair of course.

One thing I do think about a lot is what Wor Flags are doing, I’ve said it for a while, they are and have been the best thing about NUFC for me and I have loads of mates who have season tickets and they constantly tell me how much me and my boys are missing out regarding the atmosphere and their displays and how much I’d be loving it. I love seeing their displays from the telly, but I know I’d rather be there in that atmosphere in person.

I jacked my season ticket it when KK walked and literally totally boycotted the club under him for the last decade or so and actively rooted for us to lose just to get rid of him and Pardew and Bruce and I also criticised fans that still went and spent their money during those years, I’d feel hypocritical getting a ST and in all honesty, I’d rather a young fan get one and enjoy what I did under KK and Sir Bobby especially. 

Guest HTT II
41 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I think he has clearly been won over if you like and must surely have a huge buzz for all things NUFC like us fans do, he literally looks like a kid in a sweet shop or at Xmas every match he attends and I know a few coaches, scouts and parents whose kids are at the academy who have met him and they all say he seems star struck and in his element at the whole experience even more than they themselves are. I personally think because of that he will have a more invested interest in NUFC and it’s success than just commercially where PIF is concerned. 

Guest HTT II
31 minutes ago, triggs said:

I think we are very selective obviously in the type and kind of player we want and that narrows down things massively. For example Sarr, Dennis et al would improve us, but they clearly want a certain type of player. That and what others above have noted. I think we’ll sign 2 minimum, 3 max and will spend good money still before the end of the window, we may need to go outside of whatever box we have mind to sign such players…

39 minutes ago, Dokko said:

* FFP

* Want value for money

* Want the right characters

* Going for players bigger clubs than us want as well

* Clubs still trying to squeeze us for PIF tax

* Agents & clubs moving goalposts

* Believe patience is key

* Lack of sponsors coming in this season

* Still getting the right people into positions behind the scenes

* Building relationships with other clubs

All right, but an extension to the bit in bold is learning from the likes of Everton and QPR (the latter of whom Reuben was obviously educated on first hand). Spending loads in a short space of time has been varying shades of disastrous for those clubs.