Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

While I agree with anyone calling out people who are being critical of Howe generally, I think in-game specifics are obviously fine to highlight. I think Howe himself would set us up differently against ten men if we were to replay the game as we did get complacent. Is Howe an amazing manager, yes, has he improved every player in the squad, yes. Will we win something with him if he’s here in two years, yes.

Kaka, I think you have too much of a tendency to generalise, “you lot” doesn’t really capture the fact that most of us on here have the same opinion that he’s amazing 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

While I agree with anyone calling out people who are being critical of Howe generally, I think in-game specifics are obviously fine to highlight. I think Howe himself would set us up differently against ten men if we were to replay the game as we did get complacent. Is Howe an amazing manager, yes, has he improved every player in the squad, yes. Will we win something with him if he’s here in two years, yes.

Kaka, I think you have too much of a tendency to generalise, “you lot” doesn’t really capture the fact that most of us on here have the same opinion that he’s amazing 

To be honest I don't even care if people don't think he's amazing, but just be realistic with whatever you are saying to back it up. We are miles behind those teams in every way and are still playing catch-up.

I think there is an entitlement that has come with last year's success that is incredibly disappointing and it is really annoying.

Every one was so hype after we smashed Villa 5-1 just a few weeks ago and a couple of losses to Pep and Klopp, and now all this carrying on. It's ridiculous, honestly.

Depends on how you categories high-pressure matches or matches against top sides too. 

Man United, Spurs and Brighton at home were all high pressure matches against sides who were in the running for Champions League football. We played very, very well in all three. There were also plenty of solid performances under the cosh in the prior fight for survival. Of course the highest pressure match of all was the cup final, where it is fair to say we weren't at our best. In context it did fall during an unfortunate run of form where the team looked a bit short of confidence, particularly in front of goal.

We've been a mixed bag v other good sides. We've beaten Arsenal, Man United, Spurs (X2), Brighton (X2) and Villa. We've also held our own and come away with something at Old Trafford, the Emirates and the Amex. It's hardly disastrous.

The two teams we've really struggled against have been Liverpool and City. In isolation, we haven't performed particularly badly over the last three v Liverpool and have suffered late heartbreak in two. Listening to journalists and players it does sound like they've got under our skin, it's a mental barrier we'll have to tackle. City are just sensational and most teams struggle to consistently take points off them.

We've come a long way in such a short period of time, we're not going to be taking down the best in the league on a consistent basis. They are after all very good teams, with top managers and deep squads. It is remarkable the trip to the Etihad is the only game in the calender I write off these days, when 18 months ago I'd be crossing out half of the fixture list. As we add more quality and continue to develop, we'll take even more points from these games, but other than the cup final I've not seen much evidence of a mental block in high pressure games.

This sad bastard doesn't win every game? What the fuck?

No room in my heart for the criticism of Howe at this point. Yes the game as absolutely heartbreaking, ruined my whole week, but that's football man. Playing against 10 men isn't as easy as people think, and our squad is still a work in progress.

If you're getting any shit from the scousers in your life, just ask them who they drew in the Champions League this season.

2 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

No room in my heart for the criticism of Howe at this point. Yes the game as absolutely heartbreaking, ruined my whole week, but that's football man. Playing against 10 men isn't as easy as people think, and our squad is still a work in progress.

If you're getting any shit from the scousers in your life, just ask them who they drew in the Champions League this season.

??

2 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Watched in a bar full of scousers in tenerife and to say I was gutted for a good day or so after is underselling it. Find a few comments, admittedly on Facebook more than here very annoying. Some fans have skipped the actual winning to immediately too privelaged to lose. I will get my own back on the scousers watching the draw while they work though haha 

Eddie Howe is my favorite thing going at Newcastle atm, but people should be able to point out what they see as flaws in his decision making or abilities. He is not perfect and above critisicm.

People saying he should get sacked are idiots ofcourse, but cant recall many here calling for that?

5 hours ago, jack j said:

Be canny In 20 years when history is rewrote and people realise how good Eddie was before he was forced out by our stupid fans

They'll all deny it though. The same as they do now with Robson

I'll go with Mourinho as this eras souness

Our fans deserve fuck all success ?

Makes me shudder because it doesn't sound impossible.

Shades of the same conflated point that we saw all the time when Rafa was here - that people criticising an argument is somehow the same as them saying you're not allowed to make the argument at all. It's all a bit 'Im entitled to my opinion' really. 

If people were saying 'you shouldn't post this' fair enough, but if they're saying 'what you've posted is shit and here's why' that's totally different. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Maineblue said:

Good post except for one thing “City weren’t hanging on in the end and Pep wasn’t worried”  you guys had one tame effort shot on target in the whole game, you’re a bloody good side but you didn’t turn up at the Etihad.

This is the guy everyone was hammering and calling a troll because he said there was pressure on Howe to get a result against Liverpool, isn't it? Made ourselves look like dicks here, haven't we?

P.S. I don't really agree with you here. We had about as much of the game as Liverpool did against us - we just didn't put away our chances while they did. Your celebrations at the end of the game told their own story, it wasn't a comfortable night.

Edited by 80

41 minutes ago, KaKa said:

How long have Pep and Klopp been in their jobs? And how long have they been building those teams and working with those players? Players and squads that are still significantly better than ours by the way.

Honestly, you really need to calm down. You like so many others cannot handle the success we had last season and it has completely made you lot loopy.

I am calm and have been reasoned and polite in the whole debate. In my opinion the hubris and lack of self-awareness on your behalf in continually telling people what they think and how they feel is genuinely staggering. 

Edited by Theregulars

4 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I am calm and have been reasoned and polite in the whole debate. In my opinion the hubris and lack of self-awareness on your behalf in continually telling people what they think and how they feel is genuinely staggering. 

Okay, fine. 

Your reactions and expectations are all perfectly fine and reasonable. Carry on.

34 minutes ago, KaKa said:

To be honest I don't even care if people don't think he's amazing, but just be realistic with whatever you are saying to back it up. We are miles behind those teams in every way and are still playing catch-up.

I think there is an entitlement that has come with last year's success that is incredibly disappointing and it is really annoying.

Every one was so hype after we smashed Villa 5-1 just a few weeks ago and a couple of losses to Pep and Klopp, and now all this carrying on. It's ridiculous, honestly.

This. Fan base full of gonads, tbh

Few views on this...

Firstly, of course it's OK to say "I think that sub was wrong", "I think he should have made changes sooner" or "I think he should have started x player". I don't think anyone thinks this isn't OK to discuss.

Last season, around the city away game I was open in saying I thought he waited two games too many to bring Maxi, Isak and Murphy into the side. I think loyalty to certain players cost us.... however I also "got it", sometimes you have to show loyalty. Its a fucking tough job.

However, I don't think any of this is what we are REALLY talking about. We are talking about the post defeat knee jerk apocalyptic types. The ones who jump straight into the thread by slating Miggy or Burn, despite neither having a bad game. Slating the manager for not doing what they wanted, despite it not being absolutely clear that what they wanted would have helped. Everyone is captain hindsight.

I'm sure Howe will look at the Liverpool game with regrets but he'd be mental to beat himself up.

The great thing about Howe and the reason I love him so much, is that he's not the finished article... he will never be the finished article. He's his own biggest critic. That's why I wouldn't change him for the world.

I guess my own thought is that I'm in dreamland with this manager and the mere insinuation of a world without Eddie Howe pisses me off. Its short-sighted, reactionary and just not the Newcastle United I want to be.

I've no doubt that with Howe at the helm we will continue to improve long term but there will be some bumps along the way, so just relax, take the defeats on the chin and get behind the lads.

I believe that following the city game and now the Pool game, if things continue in the same vein the ownership will give him time to resolve any issues as per when he first arrived. I would hate to see another Richard Dinnis where he did well in his first season but the following one it all went pearshaped. I would not be surprised if the owners were already looking far ahead for future managers, hopefully Howe can manage any heat which come his way especially if Brighton ends in a further defeat, which it will should that be the case.

Eddie Howe can be criticised for in game decisions that he makes as well as team performances without it meaning that people want him out or don't think that he's good enough. I haven't read much of the last few pages but I think criticism of a performance or setup or substitution gets conflated with being against him or wanting him gone or not thinking he's up to it for whatever reason. 

He's been absolutely phenomenal and done a job so fantastic it's pretty much unprecedented. I've always been a fan of him, remember calling for him even pre takeover (as if he'd even have came then, but you kna), was fully behind him in the stickier early days when we had 1 win in 21 or something and still am fully behind him now. He's took us into the CL for the first time in my conscious Newcastle supporting life immediately following a season which we started with Stephen Roger in the dugout and battling against relegation. Unbelievable. On top of that he's made us into one of the best teams in the country playing a high tempo, nice on the eye style of football. I love him and he's made me as proud as I've ever been of being a Newcastle supporter, Saudi baggage aside.

But Sunday was poor. A goal and a man up after 25 minutes and we not only end up not winning the match but losing it, it was canny shit. Against a team we finished above of last season and a few expect us to be mixing it with this season. You'd hope that he'll learn from that. Disappointment will also always come from that in spite of the bigger picture. I still am now and probably will be until 5:29pm on Saturday. That's part of being a football fan and that's fine.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Few views on this...

Firstly, of course it's OK to say "I think that sub was wrong", "I think he should have made changes sooner" or "I think he should have started x player". I don't think anyone thinks this isn't OK to discuss.

Last season, around the city away game I was open in saying I thought he waited two games too many to bring Maxi, Isak and Murphy into the side. I think loyalty to certain players cost us.... however I also "got it", sometimes you have to show loyalty. Its a fucking tough job.

However, I don't think any of this is what we are REALLY talking about. We are talking about the post defeat knee jerk apocalyptic types. The ones who jump straight into the thread by slating Miggy or Burn, despite neither having a bad game. Slating the manager for not doing what they wanted, despite it not being absolutely clear that what they wanted would have helped. Everyone is captain hindsight.

I'm sure Howe will look at the Liverpool game with regrets but he'd be mental to beat himself up.

The great thing about Howe and the reason I love him so much, is that he's not the finished article... he will never be the finished article. He's his own biggest critic. That's why I wouldn't change him for the world.

I guess my own thought is that I'm in dreamland with this manager and the mere insinuation of a world without Eddie Howe pisses me off. Its short-sighted, reactionary and just not the Newcastle United I want to be.

I've no doubt that with Howe at the helm we will continue to improve long term but there will be some bumps along the way, so just relax, take the defeats on the chin and get behind the lads.

Not to mention there are people even going as far as having a go at players directly on social media, for goodness sake. Because after three games we dared to lose to Man City and Liverpool.

Man, not gonna lie, I have a really bad feeling about all this. Think we're going to blow it by being so impatient as a fan base.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

What a child you are. I bet your expectations are exactly the same as each other [emoji38]

' Your expectations are exactly the same as each other ... '

Um, okay. Whatever you say spaceman.

19 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Okay, fine. 

Your reactions and expectations are all perfectly fine and reasonable. Carry on.

You have no idea what my expectations are - you've never asked me about them and we've never had a conversation about them! You've literally decided what they are after extrapolating them from one comment or opinion. It's actually - sincerely, genuinely - how children view the world. 

My expectations for that game in the situation were that we would see a lead out with 15 minutes against 10 men. I don't see anything unreasonable in there.