Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

42 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Only Klopp and Guardiola have really had his number. Two of the best coaches in world football.

Also stating "fact" after your opinion doesn't make it any more valid.

You are correct - fact

1 hour ago, Jagten said:

I slightly disagree re squad composition. We have one progressive passer, which is evident when teams sit off us. It feels to me like we've witnessed a subtle recruitment step-change since Isak, and signings have been more about enabling Howe-ball. I don't want an oppositional sporting director, but I do want a directorship that appreciates risk management. The most likely outcome is that Howe eventually fails. I hope we keep this in mind.

We've only really made three meaningful signings since Isak in terms of style, in Gordon, Tonali and Barnes. I'd say the first two certainly can adapt to different systems and are generically attractive to coaches. Barnes, I could see the jury being out on, but I wouldn't call that optimizing us for Howe-ball at the expense of taking other options off the table. We're a DM and a RW away from being able to play significantly differently if we wanted to, and I think - at least with the RW - circumstances have dictated us not buying them yet.

Edited by 80

7 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Has he publicy apologised for that farce yet?

Stuff like this makes me laugh thesedays

Used to get so angry at twitter and the likes then you realise people are just fucking idiots

Edited by jack j

40 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Probably part of the problem today. With them being down to ten we didn't know whether to see the game out or kill it off.

You have to kill it off otherwise you leave yourself wide open for what happened. We should have been going at it like we did Villa second half. It was like a school party pass the parcel between defence and midfield in the second half, which ultimately left Liverpool in a position to gamble more and press for a result in the last 15 minutes. 

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He's beaten some of the top managers. Ten Haag, Arteta, Conte, Emery, De Zerbi.

The rest arent top managers. Klopp and Pep are a level above. Howe has been outsmarted every time by them

1 minute ago, WinstonFC said:

The rest arent top managers. Klopp and Pep are a level above. Howe has been outsmarted every time by them

3-3 at home to Man City last season. 

It's a very small sample size across 1.5 seasons against two of the best sides in the league, and you're still wrong. 

Edited by Interpolic

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

A draw at old Trafford, Stamford bridge, arsenal and a win at spurs is only ‘meh’ to you? We took four points from six from Man U, six from six from spurs. 

we’re still in very early days of this project and the fact that two out of the last three times we’ve played Liverpool we feel upset as we should have won, a team we haven’t beat since 2015 is signs of progress to me.

When saying things like “I feel he might not be elite” - just be careful what you wish for.

Yes, I think his record in those fixtures is meh. I really like him. I hope he can improve, because he’ll need to. 

1 hour ago, ilikenewcastle said:

- cup final performance was disappointing but in line with the way we playing during a poor run of form

- we lost twice away to Sky 6 and were not bad in either game.

- we were by far the better side in the first leg and had a goal disallowed for no reason, 2nd leg was wrapped up early

- you admit we played well in 4/6 homes game v Sky 6

- Villa game was probably the biggest occasion so far and we battered a good team

Doesn’t this just illustrate my point - that’s a mixed record.

Guardiola and Klopp lose to each other all the time and to other top managers who, crucially, manage top teams. Klopp was regularly thwarted by Felix Magath too. Until we have a team that's undoubtedly at the same level it's an incredibly weak point.

Our passing was off but we constantly pressed their 10 men and won the ball back, comfortably. For me it went to shit with the subs. Klopps worked, by putting Liverpool into full attack mode, and we just didn't adjust well to it. It really shouldn't have worked as well as it did though, it was such a transparent ploy. You could tell by Klopps reaction that he couldn't really believe what happened. At best he's hoping for an equaliser, but to win it?!

It was freak result but one where we were most certainly the masters of our own downfall.

Last season we had 1 win in our opening 7 Premier League games. 

Let’s take a f**king beat here and calm down. 

Maybe we take a while to get going.

It’s not how you start a season it’s how you finish it that counts. 

Had we played two non top 5 teams in games 2 and 3 we’d be on 9 points. I’m glad this education and reflection for Howe is happening now. We will be stronger because of it. However painful today is. Because it quite frankly still is. 

30 minutes ago, WinstonFC said:

Klopp's magic has faded, he's not on the same level as Guardiola.

Not sure anyone is.

26 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Guardiola and Klopp lose to each other all the time and to other top managers who, crucially, manage top teams. Klopp was regularly thwarted by Felix Magath too. Until we have a team that's undoubtedly at the same level it's an incredibly weak point.

This

1 hour ago, WinstonFC said:

Howe struggles against the top managers, fact. 

5 years in the PL with Bournemouth.

So most of his games against top managers have been with a relatively weak squad, where his team would be expected to lose.

Even with us he's still going up against someone that's been able to refine their squad and influence their style over a long period, all while spending big money.

Two recent fixtures, three if you count Emery (some would) as top managers. First game we were lethal. Second against the best, they respected the fuck out of us to play that way and we kept it at 1 - 0. Third, we should've won, but small margins and this level.

Which ever way you look at it, worst case is he's not very far off a Pep or Klopp.