Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Yeh, I referenced that in my post.

We're at par points wise and haven't played particularly well, I'll worry when we don't play well and don't get the points we expect.

Agree. Next few games will get us some answers.

On a side note, I don't think it's too far fetched to say we haven't played well as a result of the quality of the opposition we've faced. 

How many times last year was it the other way round for opposing fans who claimed they were shit and we just caught them on a bad day when in reality it was because we made them look bad?

Same thing's happening now. 

55 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

You know I would be more worried if we had last year's fixtures and results.

It wasn't until Fulham we kicked into gear

Screenshot_20230920-141546.png

We played well in most of those games. Looked a bit toothless on occasion. We got less points than we deserved. The good results followed pretty good performances.

This time - the results are pretty much on par in the league and above par in the CL. But we're playing much worse which doesn't bode well for the future (except the fixtures are as good as it gets in the league).

25 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

On a side note, I don't think it's too far fetched to say we haven't played well as a result of the quality of the opposition we've faced. 

How many times last year was it the other way round for opposing fans who claimed they were shit and we just caught them on a bad day when in reality it was because we made them look bad?

That was certainly true at Brighton and Man City, and even against Liverpool who were superb with ten men, but I didn't feel that last night at all, I thought that we were really poor on our own terms, at least with the ball, a lot of sloppy passing and decision making. Milan didn't really have to win the ball back much as we just kept giving it back to them under minimal pressure.

35 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I don't really agree. Last season we played well against City H & A and only got 1 point. We played well against Liverpool H & A and got 0 points. 

AC Milan really let us play. And we offered nothing.

This season Liverpool were lucky to beat us again. But we didn't play particularly well ourselves. We were much worse against Milan but got a better result. The result is mostly down to the quality of the opposition. But the performance is our own.

Edited by The College Dropout

7 minutes ago, Wullie said:

That was certainly true at Brighton and Man City, and even against Liverpool who were superb with ten men, but I didn't feel that last night at all, I thought that we were really poor on our own terms, at least with the ball, a lot of sloppy passing and decision making. Milan didn't really have to win the ball back much as we just kept giving it back to them under minimal pressure.

Gordon (normally our most accurate passer after Botman), Tonali and Burn all had under 70% passing accuracy vs. Milan. That's the entire left side. There were also numerous miscontrols and lost tackles across the whole team.

https://fbref.com/en/matches/19789895/Milan-Newcastle-United-September-19-2023-Champions-League

It sounded like it was quite hot and balmy during the match. Some of our lads looked knackered at the end.

3 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Gordon (normally our most accurate passer after Botman), Tonali and Burn all had under 70% passing accuracy vs. Milan. That's the entire left side. There were also numerous miscontrols and lost tackles across the whole team.

https://fbref.com/en/matches/19789895/Milan-Newcastle-United-September-19-2023-Champions-League

It sounded like it was quite hot and balmy during the match. Some of our lads looked knackered at the end.

The right hand side averaged about 85% as a comparison and had the ball about twice as much. Whole pub went collectively mental after Burn put his 3rd pass under no pressure straight out [emoji38]

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't really agree. Last season we played well against City H & A and only got 1 point. We played well against Liverpool H & A and got 0 points. 

AC Milan really let us play. And we offered nothing.

This season Liverpool were lucky to beat us again. But we didn't play particularly well ourselves. We were much worse against Milan but got a better result. The result is mostly down to the quality of the opposition. But the performance is our own.

I'm not sure why some are giving you pelters on here for stating the obvious. We ALL felt robbed from the Liverpool games last year because the effort matched the performance, plus VAR did us dirty. 

We were pretty good against Liverpool for the better part of the game this year, but came undone with individual errors and some good finishing by Darwin Núñez (who hasn't scored in any other match, of course. :lol: )

Felt like we used an underdog spirit to get ourselves up for the games and Howe has probably tried to shift that mindset mentally, tactically, while also integrating the quality we bought over the summer. The weirdest thing for me is we had a good pre season, which built up to a good home performance in our first match and has now come unravelled since that Liverpool defeat. I honestly didn't think we were that bad against Man City, but really came undone against Brighton. 

Regardless, I think we'll crack on from here and get much better as the season wears on. 

Edited by The Bonk

2 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

You know I would be more worried if we had last year's fixtures and results.

It wasn't until Fulham we kicked into gear

Screenshot_20230920-141546.png

Back then though even when the results weren't what we wanted we were creating chances to score and playing quite well. This time we are not doing either. 

14 minutes ago, andycap said:

Back then though even when the results weren't what we wanted we were creating chances to score and playing quite well. This time we are not doing either. 

People on here moaned like fuck just drawing with Palace and Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

I've felt that all season. I'm not that fussed about results, against teams like Brighton or Man City there's no guarantees of  coming away with anything, but I just don't feel we have done enough ourselves performance wise.

If you recall I said I hoped we didn't underestimate Milan because they got beat 5-1 in their derby, but that was partly because I'm not that happy how we are gelling as a team. Milan might not have a team full of superstars now, but they still played like a CL team in all aspects other than finishing. They zipped the ball around well and shut down our threat relatively easily.

I'm just seeing other teams, even those not in the top 4 of the PL playing more fluent football.

40 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

People on here moaned like fuck just drawing with Palace and Bournemouth.

I don't doubt it at all. It's revisionist history all of a sudden.

I'm sure pulling up the match threads would reveal the ugly truth.

Pretty sure I recall major complaining at the time about how we were so poor because we didn't get a right winger and that we'd struggle and not progress because of it.

Edited by KaKa

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We played well in most of those games. Looked a bit toothless on occasion. We got less points than we deserved. The good results followed pretty good performances.

This time - the results are pretty much on par in the league and above par in the CL. But we're playing much worse which doesn't bode well for the future (except the fixtures are as good as it gets in the league).

You were absolutely insufferable last September, man. Don't try to rewrite history here.

I'm not saying we weren't twisting on because we drew against bournemouth and palace. I'm saying in those games we played quite well and created chances that weren't taken. You could see it would click at some point, contrast that to the present we look disjointed in all phases of the game. Our style has changed our performances have dropped off players are looking disinterested. 

Not quite as obvious as last night. But I feel you are mis-remembering. Those games we were fairly crap. Palace we needed a Pope wonder save to get us a point. 

We had plenty of games last year during our sticky patches of form where we looked massively out of sorts. 

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

I'm not saying we weren't twisting on because we drew against bournemouth and palace. I'm saying in those games we played quite well and created chances that weren't taken. You could see it would click at some point, contrast that to the present we look disjointed in all phases of the game. Our style has changed our performances have dropped off players are looking disinterested. 

Fucking hell mate… take a nap.

Must be exhausting being so revisionist.

6 minutes ago, andycap said:

Ah, that's a new one.

'Players are looking disinterested'

My big concern last season was a lack of quality in the final third. And as a team that was our biggest problem. We drew a lot of games that we would’ve won with a little more quality.  I probably said that after Bournemouth and Palace and I don’t regret it. That was our biggest limitation last season. But we defended well, progressed the ball well etc. it was just that last pass or finish that let us down. Our press ended up being a reliable enough playmaker and various players hit goal scoring super patches.  

This season the midfield can’t protect the defence. The press isn’t working like it did last season.  Strikers are isolated. We Struggle to progress the ball.  And we regularly have £100m worth of talent sitting on the bench. 

Fixing the press will solve a lot of our problems.  

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

My big concern last season was a lack of quality in the final third. And as a team that was our biggest problem. We drew a lot of games that we would’ve won with a little more quality.  I probably said that after Bournemouth and Palace and I don’t regret it. That was our biggest limitation last season. But we defended well, progressed the ball well etc. it was just that last pass or finish that let us down. Our press ended up being a reliable enough playmaker and various players hit goal scoring super patches.  

This season the midfield can’t protect the defence. The press isn’t working like it did last season.  Strikers are isolated. We Struggle to progress the ball.  And we regularly have £100m worth of talent sitting on the bench. 

Fixing the press will solve a lot of our problems.  

And using some of the talent in the bench. Press is the most important thing though

Isak isn’t disinterested man, there’s a difference between being in form and the team being set up to your strengths and disinterested. Also, how anyone can call out Schar is beyond me. Why follow football if it’s so negative