Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

31 minutes ago, midds said:

Love the bloke to bits but I think he could have made 3 changes tonight in the last 10 minutes to stop the play and break momentum and chose not to. Having kids on the bench is one thing but to their inexperience is irrelevant when the clock's on 91 mins etc. Subbing those 3 players on could have killed the play for 30 seconds or so at a time. Not saying it could have prevented the bullshit pen but it could also have panned out differently too

Can see arguments in both directions on this.

But in fairness to him, PSG never broke us down and scored. Without a VAR robbery, Livramento intercepted yet another cross and we won 1-0.

His decisions (or technically the lack thereof) had us on course to get the result. You can't mitigate for that level of fuckery. If we stuck some youngsters on for Isak we'd have still been under the cosh and the same thing or something different could've happened. 

12 minutes ago, wormy said:

His decisions (or technically the lack thereof) had us on course to get the result. You can't mitigate for that level of fuckery. If we stuck some youngsters on for Isak we'd have still been under the cosh and the same thing or something different could've happened. 

PSG should have scored loads though.  We were knackered and offered only decent defending for the last 20 minutes and PSG created chance after chance after chance. And Eddie just let it ride from what I could see. Little change in shape or tactics from what I could see. 

There wasn’t anything on the bench apart from Lewis Hall and Matt Ritchie.  So I’m not going to be too tough on Howe.  I could tell in the first half the players will end the game on their arses.  Most teams that end like that end up losing 3-1. We have that bit of steel that makes us lucky. 

29 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I think Howe always has the small chance that we get a break and do something on his mind, when we're in dig deep mode. He'd rather have Isak on for that type of scenario above anyone else.

Isak didn’t look capable of running at full pelt for longer than 2 seconds tbh. 

I counted 1 success pass in the last 15 minutes of the game. 

Ritchie wasn't on the bench

I'd say the flat 4-5-1 was a helluva shape change from what we usually play

Psg looked more likely to break us down when we committed an extra man or 2 forward. We were literally defending our box without the ball because we had fuck all left to give

Should have brought a couple of subs on just to disrupt the flow of the game. Probably the first team to make zero subs in a CL game for a long time.

Edited by Beth

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's the Wolves paradox all over again. If he chances it and we concede he gets criticised.

He should've twisted then too.

Eddie doesn't seem to mind riding waves and waves of attack if he's got what he thinks are his best options out. Other lads have to make themselves options when they get the chance. Eddie's not going to just give them minutes because so and so is knackered the way Rafa would.

I think he had to wait too long but Tino took his chance. Murph took his chance. Lascelles took his chance.

Edit: This is aimed squarely at Lewis Hall. Got time on his hands and loads of quality but he's going to have to earn his minutes.

Edited by The College Dropout

"Yes I do," Howe said, when asked if he felt a sense of injustice at the decision. "In my opinion it's not the right decision, but you fear the worst when it goes to the monitor.

"The speed of it and the ricochet, slowed down, looks different. The ball hits Tino's chest and then hits his arm, but it's not an unnatural movement.

"It was a poor decision with so little time left, but there's nothing we can do with it now.

"I have to control myself, that's my job. It doesn't do any good to lose control of what you think and say."

"I feel sorry for the players who performed so well in such difficult circumstances," Howe said. "We will look at the positives of what the players gave, they were totally committed to what we want to do.

"There were some massive performances and we are still in the competition, so we should look at the positives not negatives.

"It will take time for the emotions to turn to a positive, but the players have been absolutely outstanding."

Think he has shown some nice growth in these CL away matches. Milan was a bad performance, Dortmund better and this first half against the toughest opponent was really good and we were able to keep possession nicely. Second half we really needed some fresh legs for the last 35 minutes but it's a shame we didn't really have them available. Bringing on Hall (and even Dummett for the dying minutes) could've been alright but it's not exactly easy to tell who he should've replaced as Tino and Tripps were always playing the full 90 and Miley didn't look that tired. Maybe for Isak and hope Gordon has something left up top.

Would've taken these results in the group 10 times out of 10 before KO today but that disgusting decision really leaves a sour taste and it's easy to forget a point is really good and PSG deserved something out of that for all that xG before the penalty.

Edited by Pata

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Yeah, they deserved a draw (or more). But they didn’t deserve that draw.

They were so bad in front of goal they didn’t deserve anything. They were never scoring from open play. 

I told my wife, as much as we look like we want to concede by constantly giving them the ball and inviting chances. PSG look more determined not to score. Half chance - miss. Good chance - Pope is going to save it. 

The thing that I think makes Eddie Howe a truly world class manager is his unusual (for this level of manager) ability to learn from his own mistakes. He took time after Bournemouth to overhaul his thought process defensively and has now become fantastic at drilling defensive shapes with us. 

For Milan and Dortmund, he didn't want the players to train at the stadium the night before the match, preferring to stay in Newcastle longer. But for this match he took the team over earlier for training and we absolutely looked far more comfortable as a result. 

He modified our pressing structure last year as the season went on, he modified the formation against PSG to operate more flat in a 4-5-1 rather than the 4-3-3, I could go on. 

He's humble and ready to admit when he gets it wrong. I was always told, 'Never waste a failure.' and I think he's a great example of that concept. 

And the players obviously respond to his methods. I cannot ask for more and I cannot imagine a better manager for us in the position we are in.

Not sure I'd have made a sub tbf. We rode our luck at times but we were at a stage where the players were drilled into doing one thing for about the last 20-30 minutes, fully focused. It's sometimes hard to get thrown into that and be expected to pick up on that straight away, more likely to switch off, or close down at the wrong time, etc. Thought we were fine.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 hours ago, Sufi said:

The penalty was bullshit. Shouldn’t have happened. 

If it doesn’t happen, we aren’t having this discussion.

This isn’t about Howe it’s about officiating. We played fantastic. 

Also the 8 extra minutes.

If he makes a sub last night it is an absolute punt of the most finger-in-the-air variety. Don't blame him at all for sticking with the players who'd held out for 94 minutes (i.e. the entire game in any other season).