Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Beth said:

I don't understand the kamikaze attacking when it was 1-1. We were never going to win the CL but could have gone far in the EL. It was like a blackjack player twisting on 20 hoping to get the ace.

We didn't spend all of last season trying to get into the Champions League to settle for the Europa. I would much rather my team lose while do everything they can to progress, then to settle for mediocrity and the Europa.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

We didn't spend all of last season trying to get into the Champions League to settle for the Europa. I would much rather my team lose while do everything they can to progress, then to settle for mediocrity and the Europa.

Well I'd rather be in the EL than nothing, and that's the best we can relistically hope for for next season now.

5 minutes ago, Beth said:

I don't understand the kamikaze attacking when it was 1-1. We were never going to win the CL but could have gone far in the EL. It was like a blackjack player twisting on 20 hoping to get the ace.

This is Pardew level thinking. Fortunately our current manager doesn’t think this way.

Eddie would be (rightly) getting ripped today if we shut up shop at 1-1 to hold on for a draw.

5 minutes ago, Beth said:

Respectfully disagree 

I love we tried to get through, it’s the sort of mentality that we need if we’re going to have success going forward. In situations like that, play to win. 

You are always a funny draw away from a deep run, all it takes is a few favourites not to win their group - just look at the two halves of the CL knockout draw last season. 

10 minutes ago, Beth said:

Low ambition mentality. Strive to be the best we can be is our new mantra and I love it.

The hell for leatherness was fine by me, it was the naivety when they were countering for their second that was a problem. Schar flew too close to the sun and then Isak for some reason didn't bring their player down, then Dubravka imo should have saved it. 

Eddie's philosophy is to attack games we are winning. It works 9/10 and is the reason why we batter so many sides. We are the most ruthless Newcastle side I've seen in this regard.

Yesterday was a day it didn't work.  Get a fucking grip of yourselves man. :lol: 

The reason it doesn't work has nowt to do with naivety but because

1 We are playing elite level sides, with ruthless attackers

2 The current 11 are absolutely knackered 

3 We've got very little on the bench to tweak things tactically

Going forwards, we will put sides to the sword in Europe but it won't have anything to do with our manager changing his philosophy but because we will continue to grow our squad and because we wont have this level of injuries.

Just now, STM said:

Eddie's philosophy is to attack games we are winning. It works 9/10 and is the reason why we batter so many sides. We are the most ruthless Newcastle side I've seen in this regard.

Yesterday was a day it didn't work.  Get a fucking grip of yourselves man. :lol: 

The reason it doesn't work has nowt to do with naivety but because

1 We are playing elite level sides, with ruthless attackers

2 The current 11 are absolutely knackered 

3 We've got very little on the bench to tweak things tactically

Going forwards, we will put sides to the sword in Europe but it won't have anything to do with our manager changing his philosophy but because we will continue to grow our squad and because we wont have this level of injuries.

Great take 

7 minutes ago, tgarve said:

We’re 4 points off 5th which will get champions league 

It probably won't though, due to us and Man U going out early. Spain will definitely get one of the two extra spots and it looks like Germany or Italy will get the other, unless City and Arsenal both get to the final.

9 minutes ago, tgarve said:

We’re 4 points off 5th which will get champions league 

Don’t think it will. Us and Man U going straight out puts a big hole in the coefficient boat. Germany, Italy and Spain are ahead in the current rankings 

6 minutes ago, Beth said:

It probably won't though, due to us and Man U going out early. Spain will definitely get one of the two extra spots and it looks like Germany or Italy will get the other, unless City and Arsenal both get to the final.

It's far from settled. City should go far and there will be three English teams in the Europe League knockouts + one in the Conference that should do well. 

If Mehrdad and Amanda retain the same influence, then Eddie Howe will be here for the long term.

If PIF get more involved and decide they want “a name” then there could be some changes in the future.

I think the effort last season took its toll and there’s definitely been an element of burnout.

The people we’ve signed haven’t really challenged the “starting 11” as such. It’s all medium to long term planning which is fine but for January I think we need a spark akin to Bruno arriving. The team really needs a lift.

Eddie Howe is the one person standing between us and the ownership ownership that is making this whole “project” not feel like we are the richest club on the planet and I for one love that. He has brought back, and since kept, the soul in this club and made us all love our club again. That doesn’t happen with any of the “elite” managers they could replace him with and I really hope the powers that be realize how priceless that is to them. 

The club just feels good right now. 

Edited by cubaricho

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agree with the points you are trying to make, however Pardew was an absolutely shit manager and a massive prick, that’s why people wanted him out. Can’t put his name in there with the others.

It doesn't matter. As a fanbase we have not backed a manager during a dissappointing season. There's no precedent. Not since i've followed the club in-depth anyway. That's my point. Not if we were right or wrong. And people are pretending otherwise but I see the grassroots of dissent on here under he disguise of Saudi ruthlessness.

Off the top of my head 94/95, 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 00/01 for one reason or another were all a bit disappointing but the manager was supported.

03/04 is the only season where a point could be made. Go beyond that and you're looking at seasons with multiple managers and managers who didn't deserve support if they didn't get it.

Edited by Kid Icarus

58 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

It's far from settled. City should go far and there will be three English teams in the Europe League knockouts + one in the Conference that should do well. 

Italy still have 7 teams left in Europe and Germany 6 with us and Man United going out it is a huge blow to 5th getting an extra CL spot

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Off the top of my head 94/95, 96/97, 97/98, 00/01 for one reason or another were all a bit disappointing but the manager was supported.

03/04 is the only season where a point could be made. Go beyond that and you're looking at seasons with multiple managers and managers who didn't deserve support if they didn't get it.

96/97 is one of my favourite seasons, Keegan’s departure aside. Final day of the season was absolutely brilliant: Us thrashing Forest and stealing 2nd / CL qualification, Boro and Mackems down. I vividly remember the walk from the Gallowgate to the Quayside and us being given Peter Reid monkey’s heed masks. Sun shining, party-like atmosphere.

Then the next 2 seasons were absolute shit apart from the cup finals. 

23 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

96/97 is one of my favourite seasons, Keegan’s departure aside. Final day of the season was absolutely brilliant: Us thrashing Forest and stealing 2nd / CL qualification, Boro and Mackems down. I vividly remember the walk from the Gallowgate to the Quayside and us being given Peter Reid monkey’s heed masks. Sun shining, party-like atmosphere.

End of that season was mad. Keegan never seemed to find a way of getting Ferdinand, Tino and Shearer in the same team, then the last few games it was as if Dalglish went against all his managerial beliefs, hoyed the three of them up top, turned Robbie Elliott into a goalscoring midfielder, and took us to the Champions League. 

21 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It had some amazing moments (the 5-0, 7-1, qualifying for the Champions League) but going into it with the expectation after signing Shearer, then Keegan leaving, the dirge football Dalglish had us playing, getting dicked by Monaco, Ginola being ostracised (my version of what Souness did with Robert)

I remember feeling really disappointed, particularly as Man United were nothing special that year. Finishing 2nd on 68 points is mental like :lol: