Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You can see how he got Bournemouth relegated. He’s great at motivating a core group of players to go out and execute his plan A.  With some injuries, bad luck, loss of momentum etc. he can go on a bad run and he doesn’t seem to do a whole lot to switch things up when things aren’t working well. He doesn’t mix things up for the sake of it which has its benefits and but also disadvantages. 

I’ve accepted we are in for pain until we play once a week and get players back.  We should still win most of our games at home but away, I’ve got no hope atm. 

Shut up 

10 minutes ago, Jagten said:

It's not clear whether his tactical strategy is sustainable, and to what extent it has made us especially vulnerable to fatigue + injury. If our press doesn't work, we're liable to be comfortably beaten. It is not clear whether he can, or will try, to manifest an evolution. I think as his influence has grown our talent ID has become worse, and we have evidenced a doubling down on his approach here. 

With respect to the champions league, we were not great throughout (I suspect this is unpopular but whatever). We should have lost to Milan away, and, despite the unfortunate nature of our PSG draw, they smashed us. Our 4-1 reverse against them flattered us, with respect to quality and volume of chances created. We were probably the weakest member of the group over the games played. 

You raise some fair points. However it's worth pointing out the initial injury crisis did not come about from fatigue. Tonali's ban, Barnes' broken foot, Murphy's dislocated shoulder, along with Burn and Anderson picking up freak back injuries were amongst the first casualties. Plenty of teams across Europe play an intense hight pressing game without picking up a boatload of injuries, but perhaps we should been more guarded when injuries started piling up.

Regarding our system and Europe, it's worth remembering we're very inexperienced at the very highest level. I'm sure both the players and the management team have learnt a great deal from it. The high press has served us very well to date, but it may require tweaking or additional quality to sustain it moving forward, which I'm sure will come.

Our talent ID seems fine, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is there.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You raise some fair points. However it's worth pointing out the initial injury crisis did not come about from fatigue. Tonali's ban, Barnes' broken foot, Murphy's dislocated shoulder, along with Burn and Anderson picking up freak back injuries were amongst the first casualties. Plenty of teams across Europe play an intense hight pressing game without picking up a boatload of injuries, but perhaps we should been more guarded when injuries started piling up.

Regarding our system and Europe, it's worth remembering we're very inexperienced at the very highest level. I'm sure both the players and the management team have learnt a great deal from it. The high press has served us very well to date, but it may require tweaking or additional quality to sustain it moving forward, which I'm sure will come.

Our talent ID seems fine, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is there.

Fair enough. I have uncertainty, and I hope the outcome is positive.

Re: talent ID, I don't think the r/r in 150m on Tonali, Barnes and Gordon is great, despite how little the former have played. I appreciate my apathy on Gordon is not popular.

Edited by Jagten

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Which manager doesn’t go on a bad run when they got injuries, bad luck and loss of momentum?

Was gonna say something similar - which manager would fare considerably better in this situation? Impossible to say, obviously, but I think Eddie can absolutely turn this around. The tactical shift today will hopefully be something we work on and push more for our away games. Genuinely think that once players like Barnes and Willock are back we will see a marked improvement away from home.

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I can also see how he took Bournemouth from ten points adrift at the foot of the entire Football League to being a PL club (albeit with a gap in the middle). 

Yeh me too. He’s a good manager and the best English manager by some distance. But he does have some limitations. Sticking to his plan and approach when it’s not working is one of them. 

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You can see how he got Bournemouth relegated. He’s great at motivating a core group of players to go out and execute his plan A.  With some injuries, bad luck, loss of momentum etc. he can go on a bad run and he doesn’t seem to do a whole lot to switch things up when things aren’t working well. He doesn’t mix things up for the sake of it which has its benefits and but also disadvantages. 

I’ve accepted we are in for pain until we play once a week and get players back.  We should still win most of our games at home but away, I’ve got no hope atm. 

Quick reminder that you wanted Gerrard 

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That first sentence. :lol: 

A valid argument sullied by a blatantly incendiary and pejorative tone. So fucking tedious.

What I’m saying Is true though.  People are just sensitive. As you say, the argument is solid. You just find the first line incendiary although the harshest part is a fact. 

I’ve not said he’s shit, or anything untrue. 

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s hard to disagree with this. In game changes are totally ineffective and it’s obvious that if we can’t execute our plan A, due to injuries or fateeeeg, we’re shite. 
Our plan A at full tilt is impressive but it’s also seriously flawed if we’re not able to run through brick walls.

The ‘no hope’ bit is a bit much, but confidence is not exactly high and do think EH has exposed his weaknesses a lot over the past few weeks.

5 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Was gonna say something similar - which manager would fare considerably better in this situation? Impossible to say, obviously, but I think Eddie can absolutely turn this around. The tactical shift today will hopefully be something we work on and push more for our away games. Genuinely think that once players like Barnes and Willock are back we will see a marked improvement away from home.

I don't actually think there's much to turn round tbh.

Our success has been almost entirely down to our intensity and ability to win the ball in the opponent's half. When you lose an entire team of players to injuries then fatigue will 100% cause that intensity to drop off, affording the opposition more time and space in possession.

Not being able to keep that intensity up by virtue of not having the depth in key positions is ultimately what is costing us. Players like Almiron, Gordon, Bruno, and even Isak (until recently) have been playing none stop for the best part of 2 months, some through injury. 

Does no one notice how no one's now not complaining about Howe making the substitutions at the 60 minute mark? 

Anderson, Joelinton, Willock, Murphy and Tonali are big big misses in key areas. 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

It’s hard to disagree with this. In game changes are totally ineffective and it’s obvious that if we can’t execute our plan A, due to injuries or fateeeeg, we’re shite. 
Our plan A at full tilt is impressive but it’s also seriously flawed if we’re not able to run through brick walls.

The ‘no hope’ bit is a bit much, but confidence is not exactly high and do think EH has exposed his weaknesses a lot over the past few weeks.

I just mean no hope until we get players back and injuries ease up. I don’t expect us to win on the road until that happens. 

Once we get players back and can rest up. We’ll win most of our games. Plan A will work most of the time. And we’ll get confidence and momentum back. I still think 7th is our floor this season which isn’t bad at all. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Where did I say I wanted Gerrard?

And even if I did, so what? What is your actual point?

my point is, you state your views with so much fact that you know with 100% confidence that you, and only you, are right. You’re another person on the internet with pretty average opinions about our manager. Easy as that.

Screenshot_20231218-214434-229.png

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

"He got Bournemouth relegated" isn't 'a fact', it's an opinion. And a characteristically insufferable one.

Goalline technology not working at Villa Park relegated Bournemouth

Edited by joeyt

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

"He got Bournemouth relegated" isn't 'a fact', it's an opinion. And a characteristically insufferable one.

He was the manager for the entire season Bournemouth were relegated. That was his squad in full. If it was another manager - we would say that manager relegated the team. 

I don’t put a whole lot of stock in that. As others have said. He took them all the way up the football pyramid playing good football too. How can such a talented manager get relegated from the PL with a side that had been up for 2 or 3 seasons? I can see how with a little bad luck it could spiral.  That Bournemouth fan said he was ‘streaky’ and i see it. There’s a fair amount of hard running and ‘sticking in there’ when the going is tough in Howe-ball that works when the chips are up, but won’t work when the chips are down.  

10 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

my point is, you state your views with so much fact that you know with 100% confidence that you, and only you, are right. You’re another person on the internet with pretty average opinions about our manager. Easy as that.

Screenshot_20231218-214434-229.png

Point me to where I said Steven Gerrard would be a categorical success as Newcastle manager. I never said that. 

I never watched Rangers play so I know i could not have emphatically been in favour of him getting the job.  Because I do not speak in the absolutes that you claim I do. 

I’ve not even said anything particular disparaging about Howe. You just don’t like it.  

Edit: didn’t see the image. Yeh that’s hardly a ringing endorsement. I think he could’ve got a new manager boost at the least. That’s it. We didn’t win for some time when Howe started (hired in Nov, didn’t win until late Jan iirc) so that’s where that came from.  We spent some money, Howe found his feet and we’ve not looked back. 

Edited by The College Dropout

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He was the manager for the entire season Bournemouth were relegated. That was his squad in full. If it was another manager - we would say that manager relegated the team. 

I don’t put a whole lot of stock in that. As others have said. He took them all the way up the football pyramid playing good football too. How can such a talented manager get relegated from the PL with a side that had been up for 2 or 3 seasons? I can see how with a little bad luck it could spiral.  That Bournemouth fan said he was ‘streaky’ and i see it. There’s a fair amount of hard running and ‘sticking in there’ when the going is tough in Howe-ball that works when the chips are up, but won’t work when the chips are down.  

We've had champions league form since January 2021 and are currently 7 points adrift of CL this year round.

What 'streak' are you exactly seeing that others aren't?