Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Robson deserved to go and was sacked far, far too late.  The players turned on him as much as anything.  Piss poor away form, indifferent home performances and some bad signings finished him.  NUFC’s poor timing and even worse idea of a replacement was the issue, not showing Robson the door

Agree that we don’t know PIF’s thoughts though.

edit: also, no-one ‘hounded’ Robson out, regardless of what RTG says.  People didn’t stay for a lap of honour vs Wolves, after we chucked away 4th.  Neither did I, the beer wasn’t going to drink itself. 

The situation was complicated, but Robson's say over the signings was limited. Freddie Shepherd was a poor Chairman, getting over-involved in the football side and listening to too many other opinions. Sir Bob's successor experienced the same problem.

There were divisions within the dressing room yes, but Robson's position and authority as manager had been undermined. He needed and wanted to move Shearer on, but Shearer had become bigger than the club and one way or another was exerting too much influence. Shepherd had the dream of Shearer taking over the manager and both he, the local paper and most supporters ended up backing the wrong guy. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

At the end of the day, we had three successive top five finishes. We've not come anywhere near that achievement since.

Edited by Cronky

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

The situation was complicated, but Robson's say over the signings was limited. Freddie Shepherd was a poor Chairman, getting over-involved in the football side and listening to too many other opinions. Sir Bob's successor experienced the same problem.

There were divisions within the dressing room yes, but Robson's position and authority as manager had been undermined. He needed and wanted to move Shearer on, but Shearer had become bigger than the club and one way or another was exerting too much influence. Shepherd had the dream of Shearer taking over the manager and both he, the local paper and most supporters ended up backing the wrong guy. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

At the end of the day, we had three successive top five finishes. We've not come anywhere near that achievement since.

I think Robson being shown the door with Shearer wouldn’t have been the worst outcome, tbh.

Three successive top five finishes starting in 2001 isn’t as impressive as it seems today.  Despite finishing bottom half in the previous four seasons, Newcastle’s income in 2000-01 was £1m less than Liverpool’s.  We were a big, rich club - Robson had money to spend.  He did a good job but his time was up - he should have walked in 2004.  

I always thought NUFC’s comments after the Wolves game summed it up neatly:

’Bobby may wail about bleeding black and white and pin on his toon army medals, but he was many, many miles away when we suffered in near-silence the tribulations of the Dalglish and Gullit eras. It's a mite unfair, but those on the field on Sunday bore the brunt of successive failed administrations and countless regrettable signings in recent decades.

Thanks for trying Bobby, but it's defeated you, like all the rest. We've cheered you, we've supported you and now we just plain don't believe you anymore. And neither do the players. We got close, we've almost failed. Again.’

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think Robson being shown the door with Shearer wouldn’t have been the worst outcome, tbh.

Three successive top five finishes starting in 2001 isn’t as impressive as it seems today.  Despite finishing bottom half in the previous four seasons, Newcastle’s income in 2000-01 was £1m less than Liverpool’s.  We were a big, rich club - Robson had money to spend.  He did a good job but his time was up - he should have walked in 2004.  

I always thought NUFC’s comments after the Wolves game summed it up neatly:

’Bobby may wail about bleeding black and white and pin on his toon army medals, but he was many, many miles away when we suffered in near-silence the tribulations of the Dalglish and Gullit eras. It's a mite unfair, but those on the field on Sunday bore the brunt of successive failed administrations and countless regrettable signings in recent decades.

Thanks for trying Bobby, but it's defeated you, like all the rest. We've cheered you, we've supported you and now we just plain don't believe you anymore. And neither do the players. We got close, we've almost failed. Again.’

Well, I guess we'll never know how things would have turned out, short and long-term, if at the start of that season, Robson had been allowed to replace Shearer. He wasn't given the chance to back his judgement.

What was apparent was that, after his dismissal, no manager of repute at the time would touch the job with a barge pole, knowing what was going on behind the scenes. We ended up with our fifth choice man in Souness. 

12 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Fucking hell what is with all these daft rumours today? Like Trippier people need to find reasons for errors beyond the person in question simply being fallible. Eddie Howe’s personal life is to blame for us not being able to string 3 passes together away from home.

Eh? What rumours? I am aware that Ashworth is supposedly being tapped up, heard nothing about Howe's position though. Is this just forum self-generated bullshit?

9 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Likewise - though I find myself curious as to what the bullshit story is 

I think it was a now hidden post to the extent of "I hear he has personal problems" but posted in this thread by mistake instead of Trippier.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Eh? What rumours? I am aware that Ashworth is supposedly being tapped up, heard nothing about Howe's position though. Is this just forum self-generated bullshit?

I've seen a couple of pieces on Football 365 since the cup qf. They mention him being under pressure after 2 cup exits in a week. Also Jose gets mentioned. Was surprised because they don't normally go for low hanging fruit like this. 

Has it been anywhere else?

Edited by spudwiser

23 minutes ago, buzza said:

No chance Eddie goes anywhere. We are light years ahead of schedule.

A couple of bad results do not make a season, hopefully we get some more players back over the next week or two (Isak, Barnes, Schar)

I agree with you that Eddie ought not be going anytime soon - unfortunately I do harbor some worry that the PIF will be less patient than the fans. End of the day this is an investment for them, and they won't like feeling like they've been kicked in the pants a year after qualifying for Champions League football.

37 minutes ago, buzza said:

No chance Eddie goes anywhere. We are light years ahead of schedule.

A couple of bad results do not make a season, hopefully we get some more players back over the next week or two (Isak, Barnes, Schar)

Okay but what three players are getting injured to replace those three? 

11 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

I agree with you that Eddie ought not be going anytime soon - unfortunately I do harbor some worry that the PIF will be less patient than the fans. End of the day this is an investment for them, and they won't like feeling like they've been kicked in the pants a year after qualifying for Champions League football.

They aren't stupid. They will question why to everything. Why did we do so well last season ? Why hasn't it been replicated? Are tge staff "to blame" ? Can we get better management staff ?

1 hour ago, TRon said:

There was a post above mine regarding his personal life that’s since been deleted.

Just now, gbandit said:

Can’t read it, is it tripe? When they’re talking about pressure, are they talking about from the board rather than fans?

Neither. Neutrals. :lol: So no pressure at all. Tripe it is. 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Can’t read it, is it tripe? When they’re talking about pressure, are they talking about from the board rather than fans?

Neither. Says it’s coming from outsiders (not fans of NUFC or anyone on the board) who view Howe as our Mark Hughes at City appointment. What an absolute dogshit article. I subscribed to the Athletic because they were knocking out quality content over quantity. Now they’re just waffling on about any old shit now. 

If the club did sack him, which they won't, what top class manager would want to come?

Fighting for Europe in the league, and almost getting out of the CL group of death, with half your squad missing.

If that's a sackable offense, no top class manager would touch us!

I honestly think he's still working miracles given the amount of injuries we've had he still has is us competing and on our day I think we can beat anyone. Obviously disappointed with going out of the cup and Europe but I just see that as a joint disappointed with Eddie and the team like we're in this together.

Edited by WideopenMag

1 minute ago, Joe1984 said:

If the club did sack him, which they won't, what top class manager would want to come?

Fighting for Europe in the league, and almost getting out of the CL group of death, with half your squad missing.

If that's a sackable offense, no top class manager would touch us!

Simeone. Howe lay the foundations for our shithousing. We may as well go out and get the master of all shithousery. We’ll be terrible to watch but it’ll be 100% worth it when we win the league with a +7 GD after Isak scores an 87th minute winner at Anfield, having deployed a 9-1-1 formation and Simeone is galloping down the touchline to the away end. 

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

Impressive being able to write an article of reasonable length and yet say absolutely nothing of value, insight or substance. 

He did it the other day as well did Waugh. 5,000 plus words just to say Hall was eligible to play against Chelsea in the cup. 

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Simeone. Howe lay the foundations for our shithousing. We may as well go out and get the master of all shithousery. We’ll be terrible to watch but it’ll be 100% worth it when we win the league with a +7 GD after Isak scores an 87th minute winner at Anfield, having deployed a 9-1-1 formation and Simeone is galloping down the touchline to the away end. 

Well as long as we finally beat them... 🤣

6 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

He did it the other day as well did Waugh. 5,000 plus words just to say Hall was eligible to play against Chelsea in the cup. 

He's got two computers and I don't even know what he uses them for.