Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

My point is not whether people were right or wrong. But the fans were not patient. 

Tbf once he had his stooge in situ. Mike Ashley was a very patient owner. 

Patience had  very little to do with wanting Pardew out like.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Patience had  very little to do with wanting Pardew out like.

Nobody liked Pardew from the start anyway. But iirc Pardew out was the season after?

We aren’t unique in this regard. But we aren’t patient. 

It all depends on the owners and upper management.  Arsenal are reaping the benefits of being patient with the right manager. Most fans would’ve seen him sacked after they finished 8th in his first full season.  

We have the right manager in place.

I have never seen teams be successful by changing managers constantly but I have seen clubs achieve success by allowing a good manager to grow and be a great one.

Eddie has already shown that he can galvanize a side to be better than it's separate parts. We were a year to early for UCL for where our squad was.

It's a simple formula, we have to keep upgrading players who are currently starters. We are more limited by FFP rules than those who we are competing with.

I was bitterly disappointed with the Milan loss, we had them and let it slip but we move on.

Following this club for over 50 years from near and afar I am now confident that we will win silverware and Eddie will be orchestrating it.

Just now, Convict said:

We have the right manager in place.

I have never seen teams be successful by changing managers constantly but I have seen clubs achieve success by allowing a good manager to grow and be a great one.

Eddie has already shown that he can galvanize a side to be better than it's separate parts. We were a year to early for UCL for where our squad was.

It's a simple formula, we have to keep upgrading players who are currently starters. We are more limited by FFP rules than those who we are competing with.

I was bitterly disappointed with the Milan loss, we had them and let it slip but we move on.

Following this club for over 50 years from near and afar I am now confident that we will win silverware and Eddie will be orchestrating it.

Chelsea done okay with this formula over the last few decades.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Nobody liked Pardew from the start anyway. But iirc Pardew out was the season after?

We aren’t unique in this regard. But we aren’t patient. 

It all depends on the owners and upper management.  Arsenal are reaping the benefits of being patient with the right manager. Most fans would’ve seen him sacked after they finished 8th in his first full season.  

I'd agree generally speaking fans aren't patient, particularly when their club is used to success.

Pardew was disliked because he chose to be an Ashley mouthpiece and assists with the systematic lowering of expectations of the club. "Thank God we're not in Europe" and blaming the fans for defeat was the beginning of the end for him.

I’ll support managers I believe in to the hilt. I can’t really conceive of what would make me stop believing in Howe. It would have to be a total change in his footballing philosophy. Pardew, I turned on in that season we finished 5th as I could see he was an absolute charlatan. Fair play to him for achieving 5th, fair play as well for being a snide wanker who had absolutely no understanding of how to manage players, build a team, coach players, create tactical systems. 

Howe has clearly evidenced that he’s an elite coach and an incredible man manager. I don’t really see any flaws in him other than his choice to rotate and in-game substitutions being up for debate. Everything else is phenomenal and the reason why we’ll win something with him within the next two years if he’s still here 

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Howe has clearly evidenced that he’s an elite coach and an incredible man manager. I don’t really see any flaws in him other than his choice to rotate and in-game substitutions being up for debate. Everything else is phenomenal and the reason why we’ll win something with him within the next two years if he’s still here 

Dont think hes elite just yet . Hes still relatively inexperienced and yet to win anything . 

There no way he’s evidenced he’s an elite coach. I love Eddie but that’s basically an absurd thing to say.

He has shown himself to have a lot of potential, a very fine man manager who consistently improves players and a fantastic ambassador for the club - and pretty much exactly what we needed this past 2 years. Elite is something else completely.

37 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We don’t have examples of taking a proper backwards step and our fans wanting to stick with the manager. 

Yeah because you're making lazy assumptions about our fanbase when there isn't enough evidence to support it. You've given two examples, one of them was a shit manager and the other was a legend but was very old and had shown signs of losing control of the players, and the team had shown signs of decline. 

Almost all of the other managers we've had have been shit and unpopular. There is no other example like Howe. In fact there is - Kevin Keegan. 3rd in our first season back up in the PL, down to 6th in the 2nd and we sold Cole to Man Utd which he was keen to justify. There was no mutiny, the fans stuck with him. You're talking shite. 

Edited by Interpolic

3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

There no way he’s evidenced he’s an elite coach. I love Eddie but that’s basically an absurd thing to say.

He has shown himself to have a lot of potential, a very fine man manager who consistently improves players and a fantastic ambassador for the club - and pretty much exactly what we needed this past 2 years. Elite is something else completely.

Absurd? Surely not 'absurd'. What qualifies as elite in any case? Does it just mean Pep? Cos tbh he's the only one in the league against whom a comparison would be absurd imo. Who else in the league is streets ahead of Howe?

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

One bad season and people want the manager gone. A bad season where we finished 5th and got to a European semi final too. 

I went to most games that season, and anyone else who did wouldn’t write what you’ve written there.  Context is important - it doesn’t matter if the Ashley years proved to be awful.  Robson was finished and we could all see it - he’d lost the support of the fans, dressing room and owners.  But we should have kept him on.  Aye, alright - we were just impatient.  

59 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Absurd? Surely not 'absurd'. What qualifies as elite in any case? Does it just mean Pep? Cos tbh he's the only one in the league against whom a comparison would be absurd imo. Who else in the league is streets ahead of Howe?

One who wins trophies would be a good starter for ten

37 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

One who wins trophies would be a good starter for ten

That qualifies Ten Hag and Moyes on the basis of last season then. 

It's a made up, meaningless term that for some reason is very vogue these days. Howe is clearly a fantastic manager who's among the very best in the league. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

That qualifies Ten Hag and Moyes on the basis of last season then. 

It's a made up, meaningless term that for some reason is very vogue these days. Howe is clearly a fantastic manager who's among the very best in the league. 

Yep, wouldn’t dispute that.  Howe isn’t on Guardiola or Klopp’s level, I’m not sure he’s Emery’s level tbh, but I’d say he’s the equal of Arteta etc.  He’s a better manager / coach than Ten Hag & Moyes, of course. 

Not sure about the "elite" thing but I think Eddie's only major missing piece when compared to some of the names bandied about is his lack of European competition / "big table" experience and fighting on that extra front, which obviously is taking a huge step forwards this year with the experiences we're going through.

We've seen how he learns and strives for self-improvement, another 2 or 3 European campaigns under his belt and more experience in big games and finals etc and there's no reason why he can't be in that "elite" category, however you define it. The trophies etc will come.

He's definitely got the tools and the mindset to be right up there, he just hasn't been exposed to enough of the scenarios above at the top level due to a long "road less travelled" at Bournemouth. The experiences he'll have had there taking the club from its knees and big pressure games, winning promotions etc will be worth their weight in gold, now he's doing it again but just at the very top level with more money, more pressure, more exposure and against the very very best. 

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

Not sure about the "elite" thing but I think Eddie's only major missing piece when compared to some of the names bandied about is his lack of European competition / "big table" experience and fighting on that extra front, which obviously is taking a huge step forwards this year with the experiences we're going through.

We've seen how he learns and strives for self-improvement, another 2 or 3 European campaigns under his belt and more experience in big games and finals etc and there's no reason why he can't be in that "elite" category, however you define it. The trophies etc will come.

He's definitely got the tools and the mindset to be right up there, he just hasn't been exposed to enough of the scenarios above at the top level due to a long "road less travelled" at Bournemouth. The experiences he'll have had there taking the club from its knees and big pressure games, winning promotions etc will be worth their weight in gold, now he's doing it again but just at the very top level with more money, more pressure, more exposure and against the very very best. 

Yep, this is pretty much where I am with it too.  Give Howe another European campaign and I think we’ll all see what he learned from it.  Experience makes a hell of a difference - no reason that Howe can’t have a reputation in line with the biggest names

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

You're correct, he isn't elite and can't be classed as elite until he starts to really challenge regularly at the top and brings a trophy or two.

If the club allow and Eddie stays hungry then I see no reason why he can't become elite.

But...time will tell on this.